Helmets Looking for a Quiet Modular Helmet

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It looks to me that the triangular moldings on the side of the Neotec II for the Sena SRL might interfere with mounting a conventional BT device.
I think the point of offering a dedicated system for the Neo is that you wouldn't use a conventional BT device given the advantages an integrated unit over a conventional add-on.

That said it might still be possible to use a BT unit from the old helmet just be replacing the two Allen screws with longer ones if there's still a gap between helmet and liner to slide the internal mounting bracket.

Regardless— if I got a Neo II I'd get that low profile SRL. Which is also to say that if I was now in the market for a new helmet I'd wait for the NII. It doesn't offer enough to make me give up my current Neo but if I needed a new hat...

My 20S' antenna was shortstopped by the internal visor lever but Sena anticipated that. I used the extra pads for the mounting bracket and the antenna gave the lever clearance.

IMNSHO I don't believe there is a such thing as a quiet motorcycle helmet. There are just two categories: 1) Noiser and 2) Not as Noisy. The least noise helmet I even had was my old Bell Star with a Lockhart neck warmer. I still have both. :rofl1: Even that wasn't as quiet as riding without a helmet.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Another vote for the Neotec here, I mounted Quiet Ride earmuffs in it, and it is quiet as the grave. I added headphone drivers to the muffs, and I estimate it attenuates about 85% of the noise. Even before "inflating" the muffs, the attenuation is impressive.

The Neotec, prior to installing the Quiet Ride muffs, was pretty quiet. I did not realize HOW quiet 'til I opened up the top vent, and heard the incoming rush of air.

I had tried a Schuberth, but it was just TOO damn hot, even in mild temps. Not enough air flow, and VERY pricey. I was lucky to have a friend who had one, and did not like it either, so let me try it for a week.

I'd buy another Neotec in a minute.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
There are just two categories: 1) Noiser and 2) Not as Noisy.
Will agree too! Custom fit ear plugs, a great answer. Custom fit in ear speakers, even a better answer!!

As far as Nolan 104 (now 104 Evo) and the Sena unit mounting. it will work. I have a Sena 10 mounted on my Nolan 104 and the Sena 20 on my girls 104 Evo.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
All,

I am amazed at how many people wear ear plugs. I am an all-day rider (8-12 hrs, plus) and I don't like anything in my ear. So ear plugs are not really an option for me. But please keep it coming and maybe I'll do an analysis of how many people do / don't wear ear plugs in the end.

JohnConner
: bgw1:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I wear ear plugs too... makes the ride much more enjoyable. I sleep better with them as well.

Have you tried any lately? There are about a million different types, even some that are custom formed and some that don't expand in your ear canal.

I've used Mighty Plugs and they work very well.

Bike
2006 ST non abs
I guess I'm an unofficial crash test dummy for HJC Sy-Max IIIs. I've used up two of them. I'm on my third and I wear earplugs each and every time I ride. I no have worries that the chin bar coming loose as it has worked as advertised each pavement surfing event. A quiet helmet, not so much. After a career in Army Aviation sitting next to engines, I always wear earplugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Generally, modular helmets are bigger, heavier and louder than full face helmets.

Here's the best modular helmets for 2018 according to web bike world https://www.webbikeworld.com/wbw-recommend-best-modular-helmets/

I'm on my 2nd Neotec. I like it but it's not quiet compared to a full face, so I wear earplugs too, ... like most others here.
Not sure I'd trust an article with language as, "While we haven’t tested a C4 hands-on"

What, you name it, but havent tested it?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure I'd trust an article with language as, "While we haven’t tested a C4 hands-on"

I would trust WBW more than so called journalists who only regurgitate the company press releases.

The C4 has all the features of the C3 (picked best overall) and adds improvements, and was named "Best" in the Fully Loaded category not "overall".

"....The Schuberth C4 is the long-awaited update our top-pick, the C3 Pro, and bakes in a few choice upgrades that make it the segment-leader in terms of technology and design. ...."

But, as always, YMMV.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have bought helmets for 13 years from a mom and pop retail store in Daytona. I can try on different brands and sizes and I trust the guys at The Helmet Shop, a family business. I have bought Scorpion, HJC, and Shoei helmets from the many brands they rep. When I came in to replace my first Neotec in 2016 I thought I wanted to buy the C3. I liked the lightness of it but the owner talked me out of buying it because he said they have had what he considered too many warranty issues with Schuberth helmets and he pointed out certain differences in trim and interior parts compared to the Shoei. He said it was my money but he wanted me to be happy for the 4 or 5 years I'd keep it. YMMV as always.

I would trust WBW more than so called journalists who only regurgitate the company press releases.

The C4 has all the features of the C3 (picked best overall) and adds improvements, and was named "Best" in the Fully Loaded category not "overall".

"....The Schuberth C4 is the long-awaited update our top-pick, the C3 Pro, and bakes in a few choice upgrades that make it the segment-leader in terms of technology and design. ...."

But, as always, YMMV.
Understood ... I can personally attest to the C3Pro and RPHA Max, and I'm sure the C4 might be comparable, but dont vote it in without testing

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

That's fair. Call it the way you see it. You're the only judge for you.

I make it a point to never get emotionally attached to a product or company.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have a Schulbreth C3 Pro that I got off eBay, worn once, for $400. Great deal and I am very happy with it..
My head is big, and long, and the XL helmet fits me fine. Very quiet for a modular, plus it is a good looking helmet. Very comfortable. Has lots of great features, the most important are the sturdy locking mechanism, the ratcheting chin strap, and the excellent internal sun shade. These are bound to go down from the $700 price with the introduction of the C4. I do not know anything about the new one, but I highly recommend the C3 Pro. Beware, visors are $$.

Also, if you want a great helmet for a lot less $, try a Nolan N104. I have the plain Jane one and it has been a great helmet, too, for six years. They have since come out with the EVO and the Absolute, not sure about the difference, but mine suits me fine. It has the same great features as the Schulbreth, plus a BIG, visor area.

Top Bottom