Helmets Looking for a Quiet Modular Helmet

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
All,

I've been riding with a modular helmet for several years now. I really enjoy being able to pop open the helmet to get some air or feel less like Darth Vader when I'm talking to someone at a stop. One thing that bugs me over the standard full-face helmet is the noise of the modular. I have had a Scorpion 900, which I liked a lot for the slider tinted visor. The height could be adjusted so I could have untinted vision of the instruments and GPS, and still have a tinted road view. But I moved on as I bought it too small and would get headaches from the pressure on my TMJ. I now have a HJC Max II which has a locking, spring loaded tinted visor. It also is a little large on the top of my head in order to have my cheeks fit. And it leaks in the rain. (The Scorpion didn't.) Both of these were significantly noisier than the Scorpion 400 series that I had before.

I'm now ready to invest in a premium modular, if it will be worth it from a noise and comfort standpoint. So two questions to the group:
- Who makes a quiet modular?
- Who makes a modular that is compatible with a Sena bolted on the left side lip?

The second question is because upon reviewing helmets at RevZilla I noticed things like the Nolan 104, Scheuberth C3, Scorpion 3000 and a few others, have the visor slider on the left rim of the helmet, right about where a Sena or other BT headset would bolt on.

So does anyone have any advice, based on experience with your helmet choices? Don't want this to turn into a gripe session but would like to hear what you think, good and bad, about your modular, on noise levels and comfort.

Thanks!

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Hi,
Like you I am ready to invest in a premium modular helmet.
While I can’t offer any advice or feedback because I have never owned one, I will mention that there is a Shoei Neotec 2 arriving soon, as well as a new HJC modular, RPHA 90.
You may want to check those out!
I’m planning to.
Cheers,
Jeff

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
John, I have always ridden with a full face. That is until recently I decided to go with a modular. I bought the HJC Syn Max III and although I have not tried any other ones, I’m quite satisfied with it. As for noise level, maybe just a small amount over my full face HJC’s that I’ve had.

Guess that the one thing that concerns me is it going to stay shut in an accident? Reason I say this is I was totaled out in Oct 2013 and slid 150 on my back after getting hit from behind and although my HJC looks nasty, it did the job it was designed for.

While I do wonder if the Max III will hold up as good, I really have NO DESIRE to test it. Once was more than enough.

Good luck on your search.
Gary

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am happy with my Shoei Neotec as well as my Scorpion 950. Both work with my Sena SMH10 units. I would say the Neotec is quieter however, I also ride with ear plugs so my noise evaluation may not be valid.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's always quiet in my Neotec with earplugs and the Sena 20S does not interfere with the visor control.

The Neotec flows a ton of air if you like ventilation. Is the new model of the Neotec worth waiting for when the current one works so well?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I went away from a Scorpion 900 because the dealer said they were being discontinued and he could no longer get replacement shields. I ended up with a Bell Revolver modular and mounted my Sena a little further back to miss the inner shield mechanism. But I think the Bell is noisier than the Scorpion.

John

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have the Shoei Neotec as my touring helmet, in Silver. I like the internal sun visor and I run the SENA SMH10R which I can hear well with earplugs. A good setup for me. Lots of air flow. It came with the pinlock anti fog.

I think the Neotec is reasonably quiet but I always wear earplugs. All helmets I have had are noisy to my ears and I don't think a 'quiet helmet' exists, for me, only some that are quieter than others. I am very cautious about helmets advertised as 'quiet' and in general assume they will be as noisy as the rest.

My last two helmets have been shoei. Very nicely made and last well. I can recommend. Shoei internals also fit my head shape well. I also like the increased side (wider) vision in the Neotec, changing highway lanes etc.

Re safety of the Neotec modular, I also thought about it but I assume Shoei has done its homework.

Cheers, D

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I had a couple of Scorpion helmets and liked them. But I switched to a RPHA and absolutely love it! Lighter, quieter, and bigger eyeport. My Scala mounts fine.

Prior to this purchase I did look at the Neotec but it doesn't fit my head comfortably.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Neotec user here, yes quieter than other modulars I had previously.... not tried the RPHA.....
The Neotec 2 to me has minor improvements for the next time.... you'll see the current Neotecs being cleared out for some real savings.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have had a Shoei Multitec, and then a Shoei Neotec but I now have a Schuberth C3 Pro.

Sena 20s base fitted on all these helmets.

The Schuberth is definitely lighter and quieter than either of the Shoei helmets. Expensive, but then I only have one brain.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm on my second NeoTec, really happy with it. I think that all of the modulars will be noisier than a full face, but the Shoei seems reasonably quiet to me. I still wear earplugs on anything other than short rides. I like the sun visor mechanism on the Shoei better than my old Symax 2. Also, the Shoei fits my head better than anything else I've worn: there's room for my chin, it fits my head shape, and the sun visor doesn't hit my glasses. If there's a new version of the NeoTec coming, there will likely be discounts on the current version. I got a pretty good deal on my NeoTec; a search of the forum might yield the name of the company. I think I paid around $450.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Shoei's site doesn't give much info about what's new with the Neotec II except for the Sena SRL thing. And no real info on that.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I have Nolan N104. I can't really compare it to other modulars for how quiet it is. I suspect that the Sena stuck on the side may in fact create quite a bit of noise on its own.
To answer your questions, I have an Sena SMH10 on the left side and it does work okay with the sun visor control. I am using double sided tape to mount the Sena and have not had any issues.
The N104 has a very large view port and that is great for vision. Unfortunately, it also causes issues. The large visor is flexible and doesn't seal well. The helmet leaks in the rain and the pinlock doesn't seal to the inside well enough to work. I also have an issue with the sun visor rubbing and eventually I end up with a mark right down the center.
I sent it back under warranty and Nolan USA service was great. They replaced the seal and sun visor and adjusted the mechanism. Unfortunately all the problems came back quickly and I didn't want to shell out another $45 to ship the helmet back again.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I now have 2 Neotec helmets (one for each ST for the wireless brake light on the helmet)- I also ride with Plugfones brand BT earplugs- there's still some wind noise, but more likely because I ride with a short shield, so maybe with a taller shield, it might be quieter. As above, ventilation in the helmet is excellent. The mechanism on the helmet (chi bar movement) is very smooth as is the drop down tint shield and it has the pin lock lens so no fogging. If a Neotec 2 is coming out, it'll drop the price of the current Neotec so that could save you some money as well (this happened when the Neotec replaced the Multitec).

Good luck in your choice. I'm sure they're all good but I prefer the Shoei

This is from Revzilla regarding the Neotec Shoei Neotec II Helmet

The Shoei Neotec 2 helmet finds ways to improve upon an already exceptional modular touring helmet. Exhaust outlets complement the upper air intake vents for improved air flow. Wind tunnel testing optimized the Neotec 2's aerodynamics to perform in a variety of riding positions. The integrated shell spoiler is repositioned to better reduce lift and drag at speed, while the Aero Deflector along the chin bar adds stability. A micro ratchet chin strap makes securing the helmet and removing the helmet quick and easy. Noise Isolator cheek pads improve the seal along the neck opening of the helmet to keep turbulent air out. The 360 Pivot Locking System secures the chin bar in the down locked position and a multi-piece EPS liner made out of varying densities of foam absorbs impact energy. The Shoei Neotec 2 is designed to integrate with the Sena SRL Communication System for a clean and low profile installation. All of these features combine to produce one of the ultimate long distance touring helmets.

Aerodynamic Shell Design

Aerodynamic properties are maximized through extensive wind tunnel testing
Dual-layer EPS liner enhances impact absorption and ventilation
Four shell sizes and five liners present increased fit options that help to comfortably fit most head sizes from XS through XXL
Shoei's exclusive, state-of-the-art shell forming technology incorporates the aerodynamic advantages of a spoiler right into the shell of the Neotec 2
Vortex Generator on the face cover and visor works to reduce noise and manage air flow around the helmet
Flip-Up Face Cover and Face Shield

360º Pivot Locking System made of high quality stainlees steel components, ensures a safe and secure closure
Enlarged single-button release for chin bar and shield allows ease of use with riding gloves
Increased space inside the chin bar was added by adjusting the shape to create a smart and light design
Opening the face cover up will automatically close the face shield
Sun Shield System

Built-in QSV-1 inner sun shield gives riders instant relief from sun glare in one quick motion
Meets ANSI Z80.3-2010 standard for non-prescription eyeglasses
Large and easy to reach slide switch activates the 3D injection-molded inner sun shield
Distortion-free shield blocks 99% of harmful UV rays
Forehead area of the outer shell is raised slightly to accommodate the internal sun shield. This allows the integrity of the helmet's inner EPS liner to remain intact.
Ventilation System

Shoei's wind tunnels helped to reveal the optimal balance between airflow and silence
Large lower vent shutter for ease of use with riding gloves optimizes air flow while in the riding position
All-new exhaust outlets flank adjustable upper air intake for improved hot-air expulsion
Micro Ratchet Chin Strap

100% stainless steel interlocking mechanism
Quick and smooth closure and release
Comfortable and easily adjustable
Noise Reduction

All-new Noise Isolator cheek pads deflect wind and reduce unwanted noise
New airtight window bead and the chin bar's Vortex Generator lip reduce noise and manage airflow around the helmet
Enhanced shell shape improves noise control and aerodynamics
3D Interior Liner System

Entire interior liner (cheek pads, upper liner, and chin strap covers) is easily removed for cleaning or replacement
Each component of the inner liner is ergonomically designed to offer the ultimate in safety, fit, and comfort
Comfortable, 3D helmet liner material quickly dissipates moisture
Eyeglass compatible interior is optimized for many different sizes of eyeglasses, while still minimizing gaps that can cause excess interior noise
CNS-3 Shield and Base Plate System

All-new design provides approved air/water sealing and noise reduction
Protects from 99% of the sun's damaging UV rays
3D injection-molding ensures distortion-free view throughout the entire field of vision
CNS-3 base plate system facilitates smooth and easy shield changes and a wind and waterproof seal
New airtight window beading drains and prevents water from entering the helmet
Comes equipped with a Pinlock EVO fog-insert lens
New shell design improves noise control and aerodynamics

So it looks like new padding to reduce noise in addition to a bunch of other upgrades.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Schuberth brags that theirs is the only helmet that is sound rated. I bought mine just before the new model came out so I cannot speak for the C3 Pro. Mine flows almost no air through the ventilating holes and this was evidently a complaint that Schuberth heard. They say the new model flows 40% more air, (to which I say, double nothing is still nothing).

Bottom line, you will be happiest with the helmet that fits your head so go try various brands on and Then make the selection.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Shoei's site doesn't give much info about what's new with the Neotec II except for the Sena SRL thing. And no real info on that.
It looks to me that the triangular moldings on the side of the Neotec II for the Sena SRL might interfere with mounting a conventional BT device.

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec-ii-features-summary

https://www.sena.com/product/srl/#overview

I tried to like the old Neotec, but it put too much pressure on my jaw and teeth for comfort. I still need to replace my old RF1100, but haven't decided with what. Probably an RF-SR, but we'll see.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I had a couple of Scorpion helmets and liked them. But I switched to a RPHA and absolutely love it! Lighter, quieter, and bigger eyeport. My Scala mounts fine.

Prior to this purchase I did look at the Neotec but it doesn't fit my head comfortably.

Gizmo,

The HJC RPHA looks like a full face helmet, not a modular, correct?

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
All,

Thanks for the great input so far. I'm planning to visit the Cleveland bike show next weekend and try on a lot of helmets for fit. But knowing if I should focus in on a few brands specifically is a big help. Please keep the advise coming! :)

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
The HJC RPHA looks like a full face helmet, not a modular, correct?
Last time I looked the HJC RPHA was available in Modular with internal sun visor (RPHA-MAX), Full Face with internal sun visor (RPHA-ST), and Full Face no internal sun visor (RPHA11?)

I use RPHA-MAX with Sena SMH10R and plugphones. Nothing is quiet behind an ST1300 windscreen. Lots of turbulence that can be improved upon but not eliminated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom