Helmets Looking for a Quiet Modular Helmet

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Looks like Shoei has come out with the Neotec II. Supposed to be quieter, according to Web Bike World...

The biggest gripe with modular helmets is how much wind noise has to be endured by the wearer. Shoei chose to specifically target that and make this helmet quiet through extensive wind tunnel testing and design strategies.
The vaguely coffin-shaped intake vent on the top not only draws cool air in nicely, but acts as a spoiler when the wearer is riding in an upright position.
In other riding positions the numerous ridges and scoops molded into the shell exterior work together to quiet airflow over the helmet and reduce or prevent drag and lifting. The skirting around the underside minimizes turbulence and the cheek pads have specific noise deadening qualities in them.

It can be yours for only $699!

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I bought an HJC IS-Max 2 at 20% off on a Black Friday sale at a local dealership, CAN$ 260. I've been wanting to replace my Shoei Qwest with a modular, but am not interested in paying $670 for a Neotec or $860 for a Schuberth. I had an HJC full face before the Qwest and the Qwest was much quieter, so I expect the Neotec would also be much quieter than the IS-Max. Unfortunately, there was no riding going on here in November, so I'm waiting for spring to try out the new lid.

FWIW, In my thirties I had to take hearing tests at work on a yearly basis. The audiologist noticed a drop off in my hearing acuity at the mid-range and asked if I'd worked a lot with equipment or machinery. I asked if motorcycles qualified and she said they did. I've been wearing ear plugs every time I get on the bike since then.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Great input, everyone. Thanks and keep it coming. At this point I am leaning towards the Neotec (I, not II), the Scorpion 3000 or the Nolan 104, with the C3 being a distant fourth due to comments about the limited airflow and possible quality control issues.

JohnConner
: bgw1:

Generally, modular helmets are bigger, heavier and louder than full face helmets.

Here's the best modular helmets for 2018 according to web bike world https://www.webbikeworld.com/wbw-recommend-best-modular-helmets/

I'm on my 2nd Neotec. I like it but it's not quiet compared to a full face, so I wear earplugs too, ... like most others here.
My experience is anecdotal to be sure but my recently acquired C3 Pro (modular) is smaller, lighter and quieter than my two year old Shoei GT Air (non-modular). I believe the reason the Schuberth is quieter is that the chin curtain is much tighter and allows less noise in from the bottom. The C3 Pro also flows more air - at least on the two bikes I own. And BTW the C3 Pro is a tad lighter than the new C4.

If you are even considering a Shuberth, the C3 Pro is significantly cheaper right now than it was a year ago.

Lots of opinions out there about helmets. As others have said, the best plan is test fit and test ride if possible.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Neotec (I, not II), the Scorpion 3000 or the Nolan 104, with the C3

I don't know for sure but I bet some of those listed fit different head types. My previous modular helmets included an HJC Max (something). I used it... but when I got the Nolan I realized that a modular could be comfortable and snug without giving the headache.

Oval heads, round heads, oblong heads, wide heads... they exist and there is a helmet that fits it more comfortable then others.
I'd go for comfort first, noise second. You can always (and probably should) add earplugs to your riding kit.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I have tried them all and went with the C3 Pro . It is a very quiet helmet especially with the chin curtain in place . Comments on quality control are accurate . The visors and pinlock scratch easily , much more than an Arai . The neotec never felt as comfortable as the Schubreth . AGV has introduced a carbon fiber modular that they claim is 400 gms lighter than the C3 pro . I am will be checking it out as soon as they arrive at my dealer.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
While its valuable to have this type of conversation periodically, it's important to remember that asking what helmets people prefer is kinda like asking what shoes everyone likes best. We all have our own opinions, ... and we're all right!

And I expect most have seen this, but just in case, here's a pretty good helmet buying guide including discussion about how to get the right fit, helmet/head shapes & more ... https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/

...with the C3 being a distant fourth due to comments about the limited airflow and possible quality control issues.
That's a stretch in my book.

Their products cover police, firefighter, military, industrial ...

i suspect those who "complain" have one of two issues
a) head shape doesnt match helmet shape - move on
b) bought the rwong size helmet

A few folks fall into (b), cause they try on a brand new helmet and it fits "just right" at that moment, but that's not ultimately "just right" after xxx hours of continual wear.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jeff F said:
We all have our own opinions, ... and we're all right!
True. There's a lot to be learned from some opinions— those articulated and given in context. I ignore those in the 'What's best for me is best for you' and 'If I want your opinion I'll give it to you' category.

Even if conclusions are true for just the individual giving them when articulated you can either apply or discard them as relevant accordingly. So I value the opinions that know the difference between opinion and fact.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have tried them all and went with the C3 Pro . It is a very quiet helmet especially with the chin curtain in place . Comments on quality control are accurate . The visors and pinlock scratch easily , much more than an Arai . The neotec never felt as comfortable as the Schubreth . AGV has introduced a carbon fiber modular that they claim is 400 gms lighter than the C3 pro . I am will be checking it out as soon as they arrive at my dealer.
As soon a John tries on his narrowed down choices it will become obvious..... The AGV might be my next one, but U$800 is pushing financial limits.... if I buy it here, C$1200. Can't do it without a price drop in a couple of years.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I went to the Cleveland motorcycle show yesterday and made a purchase. John Gregory was with me. We did not find Scheuberth or Nolan represented there. Scorpion was sold by a couple companies but there was no 3000 model there. Shoei was there, both the company and vendors. I got to see the new Neotec and it does look nice. But I ended up buying the original Neotec for 25% off from Helmet Sounds. They were great and swapped the 35mm cheek pads for 31mm pads (XL helmet). That made a lot of difference in cheek pressure and I think I'll be real happy with the fit. Now to get my 30K mounted on it and get some riding weather to try it out.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It made the decision much easier.
20180127_111143001.jpg
JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
The show is here in Dallas next weekend. I've been waiting on purchasing a new helmet until I can try on several at the show.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
If you are considering the Neotec, you should be able to get a discount on the original model since it is discontinued. Good luck.

JohnConner

Bike
07 ST1300
I should do the same for my M Neotec. Every so often I have to puff up my cheeks to keep from biting them.
And I had to do the same with mine and my wife's. The line was "It will break in a fit right" but neither ever did.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
A problem I have always encountered, when buying a helmet, is the lack of different sized cheek pads being available to try in the store. I kind of chaps me to have to put out another $95(Cdn) to get the right sized cheek pads (and not knowing if they will even be right when they arrive) after spending $100's on a helmet. Why can't the shops carry different sized cheek pads so that you can get a good fit off the shelf? I know, I know, cost of inventory etc....etc, but the helmet manufacturers should step up and make arrangements of some kind. How many wrong sized helmets are bought just to get the right "cheek fit". At our recent MC show, none of the helmets had different sized cheek pads you could try.

I guess they have done the math and deem it not worthwhile.:(

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... I got to see the new Neotec and it does look nice. But I ended up buying the original Neotec for 25% off from Helmet Sounds. ...
What has changed between the old Neotec and the new (didn't know a new happened!)

Never mind, I found this: Shoei Neotec II

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not about to get a new helmet anytime soon as my Neo is way too new. But I like the two features that are supposed to make the helmet quieter and the Sena option.

I'm disappointed that there's not Brilliant Yellow option for the II. I'd go with white to match the DCT GWT that I'm also not doing to get.

Jeff at helmetcountry.com usually has great pricing. The MSRP of the Neo II looks to be about $50 more than the I. Not bad.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I moved on as I bought it too small and would get headaches from the pressure on my TMJ
Cindy and I both purchased the (old) Scorpion 900 modular. Turned out that Cindy would get a headache as well from pressure. I purchased a liner set for her in the next size up and swapped out the head liner leaving the cheekpad portion and that eliminated the headaches. I find the Scorpion to be quite narrow myself and frequently experience ear discomfort (pressure). Thinking (like you) of a quieter modular I did try on the Neotec yesterday (being sold off at a considerable discount) and was surprised at the all around fit of the medium (my scorpion is a large). The price of the neotec II eliminates it from consideration. Many helmets use the same shell for a couple of sizes only altering the liners. If you find a liner set for the scorpion in the next size up perhaps you can resurrect it.
Dennis

Top Bottom