Helmets Looking for a Quiet Modular Helmet

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A couple of days ago I picked up my second Neotec. It's Anthracite and brand new. I got it off ebay for $450 plus $25 shipping.

My first one, white, I bought used from someone on this forum, is a size too large (XL and I need L) and I thought it would be okay. I've used it for the last 6 months and like it, but I had to fit it to my head by getting the thick 13mm head pad after cutting down the 9mm pad it came with (and fitting it under the 13mm pad). It fits okay now, but not as good as it should.

Chris is need a new helmet and her head is a little bigger than mine, so I'll clean up the white one for her.

I should get the new one this weekend.

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I have the RPHA Max and do wear ear plugs and like it better than the Max III it replaced. I have a scala 9x that works fine but speakers were a tad tight even moving foam back to make a relief. May I suggest for those that want some semblance of knowing what might be a better pick because of what shape your head is use Lidpicker.com. Paul, Aaron & group at Motorcyclegear.com are the leads to the lidpicker and helped me figure out what helmet would best fit me. Great tool to use...I cheated a bit and made my own head measuring mic but paid for the results anyway.

Ride & be safe.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Cindy and I both purchased the (old) Scorpion 900 modular. Turned out that Cindy would get a headache as well from pressure. I purchased a liner set for her in the next size up and swapped out the head liner leaving the cheekpad portion and that eliminated the headaches. I find the Scorpion to be quite narrow myself and frequently experience ear discomfort (pressure). Thinking (like you) of a quieter modular I did try on the Neotec yesterday (being sold off at a considerable discount) and was surprised at the all around fit of the medium (my scorpion is a large). The price of the neotec II eliminates it from consideration. Many helmets use the same shell for a couple of sizes only altering the liners. If you find a liner set for the scorpion in the next size up perhaps you can resurrect it.
Dennis
Dennis,

Thanks for the info on the 900 pads. Not sure if that is still availalbe unless I go to Ebay. And the helmet is the wrong color for my bike now (red) as I have moved to a blue GW. But if I go for the red 2018 GW, I may try to do this.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
My Neotec is a 2XL but I noted it fit a little loose so I got the thicker crown pad and now it fits perfectly. You can’t go wrong with 25% off even if a newer version is out. Mine are both relatively new so I won’t be getting one anytime soon as well.

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
While I was at the Cleveland Bike Show, I did purchase a Neotec helmet. Today I finally got my GW back together and got to try the Neotec out, and with a new Sena 30K. It was pretty comfortable and fairly quiet. I'll need a longer ride to see how well it treats me long-term. But so far, I'm happy with it. I did like how well the Sena bolted onto the side of the helmet and the mike positioning inside the helmet.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I didn't. The 2018 GW doesn't support Android yet.
I bet I sat on that very same bike today, at the DC show. I like it! I also liked several of the Royal Enfield "way back machine" retro bikes. And they seemed very affordable.

The Honda rep I was talking with said that many of the bikes in the show get crushed afterward, because they are prototypes or pre-production versions lacking real serial numbers. Huh.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I have a cheap Nolan N90S modular. It is an inexpensive model modular. I think I paid about $200 for it. I have got my $$ out of it and I love a modular. First one I have had. I don't think it is quiet, but I'm not what is. I really am l leaning towards the Shoei Neotec, but a full face probably would be quieter and cheaper. I love the built in sun shade in the Nolan. Thanks for the info.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
John, I have always ridden with a full face. That is until recently I decided to go with a modular. I bought the HJC Syn Max III and although I have not tried any other ones, I'm quite satisfied with it. As for noise level, maybe just a small amount over my full face HJC's that I've had.

Guess that the one thing that concerns me is it going to stay shut in an accident? Reason I say this is I was totaled out in Oct 2013 and slid 150 on my back after getting hit from behind and although my HJC looks nasty, it did the job it was designed for.

While I do wonder if the Max III will hold up as good, I really have NO DESIRE to test it. Once was more than enough.

Good luck on your search.
Gary
Yup - always a full-face for me too. In the past (1980's) I rode with a Bell Star FF and later with a Simpson ("Darth Vader") helmet. I liked them both but they are far out of date now.

My recent helmets have all been HJCs - a CL17 full face and last summer, I treated myself to an HJC Max III modular which I like very much.

I run with a Scala Rider sound system and it won't fit inside either helmet - but the external mounting doesn't cause me any grief and both lids are comfortable for me. The modular does not seem to be markedly noisier than the FF - and I do like the convenience of the flip-up mouth-guard for fuel stops and to take a sip of water now and then (but not, of course while in motion).

Pete

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Over across the pond they test modular helmets and give you a percentage of face shield failure.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

If your helmet is not represented yet, you can request that they test it. I am currently using a HJC IS-MAX 2 and it shows as being as protective as a Neotec, more protective than a Schuberth, and has a 100% rating for the chin bar staying locked in position. I haven't seen that they've tested a Neotec 2 yet. Alas... my melon is not a Shoei melon. I fit HJC and a few Bell. Arai actually hurt me.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Over across the pond they test modular helmets and give you a percentage of face shield failure.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

If your helmet is not represented yet, you can request that they test it. I am currently using a HJC IS-MAX 2 and it shows as being as protective as a Neotec, more protective than a Schuberth, and has a 100% rating for the chin bar staying locked in position. I haven't seen that they've tested a Neotec 2 yet. Alas... my melon is not a Shoei melon. I fit HJC and a few Bell. Arai actually hurt me.
I too am using the HJC IS-MAX 2 and and very pleased with it. Sena fits in quite nicely. Although the drop down sun visor isn’t that strong, most of them aren’t. And a lot less $$$ than a Shoei

Top Bottom