Dakar Rally 2018

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
The original 1980's West African Dakar's were just a wonder to behold. Compared to the entourage of support vehicles that they now use in the day it was much more of a man, machine and sand ! That was where I picked up my Honda XR500 from an Italian who just walked away on day 8 - 18 hours days thru the Sahel was just too much for him. Even in those days the entry fee was $25,000 and you still had to pay to get the bike home. It was one of my dreams to enter the race but had to settle for covering parts of the route on my trusty Yamaha TT600. ( which I could pick it up in those days ) Truly a wonderful long distance race.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
I followed Lyndon Poskitt's updates, and found them to be a great inside look at the race. His dedication to maintenance is impressive and inspirational.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I couldn't find episode 20; did it not get posted yet? The race is long over now.

OP
OP
Buckeye Rich
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I followed Lyndon Poskitt's updates, and found them to be a great inside look at the race. His dedication to maintenance is impressive and inspirational.
Excellent "insight" by Lyndon. I never realized the conditions the racers "live in" during the event. I just assumed everyone had a camper or RV.

Bike
2007 STinkerbell
Indeed. One of the coolest things was seeing the kitchen and the level of organisation they have. I'm always interested to get an "insider" view at that kind of stuff.

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for sharing that link.... really interesting.. and waiting for the final couple of stages to be posted.

Odie1.

Top Bottom