Brake Drag Issue Solved - Observations

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow, quite the informational write up. I recently had to replace the SMC valve and after putting everything back together and doing the merry go round bleed the lever and pedal felt good. No the peddle requires pumping to firm it up when applied by itself. If the front and rear are applied together I have a firm peddle until I release the front. I have not had the time to rebleed the system. Any thoughts?

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
hi john,
More adventures with the brakes i see. good write up. Hope the new parts cures the issue. My bikes been great since I replace the SMC & rear master cylinder. My rear disc would get warm but never hot as before.

hopefully I should get round to finishing off the ABS project soon.

i am sure the adventures will start again for me too , as I have bolted on the extra circuit on the existing brake system.

fingers crossed for you john ,

at least the new hydraulic table will help with the maintenance regime :) , and reduce the sore back

All the best

tony

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
mushy peddle moving or stopped. So probably air in the system. I’m in the process of moving so once I get moved to the new place I will do another bleed and see what happens. Thank you for the insight.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
It's a good job , you wear glasses john , because that castrol brake Fuild is nasty stuff , when it gets in your eyes ! :eek:

i would suggest the precaution of a eye bath station bottle , in your garage, to be on the safe side....:cool:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, quite the informational write up. I recently had to replace the SMC valve and after putting everything back together and doing the merry go round bleed the lever and pedal felt good. No the peddle requires pumping to firm it up when applied by itself. If the front and rear are applied together I have a firm peddle until I release the front. I have not had the time to rebleed the system. Any thoughts?
You still have air in one of the circuits to a front caliper fed from the rear reservoir. When you firmly apply both the front and rear brake then get a pedal drop when the front lever is released it indicates one or both of the center front pistons pressurized from the foot pedal has to move slightly out to fully contact the brake disk after the outer ones retract (fed from the hand lever).

There are no shortcuts to bleeding particularly the proportioning valve bleed and removing and tilting the left front caliper at the proper time in the bleeding sequence.

Top Bottom