Helmets HJC CL-17 vs. Bell qualifier DLX w/ mips

Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
So I’m in the market for a new helmet. Bought a CL-17 last summer, but of course it got stolen at my home town Walmart while stopping by on my way home from the dragon. I do hate thieves, oh do I hate thieves. Hope they enjoy my Scala rider too.....

Anywho, I thought about replacing it with another CL-17, but I was curious if anyone has any experience with the bell? The reason I like it, is because of the transition lens, the cutout for the sena/or Scala, and the mips system. I’ve seen some reviews saying it was pretty noisy.

I’m kind of after something more quiet than the hjc, and something that flows good air, but don’t really want to pay shoei prices. I’m a big fan of the pin lock system too. Anyone have any input? I’d like to stay around the $300 mark.......

Frank

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
One of the most important selling points for me has always been a Snell certification. The CL-17 is the least expensive helmet with that cert, I think. Yes, in most crashes a DOT compliant helmet will work just fine to minimize head injury. I lean toward fiberglass, carbon or Kevlar fabric shell materials. Then I consider whistle/bell compatibility. Just my opinion, but a DOT cert just doesn't cut it for me.

Other opinions are just as valid, I'm sure they will follow.

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
I believe after size 2xl the snell certification goes away on the cl-17. That’s another thing I liked about the bell, safety wise, is the mips system. Just not sure how noisy and hot the bell is, although I may not even know what a quiet helmet would be like compared to what I’m used to.

Frank

Top Bottom