90,000 mile tune up?

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
When I got my brakes and tires replaced last summer, the shop I go to said I'll be due for a tune up at 90,000 miles?($1500) I have a Honda service manual and a Hanes manual and I don't see 90k as a benchmark for anything. The only things I cannot, or do not feel comfortable doing for myself would be valve clearance checks and throttle body syncing. . . Does anyone else know where this 90k idea comes from?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I am guessing the number one answer is going to be - revenue generation.

Next answer will be to look for a Tech Event in your area. Great pool of knowledge at these events to help people do their own maintenance.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Both of those ( very important ) procedures can be done easily at your local tech event. The toughest part is removing the Tupperware!

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Both of those ( very important ) procedures can be done easily at your local tech event. The toughest part is removing the Tupperware!
I've had my bike down to the throttle bodies before. . . I accidentally loosened one of my vacuum lines when I was trying to tighten up the infamous leaky coolant hoses from the front. . Reached in from the radiator side and pushed up under the rubber may a little to forcefully . . .I was super excited to find that one of the former owners had stripped out over half of the screws that connect the air box to the throttle bodies. . .

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Hueyf4i said:
I was super excited to find that one of the former owners had stripped out over half of the screws that connect the air box to the throttle bodies. . .
Ouch. When Larry (Igofar) did my throttle body syncs he stressed the importance of the JIS screwdriver and not going all hammer and chisel on these (or any for that matter) screws.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Ouch. When Larry (Igofar) did my throttle body syncs he stressed the importance of the JIS screwdriver and not going all hammer and chisel on these (or any for that matter) screws.
Yes, after I spoke with him on the phone, and before I remounted my air box with new screws, I got a 3 piece JIS screwdriver set and a 3 piece JIS screw bit set. . . and they are definitely worth it. . .

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
At 100,000 miles I had all my wheel bearings and seals replaced, the steering head bearing repacked, ALL the fluids replaced, new fork seals and fork oil, new tires, new brake pads. There was no recommended service that I know of, just did it for precaution and for reward for being such a great motorcycle.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
At 100,000 miles I had all my wheel bearings and seals replaced, the steering head bearing repacked, ALL the fluids replaced, new fork seals and fork oil, new tires, new brake pads. There was no recommended service that I know of, just did it for precaution and for reward for being such a great motorcycle.
Some of that was,already done at 70k, shortly after I got it. .forks rebuilt with sonic springs, also had the master and slave clutch cylinder replaced. . .

Top Bottom