rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now that you mention it...
What kind of oil goes in the 2018 GW DCT tranny?

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bike
2005 st1300
I'm still leaning toward the DCT, but not putting down a deposit until I ride one.
Ride Safe
John
Very wise indeed... I am of the mindset that i am perfectly happy with a manual shift bike, but if I did try a DCT, If everything that is written so far is accurate, Im pretty certain I would go the DCT route. The only concern I would have with DCT is that it is so smooth it takes away the performance "feel" of a manual (think trying to race a mid 80's Cadillac), however, looking at the design, I dont think that would be the case.

st1300doug

Okay....figured I jump into this fray! I have MS and have wanted a DCT bike for quite a few years. Both Yamaha (2006-2010) tried it on the FJR's. Flawless operation. Honda tried it on the VFR-DCT '10-'12. Both Mfg.'s quit when buyers were, 1] Scared to try the new system, 2] Misinformed about a DCT operation. I even see here, in a few comments, some think it's a total 'automatic' tranny. IT IS NOT! The '18 has 3-modes. You can still shift by lever-no clutch needed, by left-hand paddle switches/up-down, or yes....auto-shift as most automobiles. YOU make the choice. NO missing gears. Get caught in stop-n-go traffic, usually a BIG pain w/a clutch lever bike, just switch to automatic. Eazy-peezy! Want to rip some curves, get ALL that HP...use the paddle shift and shift at peak RPM. Or....just feel like highway droning...use the shifter w/the foot. What drawback can their be? As DCT does ALL three modes. Now....if I can hack that $27k load!

Bike
ST1300
Get caught in stop-n-go traffic, usually a BIG pain w/a clutch lever bike, just switch to automatic.
This is the exact reason I quit buying cars & trucks with a stick shift, they suck in commuter traffic. DCT is something that I will consider in the future as my bike is also a commuter vehicle.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not similar.
I should've been a little clearer— I was wondering about the actual shifting (or not) on the BMW.

This is the exact reason I quit buying cars & trucks with a stick shift, they suck in commuter traffic.
I never owned a car with a stick but I had a lot of time driving one as a kid and I'm over it. Others enjoy it and that's fine. And in some parts of the country it may be a requirement in some vehicles. Me I've been fine with an AT for many many years.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
After reading a review of a DCT that was written by Fred Harmon, I've decided to go ahead with the DCT Tour model in red. He had too many good things to say about the model. I just have to wait until one arrives at the dealer.

Ride Safe
John

Now to start a DCT oil thread. :eek:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You can change DCT mode to full manual and you get to shift and when in any auto mode you can override the DCT with manual upshift and downshift paddles - you still "get to shift" if you want.
Pushing paddle buttons is not the same as being able to slip the clutch as you like. You might pick the gear, but you still ain't controlling the clutch.

For me, I like the simplicity and long life proven reliability of a manual plus the ability to feather a clutch as I like. But with a 2 mile long line of cars doing 0 to 5mph I often have to trudge through on some mornings.. the DCT does have some appeal. Curious to see how it holds up to p'up trailer towing duty.

I'm not in the market yet, only 130k miles on my ST, long way to go before it gets replaced by a Wing.

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Me too, I like to be on control but the same time if you live in crazy traffic with big bike still make sense to me

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pushing paddle buttons is not the same as being able to slip the clutch as you like. You might pick the gear, but you still ain't controlling the clutch.

For me, I like the simplicity and long life proven reliability of a manual plus the ability to feather a clutch as I like. But with a 2 mile long line of cars doing 0 to 5mph I often have to trudge through on some mornings.. the DCT does have some appeal. Curious to see how it holds up to p'up trailer towing duty.

I'm not in the market yet, only 130k miles on my ST, long way to go before it gets replaced by a Wing.
I understand you, I hear that line often about "liking being in control of a clutch". An automatic clutch isn't for everyone but I started out riding Hondas with an automatic clutch and toe selected gears so my riding paradigm never included being wedded to a clutch lever though a quarter million miles of my miles are on manuals. In my garage I have two clutched manual bikes and one DCT. I've got both types to ride and the DCT gives so many advantages it's worth losing the clutch lever. Fred Harmon's review says it best so far. When one experiences the performance, safety, and cool factor of seamless upshifts blasting out of a corner while leaned over on your ear you might like it. DCT is not always better in every situation than a manual but given the choice I think many riders will not dislike it enough to go back to a manual. I've been saying this for a while now when Honda puts DCT in the GW or another ST (not likely) it's gone past the tipping point and into wide acceptance.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I'm not ready for a GW just yet, if it ever does happen it would definitely be a DCT for me, way to many goodies in that package makes it irresistible. I think we only have to look at high performance cars to see how this type of gear box technology is the future, heck even my diesel SUV has paddle gear sifters! I would not miss trying for that perfect gear shift every-time at all and would love not to have to feather the clutch in heavy traffic for what sometimes feels like an eternity on a hot day on an even hotter ST, fully loaded wife and all ... hold on maybe I'm closer to a GW Tour DCT than I think!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Reading about the Africa Twin with DCT, it seems that once one becomes acquainted with how it works, and how to work it, the clutch lever is not really missed. In fact some experienced off road riders actually prefer it.

Not having ridden one, I can't comment from personal experience though. I would really like to try one but getting a dealer to let you demo ride off road is darn near impossible.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Like many, the idea of going clutchless first struck me as giving up something that offers me greater control. I'm happy to have read all of the comments here as well as the reviews because I've changed my mind. The main thing that strikes me is that no one that has experienced DCT has said that they actually would have PREFERRED a fully manual transmission. That speaks volumes.

Until the 2018 Gold Wing, I was pretty sure I didn't want a bike any bigger than the ST. With the new Gold Wing having been put on a diet (though it's hardly svelte yet), all I need is a $26k windfall and I'll sign up for one. Even now I'm considering a second smaller bike just for local trips and if I had a Gold Wing instead of the ST, I would be even more inclined to get a second bike. So, it can get expensive quickly.

I'm always looking forward and considering what my next bike might be if my ST gives out. It could be another ST, but I hate to buy used. An FJR is also a serious candidate and now the new Gold Wing has become a candidate too. Hmmm, $18,000 vs $26,000... somehow that doesn't seem like that big a leap.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
...The main thing that strikes me is that no one that has experienced DCT has said that they actually would have PREFERRED a fully manual transmission. That speaks volumes...

Until the 2018 Gold Wing, I was pretty sure I didn't want a bike any bigger than the ST. With the new Gold Wing having been put on a diet (though it's hardly svelte yet)... Even now I'm considering a second smaller bike just for local trips and if I had a Gold Wing instead of the ST, I would be even more inclined to get a second bike. So, it can get expensive quickly.

...now the new Gold Wing has become a candidate too. Hmmm, $18,000 vs $26,000... somehow that doesn't seem like that big a leap.
I agree with your entire post but highlighted the bits that especially spoke to me. Fortunately I don't have a place for it or even a second smaller bike. At least fortunate in the sense that I save some money. Not as fortunate as those who have a couple/three bikes.

And svelte is a great word!

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Only if you turn off TC. If the TC on the new GW is anything like the TC on my bike the front and rear are compared in the ABS/TC computer and that will kill any possibility of a wheelie. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the ABS/TC computer and that will kill any possibility of a wheelie.:)
Oh damn! The single most important question I ask myself when checking out a bike— will it wheelie? You know just in case I ever want to try it. :rofl1:

To be honest I do sort of envy the ease with which some sport bike riders raise and lower the front end without actually 'popping' a wheelie. Recently a sportbiker fired out of a blind driveway in front of my car and made a left turn in the same direction of travel and wheelied in that easy-going style. I don't he ever saw me until the front end touched down.

When I was in high-school a guy I knew had a 305 Scrambler (CL-77) and he would ride a wheelie for days while standing up on the footpegs front or back. Getting the wheel off the ground was loud and dramatic. (He cut the last two inches of the resonator off.)

Top Bottom