I need to start looking for a new bike.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Well its happened again - my two motorcycles have not only gained weight but they have grown taller. In a few months i will be hitting the 70 yr old mark. My wife and I have ridden over 150,000 miles in the last 10 years and do not want to give it up. We do love to ride and our 2007 ST1300 and our 2011 BMW K1600GTL have been great bikes. Unfortunately they both weigh close to 800 lbs, Being height challenged the seat on the Honda was modified so I could touch the ground flatfooted. The BMW has a seat height of 29" so again my feet touched the ground.
I have never ridden a cruiser, don't like the forward brakes and shifter, and i believe they are heavier.
What we are looking for now is a lighter bike capable of having saddle bags and trunk, lighter, good seat, and decent fuel range. I know that one of the obvious choices is the Yamaha FJR1300 BUT i was wondering what else is out there.

I checked out the smaller Ducati Multistrata 980cc with bags, looks great but has a 33" seat height.

So, whats out there that is lighter, comfortable, low seat height, and a 4-5 gal tank.

Bill

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I understand what you're dealing with Bill. Not easy to move the 700+ lb motorcycles around.

The FJR is about only about 30 lbs lighter than an ST. Not to mention it's sportier riding position.

When we were looking the challenge we had was pillion comfort and style:
ADV bikes = tall but comfy'ish
Cruiser = not our style

So many bikes look dreadfully uncontrollable for a passenger. Heck even for the rider they look uncomfortable.

We almost said yes to a BMW GSA except we preferred the RT

As you're already familiar with the BMW marque why not look at an RT? They are lighter than an ST.

We recently rented a 2015 for about 500 miles and we quite liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I know someone who lowered a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere for his wife. I believe she's about 5'5" or so. He moved the front forks about 1/2" up in the triple tree and put some sort of lowering kit on the rear shock. The Tenere is about 150+ lbs less than the ST1300, easy to ride, very comfortable and surprisingly quick. Plus it's shaft drive and has a 6 gallon gas tank. You might also look at the VFR1200X. If you don't mind a chain, take a look at the Kawasaki Versys 650LT or 1000LT. The 650LT is 250 lbs. less than the ST1300.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I went with a Can Am Spyder. Now I know it's not 2 wheels, but you can't drop it and it has reverse. I really like it. (I will be 69 next month) My wife loves it, as she feels more secure. (And you don't have to worry about flat footing it. )

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I rode a Versus 1000 a while back, and was very impressed. Lots of power, good handling, and reasonable wind protection. It also comes with factory bags that will hold my 2X Shoei NeoTec. If I had to replace the ST right now, I'd look seriously at the Versus. Not sure about the seat height. I also rode the 650 Versus; a great bike, but not nearly as good (in my opinion) as the 1000.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
The FJR is lighter, narrower, but is very tall in the saddle, and I have to use my tip toes or lean it slightly when stopped. So yes, although lighter and narrower than my ST it sits taller. I have a 30 inch inseam.

I believe the RT to be bike you're looking for. Much lighter, simpler, and easy at low speeds. It also has one of the best gross weight load outs of any sport touring bike. The ESA suspension makes it easy to accommodate passenger and luggage as needed.

The RT is $$$$ but there is a reason for that. You pay for all the do dads and high tech. Just my :tc1:

Bike
VStrom 650
Bill,
Great to hear you want to keep on riding for a while yet.
If you find the ST too much I think you need to think outside the box, i.e. not obviously big tourer.
What about a F800GT, 90 BHP, 210 KG fueled, no chain, full BMW luggage available etc. I would think it would be quicker than the ST for general riding when you take in the power to weight equation. I appreciate it's a totally different option but maybe that's what is required.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Another vote here for the RT . Own both a 2012 R1200rt and an St 1300. Love them both but the Rt is considerably lighter and it is more comfortable.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm in the same boat you are, Bill, except my birthday is a bit closer. I looked at a lot of bikes at the Progressive MC Show this past weekend and came away very disappointed. It seems that all the bikes there are designed for tall folks - I was afraid to pull more than a few off the side stand because my right foot was so far off the ground. I liked the Honda CTX (the smaller one) but was disappointed that there is no electric windshield and it has a chain. The one at the show was a bare bike, and it did not look passenger friendly. In the end there were two that caught my eye. The Suzi Bergman - sure it is a scooter but it has a lot going for it. Downside is I thought it is a bit pricey. A guy at the show who recently sold his with 70K miles said its only drawback is the rear shock has limited travel so you feel every bump.

The only other stock bike that allowed me to touch both feet on the floor at the same time was a BMW RT (or was it an RS?). Unfortunately, the nearest dealer with an acceptable reputation is about 50 miles away..... BTW, friends have pointed me at the BMW F700 and 800. They admit that the 800 is a bit buzzy, and I found the 700 vibrates at 68mph in top gear. Guess my buddy who told me that ANY bike after the ST will be a step backwards was right.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Not because I have one, but because it is lighter, better wind protection, lighter, more doo-dads, lighter, easier to steer, lighter, better suspension, lighter, and easier maintenance (if you do it yourself). But it lightens the wallet. Because it is lighter.
:)

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
If you want lighter but still can zip around, the FJ-09, now the Tracer, is over 200 pounds lighter with a decent height. The New Tracer also has cruise. It is what I am considering after rupturing my Achilles at age 69 and needing to change from by beloved ST. The DL1000 is a nice bike and light, but taller. Good luck!

Greg

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I know that one of the obvious choices is the Yamaha FJR1300 BUT i was wondering what else is out there.

Bill
When I get to the 70 year mark I will be looking into the Kaw. Versys 1000LT I have the Versys X300 now and it is a great little bike. Also try the Vee Strom 650 or 1000. All of these are lighter then the FJR. Which by the way is gaining weight every year that I have had it.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bill, my wife just bought a Syder F3, there is one red one for $24k in Langley at the moment a GVPS.
They don't hold that much luggage, so a small trailer might be needed. Just a blast to ride with thier new ACE 1330cc 113 hp.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
If you like the sport touring style I think the Truimph Trophy SE is the lightest one out there at about 670 lbs. wet weight. It has more features than the ST does. Not sure if it will be low enough seat height though.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I would go for the RT, but the factory low version. We have had the factory low RT for the little woman and now the factory low GS1200 for her. They are harder to find but may be a good fit for you, and weigh in at about 600lbs.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've no suggestions other than I think seat height and center of gravity are more important than actual curb weight.

If you can more than flat foot a bike and the bulk of the weight is lower then I think the bike would be much more manageable then a taller bike with a higher CG that weighs less.

The F6B (nee Gold Wing) had a much lower seat and I'm sure is significantly heavier than an ST but actually felt lighter to me when in the saddle. So I'd think the BMW options with a lower seat could be doable.

But as BB and my 'Wing buddy know— BMW is pretty proud of their product.

And if a chain-drive is within consideration the Honda CB1100EX might be worth looking at. I wish Honda would consider bringing back the 650 Nighthawk. Great 'little' bike and better looking than it's bigger Nighthawk kin.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I know most "bikers" don't want to think about it, but have you considered a Maxi-Scooter? The Silverwing 600, and the Burgman 650 come to mind. I've been researching them as a replacement for using the ST13 as a commuter. Seat height is low, weight is distributed low, and they already have sizeable built in storage. Trunks are available, and I've seen at least one with additional Givi hard bags. Both are well capable of highway speeds, and are pretty comfy.

Maybe not the ideal solution, but I've read several reviews from people like yourself that have made the transition and enjoyed it.

Bike
03 st 1300
I’m surprised no one has said the new goldwing. I just read a half a dozen tests yesterday, but none written by a senior
rider like myself. (62). I need a shorter, lighter, less tippy bike as I get older. That new Honda Goldwing will be the bike to
buy for a few years. Honda spent 4 years developing it, instead of thr regular 2. Supposed to steer like a 350 pound bike
at low speed with the new front end. I too also like the two wheel up front bikeS. And don’t like getting old!

Top Bottom