Great Surprise

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
Today I got a great surprise. I got a personal telephone call from Larry Burris offering to walk me through a repair on my 2007 ST1300. My bike has been the perfect bike up til a week ago. It has been a very cold and snowy winter here in Waynesville, NC so my bike has been sitting on the side stand for almost two months. Then last week I noticed a couple of drops of oil on the floor under my bike. I sent Larry a note asking what he thought that might be. He sent an email telling me to call. I told him I would have to wait a couple of days before I could get the ST to the basement garage where it was warm and where the tools were located plus I was on the way to my doctor to get some hide cut of plus my wife just had her second knee replacement in three months -- my plate was full at the moment. Well, we were walking back in the door when the phone rang and it was Larry. What a great guy.

OP
OP
Thunderchief
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
Well, Larry recommended five different things with the idea that I did not have an oil leak but instead had a coolant leak. I followed Larry's recommendations as best I could. I started the bike and rode it around til I had the three bars on the temp gauge. I put the bike in a heated garage on the side stand for 24-hours with no leaks. I set it on the center stand for 24-hours with no leaks. I then took the bottom shrouds off and, using a flashlight checked all of the visible parts of the bottom half of the engine - both sides, the front, and what I could see of the back. The engine was surprisingly clean for 26,000 miles with no signs of any leaks. I checked the inside of the two bottom shroud pieces and found no moisture signs at all. So I decided it had to be a drip from the drain hose of the vapor canister. Tomorrow I am going to reinstall the plastic and act like no leak ever happened.

Top Bottom