2018 st1800

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
To me, the only way the new Goldwing becomes the "ST1800" is if this community, the people on this forum, accept it as so. Because, these are passionate, caring people that have shared their knowledge of the ST, allowing a great bike to remain viable even when Honda lost interest.
Again, just my opinion.

Bike
R1200rt
So should we just accept that this is the st replacement, and upgrade to the wing?
NO, NO, NO, after looking at the pictures ,its a downgraded wing or an upgraded ST. If I rode that , took off the Wing emblems, had some ST1800 ​stickers made It would satisfy 90% of the ST owners and make us all forget about the negative things we have said about Honda!!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The picture I would like to see is a CTX with a top box and touring windshield next to the NeWing!
As much as I like the CTX (which I think was much maligned because of the shorty windshield as standard equipment) the largish fairing looks to me to be overly-large compared to the GW's new svelte figure.

Their really not in the same league so it depends on what kind of riding you like to do. If the CTX suits you needs then no need to pay more.

I see the big draw of the new GW as being a very similar to the ST but with DCT goodness. Harder faster riding ST'ers wouldn't agree and understandably so.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
To me, the only way the new Goldwing becomes the "ST1800" is if this community, the people on this forum, accept it as so. Because, these are passionate, caring people that have shared their knowledge of the ST, allowing a great bike to remain viable even when Honda lost interest.
Again, just my opinion.
I predict many members will stay here even if they acquire GL1800's. Lot's of us have moved on to FJR's, RT's, GL's, Super Teneres, etc, and still stay. It's the friendships, not the bikes.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I predict many members will stay here even if they acquire GL1800's. Lot's of us have moved on to FJR's, RT's, GL's, Super Teneres, etc, and still stay. It's the friendships, not the bikes.
Totally agree!! I've always felt welcomed on this site, no matter the bike I ride. It's also the knowledge that is shared. We've all benefited. I hope that as members acquire GL1800's, tech events and that knowledge is continually shared.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Looks like someone in OK was impressed with the airbag version located at Shawnee Honda...sale pending
B892435C-FF6A-4D02-ACEE-C4AADCB39D4F.jpg
A Doctor here in Oklahoma City bought that one. He has to heal up from totaling out his 2017 Wing before he can pick it up.
Did you ride one of them Mark? I'm going back when they get there demo bikes in. I didn't want to ride the ones they ones they had on the floor for sale. I'm not ready to buy one yet. I'm leaning towards a new RT. But my soon to be 11 year old ST is still going strong with zero problems.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
A Doctor here in Oklahoma City bought that one. He has to heal up from totaling out his 2017 Wing before he can pick it up.
Did you ride one of them Mark? I’m going back when they get there demo bikes in. I didn’t want to ride the ones they ones they had on the floor for sale. I’m not ready to buy one yet. I’m leaning towards a new RT. But my soon to be 11 year old ST is still going strong with zero problems.
I haven’t ridden one yet; although I do plan to once the demo arrives. Based on what I’ve seen, I’ll probably like it. However...like you, I have a perfectly running ST that I still enjoy riding.

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
where is the picture of a ST1300 next to an 18 GL comparison

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I hope one of us who scores a test ride can get a side-by of our ST next to the GL.

With just a little tweaking this could be updated Big Time :

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
the new wing is too heavy to be a replacement for the mighty ST 1300 ( imo ) I want a new ST 1300 that weighs less an the current one and the wing only holds 5.5 gallons of gas, I've gotten use to the 7.7 gallons the mighty ST 1300 holds

Bike
ST1300A 2007
I love my ST1300 even more now! If Honda says its perfect in size it must be true!
But i saw the new Goldwing at the bike-fair here in Gothenburg last weekend, and i love it too!

The bike-dealer here in Gothenburg said it could be available in mars. Guess if i will be first in line to testdrive it?

Bike
ST1300
the new wing is too heavy to be a replacement for the mighty ST 1300 ( imo ) I want a new ST 1300 that weighs less an the current one and the wing only holds 5.5 gallons of gas, I've gotten use to the 7.7 gallons the mighty ST 1300 holds
With a 6 speed manual or a DCT transmission too.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The bike-dealer here in Gothenburg said it could be available in mars. Guess if i will be first in line to testdrive it?
Only if you hitch a ride on the Falcon Heavy and have it drop you off on Mars. On Earth a local dealer said March. I hope it's a little sooner.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
One thing that I noticed sitting on it was how much lighter it felt than my ST getting it off of the kickstand.
It is a 40 mile ride to the Power Sports Dealer in Shawnee, Ok. I plan on riding my ST there to take a demo ride when I get a chance. Hopefully I can get a picture of them side by side.
They have 5 bikes there now. The airbag one that Mark posted a picture of. And 4 red bikes. Two Goldwings. DCT and Manual. And two tours. DCT and manual.
The regular Wing does not come with reverse, center stand or electronic suspension.
The salesman I talked to was very knowledgeable about the bike. He went over all features on the bike with me. To me it is a very nice upgrade that was well overdue.
I hope I like it when I get a chance to ride one.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
...The bike-dealer here in Gothenburg said it could be available in mars. Guess if i will be first in line to testdrive it?
Only if you hitch a ride on the Falcon Heavy and have it drop you off on Mars. On Earth a local dealer said March. I hope it's a little sooner.

Just little bit of "lost in translation" going on here. :grin:

Swedish "Mars" = English "March"

Though that would be quite a ride for a little while going to Mars. I'm sure they have some really twisty canyons there.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
rjs987 said:
Just little bit of "lost in translation" going on here.
Yes it was obvious he meant March. Just a joke son based on another post.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I hope one of us who scores a test ride can get a side-by of our ST next to the GL.

If Southern will get me one in, I'll be able to get a group picture of old and new Wings, along with a ST1300.

Ride Safe
John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nashcat said:
If Southern will get me one in, I'll be able to get a group picture of old and new Wings, along with a ST1300.
Gotta love family photos! :grin:

Top Bottom