2018 st1800

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nashcat said:
It's everything I had hoped it would be. I had no problems adjusting to the DCT, but I have to admit the left foot still dabs for a shift lever when coming to a stop.
Glad to hear that. Great review. Thanks! I hope you keep us posted!

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Well, I picked up my red DCT Tour on Wednesday. I had not even done a demo ride, so my first ride was a non-stop 150 mile ride home. 20 miles yesterday and another 150 today, and I'm still learning all the bells and whistles.
I've got a bit over 2K miles on my Stallion Brown 'Wing Sport. I never did a test ride either, and I have no regrets. You'll get used to the DCT in time. I do still roll of the throttle when I'm in manual mode and get on it once in a while. I agree with all you said in your mini review, this is a sweet machine.

I do think Mother Honda dropped the ball on the GPS for such a premium machine in every other way. I'll be gently mounting my Zumo 590 on the left handlebar this weekend.

We can compare notes at FerrySTOC!! Of course ... Brown is the fastest color :lol:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Another interesting find is that the cruise control will set at 20 MPH. The older wings wouldn't set below 40 or 45. It comes in handy when traffic is creeping along, or in a mile long school zone.

I'm still working on getting Apple CarPlay to show up on the screen.

Ride Safe
John

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
... I'm still working on getting Apple CarPlay to show up on the screen.
You MUST have your helmet linked to the bike first, then plug in the iPhone. Also, do not have your phone bluetoothed to the bike. That seems to confuse it. CarPlay is great! IMHO.

If you're still having trouble next week, I'll try to help. Or, feel free to message me.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Well, I picked up my red DCT Tour on Wednesday. I had not even done a demo ride, so my first ride was a non-stop 150 mile ride home. 20 miles yesterday and another 150 today, and I'm still learning all the bells and whistles.
Speaking of bells and whistles: does it make that lovely ST1300-characteristic whirring-and-chirring sound? or is that an aftermarket option sold separately?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Speaking of bells and whistles: does it make that lovely ST1300-characteristic whirring-and-chirring sound? or is that an aftermarket option sold separately?
I followed one a couple weeks ago... it does until it retracts the wheels and goes into levitation mode, then it emits an eerie sound. ;-)

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I just got an interesting post from Revzilla's Common Thread motovlog on the new Gold Wing front suspension. It shows evidence that the bike is seriously undersprung and under-damped. I can't say for sure about the damping, but the evidence of too-light a spring on the front end is pretty compelling.

Check it out:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/does-the-new-gold-wing-have-a-big-problem?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5/12/2018_CT&utm_term=Common Tread | Combined

Cheers,

Pete

Bike
1991 ST1100
For me personally the new Wing could never be a replacement for my ST 1100. But you can't go by me, and Honda certainly isn't going to, because I've never bought a new bike and I've never paid more than $1,000 for a bike in my life. My 91 ST 1100 is in fact one of the newer bikes in the stable.

Don't get me wrong I've seen an ridden the new Wing and it's a great bike, a vast improvement over the old one which have gotten bloated beyond belief. But I do hope Honda continues to make and update the St, because about 30 years from now that'll be the bikes I'm interested in.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well it was the replacement for my R1200RT, 2009 Goldwing and my ST1300 before that. I just got my 2018 Tour DCT in blue (of course). I spent awhile getting the radio presets and looking over some of the other bells and whistles. I will need some time to get used to the GPS, but plan on mounting the BMW Nav V from the RT I sold.
I only have a few miles in it so far, planning more ride next week as the weather warms up and the snow melts.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does that void the Honda warranty?! :D
Thankfully no! Warranty is the main reason I didn't get another BMW. I was also looking at the Grand America. I got the Honda extended warranty, which gives me 8 years total - unlimited miles.

Top Bottom