Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Jan '18 MOTM - Rocketman

Please congratulate
    Bruce
    for being the

January 2018 Member Of The Month.

From Bruce:

My first motorcycle ride was in the early 70's in Junior High School when a buddy showed up with a Honda CB100. I had a spare class on Thursdays and would take his bike for a spin every week. I was hooked.

It took about 6 years before I bought my first V-powered, shaft-driven, Sport Touring Honda - the 1979 CX500. In 1980 a couple buddies and I rode to California. In 1981 we did Going-To-The-Sun Road and toured Montana. Then came the family years where I just rode to work and back. Luckily, my wife loved riding with me and there was no way she was going to tell me to sell the bike.

In 2006 one of my brothers-in-law bought an ST1300. We swapped bikes one day and I found it very nice. The power, the ergonomics (the ST's wheelbase is only 1 inch longer than the CX), that windshield - it was like I was still riding my beloved CX; only vastly improved. We swapped bikes once more in 2007 and I knew it was time. He didn't have a top box, though, and Mary said it had to have a backrest before she would ride on it.

On our 25th Anniversary in 2008 I bought a new ST1300. No chocolates. No dinner out. No wine or flowers. Just a new bike. But, since I wanted my wife to ride with me, I had the Top Box from David Silver Spares in Britain in the garage a month before I bought the bike.

I had discovered ST-Owners.com in the months before buying the bike and it has been a fantastic community ever since. We met Eric (ELC) on a trip to Hyder, AK in August '08. In 2009 I made my second bike trip to California to attend Dan's (DMulk) Crestoc event. Wow! What a trip. What great people. I rode home via Colorado with Mark (Milehigh). Awesome!

In the years since, we've made great friends and met and ridden with STOC members in New Zealand, Britain, and Australia (accompanied to OZ with 6 STOC friends and a V-Strom riding buddy). Made it to the 10th Moonshine Lunch Run. Spent nights in Florida at Eric's and Shuey's places. Attended WeSTOC events and Kirk and Lana's WeSTCan in New Denver, BC. Gone on RTE's in PA. Played the Coldest Ride game and Tag. Met and traveled with lots of local ST riders. I can't begin to list them all. For the last three years I've changed tires and oil and even used the spare bed at Bob (acedantine) & Sue's in PA while doing serious Iron Butt rides.

Riding my ST also provides me with a creative outlet as most of our travels end up in the Canadian magazine Inside Motorcycles.

In 6 years I've put over 260,000 km (162,000 miles) on my second ST (that beautiful V-4 and tip-over wing saved my right leg when I got t-boned in 2011 and made me vow to ride as much as I can for as long as I can) and don't see any reason to change bikes in the near future.

And I can't see leaving the great family that is the ST-Owners community any time soon either.

Now, let's ride! (as soon as the snow disappears)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a-1980-ReadyForCA.jpg   b-2009-theMellowWave.jpg   c-2009-HomeFromCreSTOC.jpg   d-WeSTCan-2009.jpg   e-2009-WeSTCan.jpg  

f-2009-WeSTCan.jpg   g-2010-NZ.jpg   h-2011-TimsTag-LastGoodPic.jpg   i-2011-TheLastPic.jpg   j-2012-TheNewBike.jpg  

k-2012-MaligneLake.JPG   l-2012-IronButtToYZF-.jpg   m-2012-IndependenceTheReturn.jpg   n-2013-Alaska.jpg   o-2014-Scotland.jpg  

p-2014-Scotland.jpg   q-2015-HawksNest.jpg   r-2016-Australia.jpg   s-2016-DownUnder.jpg   u-2017-Yes-I-Ride-It.jpg  

t-2017-PA-RTE.jpg  

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    07 ST1300A-Yamaha ST
    2018 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Jan '18 MOTM - Rocketman

Congratulations!! Nice pictures.
    R.I.P. Terry 'ACL' Hammond ___ R.I.P. Bob Donaldson

Bike
    2012 honda ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Congratulations Bruce.
    STOC # 8864

Bike
    BMW K1600 GT
    My Gallery

Congrats Bruce. Nice write up. Good that your wife also likes to ride and share the great adventure of doing just that. Come on spring!
    Jeff Lewis (Darth Rider)

Bike
    2014 FJR1300A
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Congratulations!! Nice story and pictures. Hope to catch you at one of those RTE's one day.
    Ray

Bike
    2005/2006st1300
    My Gallery

Congrats!!! Nice write up..
    Make sure John O teaches you the secret handshake.....
    I Just wana Ride man, I just wana Ride!

Bike
    04 ST
    My Gallery

Congratulations Bruce. Well deserved. A true ambassador of the sport.

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Congrats Sir! Safe riding! BTW there isn't a secret handshake. I got to sit with 4 MOTM around a fire last fall, and surprising what I few ounces of tongue loosener will do to the secrets of your new inner circle. Busted Todd!
    Last edited by cdnemsguy; 02-01-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Bike
    '06 ST 1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Congratulations.
    Jim

Bike
    '04 ST1300, BLUE
    My Gallery

Congrats Bruce!