Darksided and wrench therapy

Earl43P

Wrencher turned Rider
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Put an RT-43 car tire on the rear this morning. 11* when I started 28* now that I finished. Thought it would be difficult to find a shop to dismount and install the car tire, but I found a guy, first place I stopped at.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3552+Jefferson+Davis+Hwy,+Stafford,+VA+22554/@38.4920118,-77.3821393,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b6f07518439eeb:0x468a6cec279607b!8m2!3d38.4920076!4d-77.379956

Marty's machine (Dominion Tire Co.) was the same as my other guy's in Elizabeth City (Roger at Robert Sawyer's garage on Hughe's Blvd/Road St.), with a vertical bead breaker and a horizontal rim clamp, so I could see it was possible. He had more trouble getting the old tire off than than the new install. He wouldn't clamp to the rotor for some reason. I used balance beads so no balance worry. Charged me $15, but I gave him $20 - cash, I refused his receipt. I'll have him replace my Austone on the 93 when I get it down from Pa.

HueyF4i had given me a lead, but it didn't pan out. I appreciated his effort and enjoyed some conversation. Look forward to meeting him.

Threw new rear pads on, even though the old ones were barely half worn. I was in there, so what the heck. Greased the pinion cup and drive shaft splines as well as the final drive splines.

No test ride yet, I was too cold-soaked and aching. Had taken the wheel off Thursday night and had the tire mounted yesterday, so a 3 day uneventful evolution.

Did note that the front brake actuated rear piston isn't working, although it had been driven out. Might need some guidance with that if it doesn't start working properly after a few bedding in rides to activate the secondary MC? I'll read up on that. I did no bleeding, but I did drive the pistons out some to clean off the light crud. No pitting, looked like 28,000 mile pistons should look and brightened right up with just brake fluid on a shoestring.

Supposed to hit 37* and sunny, so I'll eat, do some laundry and ride it this afternoon.

Sorry, no pictures. Just a routine tire and pads change. First time for me on this bike though. Pretty much the same as the 93 and 99 except for twisting the right exhaust out to clear the axle. Shrugs... mighta/shoulda read up on it, but I tightened the final drive 4 mount nuts last just like all my other shaft drive Hondas.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The front brake doesn't actuate anything on the rear caliper. That's the function of the SMC. I'm not sure if this is in your owner's manual, but refer to the Honda Service Manual for the procedure to check the SMC. If you don't have a service manual, you can probably find the procedure on this site by doing a search. It's a very easy check to perform.

Top Bottom