Migsel GPS mount

Bike
2010 ST1300
Someone (now gone, I believe) sold a similar RAM ball mount. It was nothing more than a strip of steel (I think) measuring about 7 " long by 1" wide and maybe 1/8" thick with three RAM balls mounted on it. It had a bit of a bend so that it matched the dash's curve and secured with the two screws already there. Someone made one for himself here out of aluminum. If you can drill the holes and tap them, you can make one for a lot less than 131 Euros ($164 USD; $200Ca). Two drills, a tap, some spray paint and the RAM balls should come to less than $30USD. If you don't know what I am talking about, I could take a picture of mine and post it.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Someone (now gone, I believe) sold a similar RAM ball mount. It was nothing more than a strip of steel (I think) measuring about 7 " long by 1" wide and maybe 1/8" thick with three RAM balls mounted on it. It had a bit of a bend so that it matched the dash's curve and secured with the two screws already there. Someone made one for himself here out of aluminum. If you can drill the holes and tap them, you can make one for a lot less than 131 Euros ($164 USD; $200Ca). Two drills, a tap, some spray paint and the RAM balls should come to less than $30USD. If you don't know what I am talking about, I could take a picture of mine and post it.
Some pcs of yours would be great!
I was thinking about using a block of nylon.

(@Mellow I put this in the wrong category! My apologies)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some pcs of yours would be great!
I was thinking about using a block of nylon.
Not sure how you would do this with nylon, mine is aluminum (checked with a magnet). One picture was taken looking through the windshield, the other from the rider's viewpoint. Pardon the mess. From the pictures you can barely see that there are no additional screws; the outboard RAM balls threaded studs go right through the aluminum bar (no tapped threads in the bar) and into the factory screw holes in the dash cover. The center ball is screwed into the aluminum bar.

RAM Mount 1.jpgRam Mount 2.jpg

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
That's great, now I see a different way to approach the idea. An aluminum bar bent to match the curve and then drilled and tapped.
Thanks ever so much!

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Yes I have the Migsel mount. I like it. Very solid, quick to install. Looks very neat and surprisingly unobtrusive. It is contoured to sit on the dash top. My Garmin sits just in the right place.

I leave my mount on the Migsel and just click-off the Garmin. The mount is neatly hardwired in and to do this I had to lengthen the original Garmin power lead.

Highly recommended.

D

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I made one out of aluminum flat stock. I used capture nuts on the dash tabs that holds the oem dash push rivets. I don’t think screws into the rivet hole plastic would be sufficient for the amount of weight.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I made mine out of 3/8" aluminum bar stock, about 1.25" wide. It worked out really well. Easy to keep track of the GPS, and glance at it without too much trouble. It is mounted, as Trapperdog said, to the capture nuts on the dash mounts. It does require a bit of finesse to get the holes drilled at the proper angle, and I countersunk the socket head cap screws I used. Works so well, I made a few for family members as well.

Attachments

Bike
07 ST1300
I know exactly what you mean about that BMW GPS. It was on the 1600 we rented. Really grew to love that dedicated motorcycle GPS. Split screen lane changes ect. bring it inside to program route and sp forth. Just awesome.
David I just use a ram mount between the bars and a long arm. X mount and Iphone. Get's the job done. I do have Helibar risers. I installed my own ball mount to it.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I made mine out of 3/8" aluminum bar stock, about 1.25" wide. It worked out really well. Easy to keep track of the GPS, and glance at it without too much trouble. It is mounted, as Trapperdog said, to the capture nuts on the dash mounts. It does require a bit of finesse to get the holes drilled at the proper angle, and I countersunk the socket head cap screws I used. Works so well, I made a few for family members as well.
Pretty much tells/shows it all, I may have even got the idea from you.
And ditto on the angle of the holes. Now I need to make another for my ‘06

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I know exactly what you mean about that BMW GPS. It was on the 1600 we rented. Really grew to love that dedicated motorcycle GPS. Split screen lane changes ect. bring it inside to program route and sp forth. Just awesome.
David I just use a ram mount between the bars and a long arm. X mount and Iphone. Get's the job done. I do have Helibar risers. I installed my own ball mount to it.
I have Helibar risers, well actually Tour Performance bars. The center cover part is untapped so I need to pull it off to see if it can be tapped.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
DavidR8 said:
I have Helibar risers, well actually Tour Performance bars.
I've got the same risers with both the DIN (powerlet) socket and RAM ball. The DIN socket is held in place on the cover by a nut threaded on to the body of the socket.

The cover is a little thin for tapping to hold much weight and would be subject to vibration. The RAM ball is mounted into the riser itself which is much stronger and better able to support weight and resist vibration. Instead of tapping maybe just drill a hole and use a washer and nut on the otherside?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks,
I thought the cover might be too thin but I like your idea of simply drilling the cover and using a washer and nut on the backside.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
David:

The RBIS (Ram Ball Installation System) is what you see in the photos in post # 4 above. It was manufactured and sold by a member on this forum. He is out of business and no longer makes/sells them. The original idea came from another member (Throttlejockey) when he made a shelf for himself and posted the idea on this forum- Made a dash mount for ram ball. Another member (TXRoadRash) took this original idea and refined it. He posted the instructions on this forum. I have one on my ST and it works/looks great and puts the GPS exactly where it should be.

It is quite easy and very cheap to make one yourself.
You can find all of the very detailed instructions, great pictures and the parts list of what is required right here;
ST1300 - GPS / Radio / Radar Dash Mount

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think having the GPS, phone, etc. installed up high on the top of the dash is the best place for these items because it makes it really easy and fast to take a quick glance at them while underway. Using this system it is just as easy to have two or three Ram balls installed as it is to have one. If you choose to have less than three you can decide among three locations- left-hand side of the dash, centre of the dash or right-hand side of the dash. Very flexible system. On my ST1100 I had the GPS installed centred between the handlebars and I find this location up high on the dash is far better. Besides being easier to see in this location it has the added benefit of keeping the equipment installed here quite dry when you are riding in the rain as long as you are moving because it is tucked in nicely behind the windshield.

Here is a picture with a slightly closer look to give you an idea of what the GPS looks like installed in this location. The round black protrusions you see on the far L/H and R/H side of the bracket are where the two additional Ram balls could be mounted if you so choose.

Dash Shelf.jpg

Bike
07 ST1300
I THINK I just tapped it and installed it with locktite. I actually don't remember! But whatever I did it worked. I don't think the male threads were long enough for a nut on the back.
That said for me the Iphone and waze covers my modest needs. But that GPS on the BMW all fully integrated with the bike and my sena headset was really incredibly nice.
I am sure there are some bike specific GPS's that would do as well on the 1300. If I had time to actually GO anywhere I would probably have one.
Jim

Thanks,
I thought the cover might be too thin but I like your idea of simply drilling the cover and using a washer and nut on the backside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom