Migsel GPS mount

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
JimGregory said:
That said for me the Iphone and waze covers my modest needs.
I have Waze and never used it but should check it out. Apple's Maps works fine for me but Navigon is onboard as well (great for POIs and offline navigating).

On my two actual road trips the lead puppy (my GW bud) had a small GPS that he used and my Maps was right on target. They may have used the same source. Just because I like displays a Chinavasion may be on the Farkle list one day but I've got a lot to get to as it is. Having a GPS does have the advantage of being able to use gloves on the pressure sensitive screen.

He's since removed the GPS from the 'Wing and uses his iPhone now. But he does use the BMW's Navigator.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The integrated GPS on the RT was invaluable when we were in SFO.

That said, we have not ventured anywhere on STella where one of us didn't have local knowledge.

I am very accustomed to Google Maps and like the ability to zoom in and plan routes. That said, I cannot figure out how to open a saved route in the Google My Maps app. Seems that would be the whole point of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iflyvfr

Eric
Bike
2007 ST1300
So I really like the Migsel mount. However...there is a bit too much vibration in the plastic dash for me to always get a clear view of the GPS. (I'm using an automotive Nuvi 3597 on a Ram ball mount adapter. I noticed if I apply pressure (squeeze) the top of the Migsel and the lower underside plastic, all vibration goes away. It's not that the Migsel mount is loose, it's just that there is a bit of vibration transmitted through the plastic dash. So now I'm thinking of using a 1.5" or 2" black binder clip there to apply constant pressure (maybe reinforced to stay in place with Velcro). If this works I'll post back, unless anyone has a better idea. The cell phone mount attached to the Helibar riser ball is rock solid in comparison.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I don't experience any vibration with the setup I have. Mind you, it's a short RAM arm, a light aluminum phone holder and an iPhone 7 so it's not very heavy.
One thing that may be a factor is the distance between the base and the GPS. I suspect that a longer lever arm would amplify any vibration.
Mine setup puts the phone about two inches away from the center of the Migsel mount.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
IIRC the Migsel puts the RAM ball out over the edge of the dash? Combined with the 1-inch arm this is probably the 2-inch distance David is talking about Something like the RBIS mount puts the ball on the dash so the device held has less leverage on the mount compared to a Migsel. A longer arm and heavy(ier) device would amplify any vibration.

Either mount is screwed into two tabs inside the dash. If tightened too much they'll snap. If faced with a vibration problem some possible alternatives are:

shorter RAM arm (if that's an option)
lighter mount and device (see above)
shore up the dash for the Migsel or other mount

For the last option I though of putting a spacer between the tab and the upper dash and one below the tab and lower dash. Two roundhead screws could be run up through the bottom of the dash into the mount. The real trick would be finding a clean way to secure the screws. The RBIS has two caps that cover the screw head. With some finessing they could cover the nuts. This would be more work but would look much nicer that a b-a binder clip on the dash.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I don't experience any vibration with the setup I have. Mind you, it's a short RAM arm, a light aluminum phone holder and an iPhone 7 so it's not very heavy.
One thing that may be a factor is the distance between the base and the GPS. I suspect that a longer lever arm would amplify any vibration.
Mine setup puts the phone about two inches away from the center of the Migsel mount.

Hey David! You're alive! Hadn't seen you post in a while. Was worried about you. ;) Hope all is well.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
UK based, but many forum members know of this company. You may not have seen this alternative solution.

Me - I have a Ram Ball mounted on the left side of the dash shelf, behind the screen, supported underneath by a very large washer and rubber sheet. Must take some photos !
When I had a Migsel, a member was making a mount that was two piece of metal joined together with a locking screw. I drilled it and screwed it to the Migsel. Of course the gps mount was screwed to it. It worked great and there was no vibration. The same thing could be accomplished by bending aluminum or steel to just the right angle.
Keith makes some good stuff. I bought his windshield and it was great.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Keith was out of action for a couple of years, and eventually sold his site - Steve bought the business from him and is keeping Keith's excellent work alive. He was a member of our club, although living at the other end of the country, I never met him - he'd join in on European tours though. I'm sad to say that I have only just found out that he died on April 9th this year from a message on his old website.
Sorry to hear that. The thing about the ST is the number of small suppliers and constructors out there. The Tracer doesn't have that. At least, that I have found.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Keith was out of action for a couple of years, and eventually sold his site - Steve bought the business from him and is keeping Keith's excellent work alive. He was a member of our club, although living at the other end of the country, I never met him - he'd join in on European tours though. I'm sad to say that I have only just found out that he died on April 9th this year from a message on his old website.
Sorry to hear of Keith's passing.
Prayers for Keith's family and friends.

Top Bottom