The ST is getting old.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I went to a Honda dealer today to buy a new bolt for the bottom shroud on my 2007 ST1300. There was a very nice young man at the parts counter eager to hear what I wanted. I showed him the bolt that came out of the Bottom Shroud and told him I needed the next size up for the ST1300. He commented that he had never seen one of those bikes and asked if I had an "A" or a "P". I told him that if he had seen the European Terrorist Attacks on TV then he should note the cops riding STs. He said he hoped to see one some day. I told him that when the temps come up a bit I will ride over to show him the bike.

Bike
VStrom 650
Sad indeed but no surprise.
Although the fact that a Honda parts person didn't know a current bike doesn't exactly fill you with confidence. When I say current there are still some new ones for sale out there somewhere. Well there is over here anyway.
But yes any bike that was first released 16 years ago is definitely old, not as old as me though. When you then think it was probably on the draught board from the late 1990's, makes you think dunnit. The basic design of the 13 is well over 20 years old and don't even mention my 11.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Although the fact that a Honda parts person didn't know a current bike doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.
Current? Not hardly. The last model year in the US was 2012 and it's 2018. Yes it's still on the website but of all the Honda dealerships in the US how many have an ST on the floor new or used. How many have had one on the showroom floor in the last five year?

I think it's wholly unreasonable that every Honda parts-person be schooled until knowledgable of all bikes in the what— 10/15/20 years of Honda history? That extend of knowledge to a new employee would need more money. Being what some pejoratively refer to as a parts-monkey isn't what most people would consider a well-paying career.

Honda Parts Academy: 'Here are the specs of all the Honda models that were current within the 10 years. Learn them. Know them. Believe them. Your dealership will not have carried all of them but believe some old geezer will come in needing a part and expect you to be very familiar with an out of production bike.'

Confidence or not— expectations should be reasonable and managed. Besides everybody starts somewhere.

Bike
VStrom 650
STGui, I believe you are misquoting me, firstly on what I did state and secondly on what I never stated and thirdly I don't care. So there!
Upt'North.

Bike
07 ST1300
Current? Not hardly. The last model year in the US was 2012 and it's 2018. Yes it's still on the website but of all the Honda dealerships in the US how many have an ST on the floor new or used. How many have had one on the showroom floor in the last five year?
As Upt' North says, they're still available new over here:
http://www.huntsmotorcycles.co.uk/NewBikes/Honda_PanEuropean_ABS.htm
I was quite tempted by a new one but with so many good condition used bikes out there it was difficult to justify the extra spend.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I know they’re all old (esp. the 1100’s)- my oldest is now 24 years old and I’m happy to have it/ ride it! As for parts, I’d get my stuff as I have in the past on Partzilla (or even eBay for that matter)- you can look it up at home and get exactly what you want/need and be sure it’s the right part. Even before the repaint on the 94, I had a few people look at it and ask what it was and how much mileage and then see them surprised when I told them (they thought it was much newer). So, old or not, these are still great bikes!

By the way, I haven’t been to the Honda dealer in a very long time.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Went to a bike night last year just north of Pittsburgh. When we pulled in the first parking spot I saw was just next to a Honda dealership tent. While removing my helmet a fellow came running over and I was exspecting to get an earful about parking, instead he wanted to know what was I riding ??? I guess all the yuppies were buying four wheelers and garden equipment, or he hadn't been to dealer show in several years. My previous ride was a 30 year old Wing, didn't see any 1200 series wings there either...

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I feel like mine is getting old. 12 years out of the box (I bought it as a leftover in 08) and 105,000 miles. Still runs great, but I've never owned a bike this long and with this many miles and I wonder sometimes. Nothing to replace it that I've seen or ridden in the last few years. C'mon Honda I will need a replacement something one of these days.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Upt' North said:
I believe you are misquoting me
:rofl1: I could be wrong but it doesn't look like I did. Near as I can tell the quote is fairly accurate. Maybe my browser didn't render what you stated correctly. I'll check that out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Argh Well, one mans accurate is another mans nonsense. Like you missed "thirdly" altogether.
LOL Well it was a direct quote and captured the nonsense accurately enough... And about that thirdly... Didn't miss it. I just didn't care. Still don't. You have a nice day.

Top Bottom