ST1100 Sidecar Mounting

Bike
St1100, XV1600
Hi guys (and gals) .. anyone out there who has mounted or has info on mounting a sidecar to the ST1100? I need to know which mounting points to use, pictures or diagram would be of great help as I can find nothing online (unless you know better) ... many thanks in advance

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
Hmm, thanks for that, like yourself I can find information about the sidecars but not the best mounting points for them, even universal fitting kits for any motorcycle don't let on (trade secret maybe)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The only one I saw had at least one mount through the side panel to the frame 'V'. I've looked through my pictures and can't find one at this point. The owner's name was Gene McCall, who was killed in a traffic accident while riding it. His was a Hanigan sidecar rig -

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/product-type/sidecars/

Last edited:
STOC #
I knew Gene McCall well. I threw a leg over his rig once and that was enough. I could not believe that he and Don Seedsman from Australia, rode that rig, towing a camp trailer behind it, left Murfreesboro, Tennessee and rode north to the Arctic Circle in Alaska, then across Canada and down to Pennsylvania to my location. After a rally near here it was back to Tennessee.
I would urge anyone that wants to attach a sidecar to an ST1100 to try to find one to try out first. You really need to have the front suspension altered to make it workable and it takes a considerable amount of money to buy, install and set one up properly. You will want an expert to do it.
In short, IMHO, you would be better off buying a car (with four wheels). I used to install Velorex side cars on CX500s. They were fun, especially flying the car with or without a passenger. But still, I told myself that if I had one, I would still want a regular two wheel motorcycle.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
There is an STOwner that I met a couple of years ago out here in California that has an ST1100 with a sidecar. I think he lives near San Jose, CA but I don't remember his name anymore. It has the Earls type from forks on it as I remember.

static

Triple Darkside
Site Supporter
STOC #
There are at least three other members on this forum ( me included) with ST1100 rigs. The others are FSQUAD and sidewise. All our rigs are kits from EZS in Holland. I could send you some of the mounting pics, if you need them. Of note, these are all US rigs with sidecar mounted on the right.

Bike
st1100
re chair on an st ...The only difficult one is the front lower...mine is home made and has 3 brac ing tubes to triangulate it ..It is rock solid and fits within the fairing ..Making a pair of leading links is going to be a chalenge because of the ABS LBS anti dive ect Has any seen it done? For the time being I have got the trail down to about 1 inch with a pair of home made fork yokes cheers Don from dungeness

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
There are at least three other members on this forum ( me included) with ST1100 rigs. The others are FSQUAD and sidewise. All our rigs are kits from EZS in Holland. I could send you some of the mounting pics, if you need them. Of note, these are all US rigs with sidecar mounted on the right.
I'd be interested in the details of which kits you got from EZS. Looking to do this for my Dad's bike.
Thanks.
Dennis F

STOC #
Dennis actual conversion kits and pricing are no longer published on the EZS website, you would have to contact them directly for information. Warning! Sidecars are not for everyone and really good outfits such as EZS are very expensive. My outfit is an '94 Honda ST1100 with a RX5 Roadster. My advice would be to buy a complete used outfit.
1536013138342.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 24046

I have a hannagen on mine with a leading link front it is so much fun.I have put over 100,00 miles on mine and am changing it over to a year older bike with less mileage as the st has come to a sad end just plain tuckered out.if your still looking I can try and take some pics of my frame if you would like.

Attachments

Bike
2000 ST1100
do take a look at dmcsidecars.com, and sidecar.com Which is the official site of the United Side Car Assn.
Jay claims to have specific mounting hardware for individual bikes, builds and sells sidecars, and offers mounting services. I have talked to him about my ST1100 as a tug to replace my 86 wing/California rig. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do so like the ST on two wheels. I am, however, reaching a point where I can't prevent dropping it if it gets a little off balance at a stop. Bad Knees.
Jim

Attachments

Top Bottom