Gaspé Tour

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
This summer I'm planning on visiting the Gaspe Peninsula.

The tentative plan is to enter Canada near Woodstock using mostly highways to get there, then on to Fredericton, Miramichi and then counter-clockwise around the peninsula to Matane. From there, we'll take the ferry to Baie Comeau and head south on 138 which is on the north side of the St Lawrence River.

We may visit old Quebec City and Trois Rivieres. We'll probably bypass on Montreal and head south on Rt 15 and re-enter USA near Champlain, NY. After that, it's mostly highway home.

How does this sound? Any must-see stops along the way?

(I took French in high school, but that was so long ago, most of it has fallen out of my head. I doubt I'll need it anyway, but I will use the internet to look things up if I get desperate)

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
Did it clockwise last year and really enjoyed the whole area. To much to see and visit! Great views on the north coast just hope it isn't to hazy or windy. The park at the NE tip (bay of roses) has got some good historical exhibits. I did 132 as much as possible up the St Lawrence on the way up.
Route Des Navagateurs 2017.jpg

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Cherie and I did the reverse of your planned trip in 2016, if interested here is a link to the Gaspe portion of the trip #9

Gerhard

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
The Gaspe IMHO is one of the best costal rides in Eastern North America . +1 on the 132 .
So should I take 132 all the way to Quebec city or cross over to Baie Comeau at Matane on the ferry and continue on 138?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
So should I take 132 all the way to Quebec city or cross over to Baie Comeau at Matane on the ferry and continue on 138?
I have taken both the south shore and the north shore of the St.Lawrence, in my opinion the north shore is a much nicer ride. Less traffic, less population, more curves, more elevation changes and it includes a free ferry ride across a fjord.

Gerhard

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The best bits of 138 are east of Baie-Comeau IMO, and you will be going west. But it's still a pretty nice ride.There is however a pretty unique opportunity to do whale watching from the shore at a Parcs Canada site just west of Les Escoumins that is on your planned route. Just visit le "Centre de la Découverte du Milieu Marin" (rather than Cap du Bon Desir, which is a bit further west). Much cheaper than a whale watching expedition, and you would have to be really unlucky not to see anything.

Much more villages on 132 than on 138. Both have their charm.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Personally I do not find highway 132 from Matane to Québec City exceptionally interesting and definitely not worth missing the North Shore over. You could go as far as Rimouski before crossing over to the North Shore if you wanted to see more of the South Shore but I personally wouldn't even do that. I would follow the route that you have suggested taking the ferry in Matane over to Baie Comeau to highway 138 west towards Québec City.

While in Baie Comeau you might consider taking a detour up highway 389 to visit the Manic 5 hydro-electric dam. They have free tours of the facility in the summer and it is very interesting. There are 4 other dams along the way up that you can tour as well but Manic 5 is the most impressive because it is so massive- the Empire State building easily fits inside it. You can get up there, do the tour and get back to Baie Conmeau in the same day easily. Don't know what condition the road is like now but Yves can probably advise about that.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST 1300
There is a neat motorcycle museum on the 132 .http://www.epopeedelamoto.com/english/. Both the north shore and south shore are good roads if you stay of the auto route . If you are near Montreal there is a new toll road that bypasses Montreal . Route 30 toll is $2.85. Maurice park is slightly north but is also a great ride.

OP
OP
ddemair
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
It's well worth the time
Thanks. I think I just changed my route plans. Instead of staying on 138 to Quebec, I think I'll take the ferry from Les Escoumins to Trois Pistoles which will pu me back on 132 and I can make an optional stop at the Museum.

Then, if I decide to visit Old Quebec City, I'll take the ferry as you did.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
In visiting Old Quebec, we stayed across the river in Lévis (decent Best Western and much cheaper) and then took the short ferry across to the city followed by a ride up to the heights on the funicular tram. The big boardwalk and the bar at the grand Chateau Frontenac hotel is fun and there are lots of nice cafes in the area.

In Fredericton, you could visit a historic village called King's Landing. The buildings were all moved to that site when the big power dam was built at Mactaquac which flooded the valley.

Pete

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I may be heading back to PEI in the middle of July. I may just take a detour, and do a clockwise tour of Gaspé before heading to the island. I will look into some of the suggestions mentioned here.

Top Bottom