Going to AZ to pick up new ride - riding it back to CA

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Well,

I got the bug again, and will be adding another ride. So the garage will now have The ST, VFR and a new 2017 Tiger 800 XCx all dressed up.

Found a crazy deal in Scottsdale AZ, so flying out next week to pick it up and ride back. Will spend a couple days there to break it in (Sedona comes to mind) - any insight on some places or roads in the area?

Looking forward to posting some pics and adding an adventure bike to the mix. The ride home should be grand as we are not expecting rain or wet. Maybe run into a friend or two along the way. I am open to some detours along the way back if your up to a RTE or pie!

John

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Congrats on the new bike. Look forward to some pics and a ride (back) report!

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Not to be a buzz kill, but I hope it has more than 7500 miles at the time of sale, or registering it in CA is going to be problematic at best...
If it’s new and is 50 state compliant, it’s not a problem

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Yep new and 50 state compliant. Triumph USA got back to me and verified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats on your new Tiger. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
I've had my 2015 800 XCX since Aug. 2015. As soon as I got it home I ordered a Sargent seat and a Puig windscreen. So much better.
I dropped the front sprocket one tooth and added a Booster Plug. I woke that triple up!
The best thing I did was have Mike's Dirt Bike Suspension work on my suspension. New springs and valves. The stock suspension might be alright for a 140 lb. person. But it is like on a rail now. And will surprise you how good it handles a twisty road.
I also went tubeless on my back tire. I went with the Outex kit. No problems what so ever.
I absolutely love my Tiger! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
YaHoo!! A fly and ride.
Ride straight north out of Scottsdale and thru Paige. It can get a little cool at those elevations.....
Post lots of pics for us John.....

ToddC

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Not to be a buzz kill, but I hope it has more than 7500 miles at the time of sale, or registering it in CA is going to be problematic at best...
With it under 7500 miles, he will just have to pay the remaining sales tax that AZ does not collect. Bought a KLR 650 (350 miles) and my F250 pickup in AZ last year. No problems registering in CA. CA just wants to see the EPA sticker and their tax money!

CADreaming:

Make sure you get to DMV within 10 days of bringing the bike into CA to get your temp registration if you do not have the title. AZ takes two months to get titles to you or your bank. If you do not go to DMV within 10 days, the charge you a penalty. I went in on day 11 for my truck but was able to talk them out of charging me the extra money. I had to fill out a form explaining why I did go in within the 10 day time frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
With it under 7500 miles, he will just have to pay the remaining sales tax that AZ does not collect. Bought a KLR 650 (350 miles) and my F250 pickup in AZ last year. No problems registering in CA. CA just wants to see the EPA sticker and their tax money!

CADreaming:

Make sure you get to DMV within 10 days of bringing the bike into CA to get your temp registration if you do not have the title. AZ takes two months to get titles to you or your bank. If you do not go to DMV within 10 days, the charge you a penalty. I went in on day 11 for my truck but was able to talk them out of charging me the extra money. I had to fill out a form explaining why I did go in within the 10 day time frame.
Yeah livin here in this state really has become a challenge with taxes and fees and such. Hope when we relocate to wa. The pain is once and simple there after

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Congrats on your new Tiger. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
I've had my 2015 800 XCX since Aug. 2015. As soon as I got it home I ordered a Sargent seat and a Puig windscreen. So much better.
I dropped the front sprocket one tooth and added a Booster Plug. I woke that triple up!
The best thing I did was have Mike's Dirt Bike Suspension work on my suspension. New springs and valves. The stock suspension might be alright for a 140 lb. person. But it is like on a rail now. And will surprise you how good it handles a twisty road.
I also went tubeless on my back tire. I went with the Outex kit. No problems what so ever.
I absolutely love my Tiger! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
After the initial run today I can concur the gearing is a bit low so dropping a tooth in the front sprocket may be a change I make The driving mode settings are interesting but I havenÂ't really opened it up yet while break in. Ride to Sedona today. Yeah I am Liking[emoji1]

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
This thread sucks without PICS.........:nanner1:. John......get Angel to take some pics........

T

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
After the initial run today I can concur the gearing is a bit low so dropping a tooth in the front sprocket may be a change I make The driving mode settings are interesting but I haven’t really opened it up yet while break in. Ride to Sedona today. Yeah I am loking[emoji1]

Dropping one tooth on the front sprocket made a big difference. First gear just seemed a little too tall.
Every time I ride the Tiger it puts a big smile on my face. Probably a good thing I have my helmet on.
I hope you find some nice twisty roads on your way home after your break in period. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well it handles. I prefer my Tiger any day on a twisty road over my ST.
Have a safe trip home and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
JohnK

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #

Snow yesterday in and he higher elevations. Poor visibility wet roads but who cares the Tiger tracks it fine

A soakin wet kitty faithfully waiting outside McDonald's for the next leg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Aw. Lunch of Champions........

Breaking her in good......in the rain...... It will fit in nicely come June.....!!!!!!

Just leave all that nasty weather behind.....OK..???!!?!?!!

ToddC

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Nice ride! Curious to see a map of your route back home.

Top Bottom