No goldwing for me

Bike
07 st 1300
I wanted to love it, but I just like it. It didn't fit me like the st 130020180208_150824.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Too tall? To straight up? Bad foot peg position? Did you ride it? You can't just leave us hangin!... what did you not like?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I saw my first 2018 Goldwing today and have to say that I am not yet impressed. The one I saw was the base model with DCT, don't know if it had an upgraded infotainment system or not, but I don't care much for a GL with no top box or windshield. I assume an optional top box can be added, as well as a fixed windshield, but I would prefer the electronic shield for its adjustability, as our STs have and is standard on the GL tour model. The salesman advised me that they have either 3 or 4 more crated up in the back that are being readied for display, so I may have to go back later to see what's on the floor.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
...but I don't care much for a GL with no top box or windshield. I assume an optional top box can be added, as well as a fixed windshield, but I would prefer the electronic shield for its adjustability, as our STs have and is standard on the GL tour model.
Yes the standard GL is missing the trunk (which can be added as an expensive option). It does have an adjustable windshield, just a shorter version of the one on the Tour (and slightly smaller travel at 4.1 vs 4.9 inches). I'm pretty sure the short and tall windshields are swappable/interchangeable also - it'd be pretty stupid of Honda if they weren't.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Looking at the above picture... seems like all the weather protection for your legs is now gone with the new model. That's one of the things I really like about my Wing. I'm sure they will come out with some after market bolt on plastic "wing" for your legs, hands etc... But what's the point? Saving weight at what expense to the comfort of the rider? Still gonna have a look in a couple of weeks. Going by Southern Powersports in Chattanooga.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Looking at the above picture... seems like all the weather protection for your legs is now gone with the new model. That's one of the things I really like about my Wing. I'm sure they will come out with some after market bolt on plastic "wing" for your legs, hands etc... But what's the point? Saving weight at what expense to the comfort of the rider? Still gonna have a look in a couple of weeks. Going by Southern Powersports in Chattanooga.

Well, now they get to sell you some expensive plastic and put Baker Air Wings out of business. There's a set of lower air deflectors also, but I can't find them at the moment.

http://shop.powersports.honda.com/p/upper-air-deflector/accessories_street_touring_gold-wing-tour-dct_2018?pp=48&sort_selection=recommended

[...] The salesman advised me that they have either 3 or 4 more crated up in the back that are being readied for display, so I may have to go back later to see what's on the floor.
Hi Don ...where at? Honda Houston? Wild West?

Looking at the above picture... seems like all the weather protection for your legs is now gone with the new model. That's one of the things I really like about my Win.
Agreed on wind-protection. And heck, based on the photo, my STs have more protection - the side panels for legs, mirrors for hands

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I still like the looks, but not particularly that color. Whether I'd ever own one depends on the passenger accommodations. If it was just me, then so far I like it.

Heck, I have fairing extenders on the ST, and my legs/feet still get cold unless I tuck them in tight. That puts a bit more strain on the old knees than is comfortable.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I have yet to see one , they will not be in the Dealers here in Canada until March 8 . Dealer told me today 800 are scheduled for Canada 300 of them already have deposits on them. At my age the last thing I need is a heavier bike. Will be sticking with my ST .

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
A lot of riders who have seen my CTX1300 THINK there is no leg protection. That's one of the aerodynamic features tested on the CTX for the new Wing. It looks to have the same, or at least similar, arrangement that my CTX has. I get about the same leg protection as I had on my ST1100, and my old GL1500 before that. Better aerodynamic design means it doesn't have to LOOK like a lot of plastic if the wind is controlled better. I'm sure that's one of the things Honda was attempting to make the fairing slimmer. I've yet to ride a bike that has any foot protection, but leg protection is a good thing and I do have that. Oh, and the electrical adjustable screen is on all models. I read in another thread here, or maybe on the CTX1300 forum, that there is an optional larger screen that fits both GW and the GWT. It's larger than either and costs half as much as buying the Gold Wing Tour screen to put on a Gold Wing. I remember now, it was in the other thread in this forum.

Bike
VStrom 650
It doesn't fit me. Where? My wallet.
Made me think, "I wonder how much a DCT Tour will retail for in the UK", too much.
£29700.00, yes £29700.00. Is it me?
That's somewhere in the region of $42000.00.
I'm just going to lie down in a darkened room for a while, that cannot be right? Can it?
Upt'North.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Made me think, "I wonder how much a DCT Tour will retail for in the UK", too much.
£29700.00, yes £29700.00. Is it me?
That's somewhere in the region of $42000.00.
I'm just going to lie down in a darkened room for a while, that cannot be right? Can it?
Upt'North.
Riddle me this, me being naive, why so much more? Is it the exchange rate or are you taxed more?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've learned to never say never.... oh crap.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I saw my first 2018 Goldwing today and have to say that I am not yet impressed. The one I saw was the base model with DCT, don't know if it had an upgraded infotainment system or not, but I don't care much for a GL with no top box or windshield. I assume an optional top box can be added, as well as a fixed windshield, but I would prefer the electronic shield for its adjustability, as our STs have and is standard on the GL tour model. The salesman advised me that they have either 3 or 4 more crated up in the back that are being readied for display, so I may have to go back later to see what's on the floor.
It does not have these things because you were looking at the replacement for the F6B. The base Goldwing is now the bagger model. It does have the updated info system on the base model. The Tour model comes standard with the top box and taller windshield. They have an optional taller wider model also. The shield is adjustable now like the ST's.

There is leg protection on the new wing. There is a wind deflector just behind the radiator opening. It is black and blends in on the photo that the OP is showing. It keeps the warm air coming from the radiator off your legs as well as air coming from around the bike. Your lower legs and feet are covered by the cylinders. There are also Honda line wind deflector kits for upper and lower protection like Baker Air wings. The aftermarket is also working on their version according to the manufactures that have posted on the GW boards.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The GW 18 I ride wasn't lacking any wind protection. The wind and wind noises felt the same at 90 or 60.

Bike
VStrom 650
Riddle me this, me being naive, why so much more? Is it the exchange rate or are you taxed more?
At the moment we get about 1.4 of your green backs (did I get that right) to the pound.
I appreciate that it's a simple sum and doesn't take into account other socio-economic factors but how many of you left handers would pay over $40,000.00 smackeroo's for a new GW. Hands up and form an orderly queue.
Upt'North.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
At the moment we get about 1.4 of your green backs (did I get that right) to the pound.
I appreciate that it's a simple sum and doesn't take into account other socio-economic factors but how many of you left handers would pay over $40,000.00 smackeroo's for a new GW. Hands up and form an orderly queue.
Upt'North.
Starting at $43K USD for the new Harley CVO Limited. 117” motor and still at 906lb. Ridiculous. Must be about $60K across the pond.

Attachments

Top Bottom