ST1300 Tablet Mount

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I would like to mount a 8.4" x 5.0" Tablet on my ST1300 where it will not interfere or get in the way of things.

I see that Ram Mounts has a mount that goes on the top of the brake/clutch reservoir.

Edit: The clutch reservoir looks to be the best place to add the Ram Mount Base.
It comes in either a centered or offset model. Going to take measurements of what is best...

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jay51 said:
The clutch reservoir looks to be the best place to add the Ram Mount Base.
I'd think an item that big would really catch the wind especially at speed unless somehow sheltered.

I've got an X-Grip to fit my iPad Mini over the Helibar riser with its RAM ball. I think the Mini is far too heavy to mount on my RBIS. I think the arm is 3" and gives me enough variation that it doesn't block the speedo and tach.

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'd think an item that big would really catch the wind especially at speed unless somehow sheltered.
I recently put a VStream windshield on and it keeps the wind out to the sides further than the stock windshield.
I haven't decided to get the center ball or the offset ball mount yet. Wondering how much torque and stress that it will put on the screws that hold the top of the clutch plate.

Byron

STOC #
Do you have anything mounted between the bars? If the tablet is narrow enough or can be positioned to miss the bars then mounting it off one of these.

ST1300RBMC-S.JPG

These are produced by Motorcycle Larry. If they are still available it creates a clean mount with better protection for the tablet and a more central view. I've had my GPS mounted on one of these and it has held up perfectly.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Someone had a friend make a custom mount and he posted pictures here somewhere. IIRC, it had two vertical posts that screwed into the handlebar cover screw holes, and a horizontal connecting bar. This was a custom fabrication and if you don't know a machinist or have knowledge and access to metal working machinery making one might be too expensive. It was, however, robust enough to hold just about anything.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jay51 said:
Wondering how much torque and stress that it will put on the screws that hold the top of the clutch plate.
Ehhh... Yeah that's another consideration. I'd be concerned the weight alone would strain those two screws unless a mount utilized the body of the reservoir for support as well. Add vibrations and maybe wind...?

Jay51 said:
I recently put a VStream windshield on and it keeps the wind out to the sides further than the stock windshield.
I'd also make a cardboard cut out the same size as the tablet and put it in the mount to actually see the wind's effect if any.

The height of the handlebar positioning does place it closer to your line of sight than the center position of Helibars or the MCL mount (if you can find one) but I think either is better for a tablet.

I also think looking at a much larger display than a typical GPS means quick glances could be less time consuming than with a smaller display similar to looking at your tach or speedo. Or the LCD panel. Maybe 5" x 8.4" isn't that big of a deal anyway.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Do you have anything mounted between the bars? If the tablet is narrow enough or can be positioned to miss the bars then mounting it off one of these.

ST1300RBMC-S.JPG

These are produced by Motorcycle Larry. If they are still available it creates a clean mount with better protection for the tablet and a more central view. I've had my GPS mounted on one of these and it has held up perfectly.
Alas, there have been more than a few comments about no response from MCL. Lacking any real information (by this I mean a note on their website that the business is closed, or a sign in their window, or a recording on their phone), it seems that those who were running the business after he died have closed it down and MCL is out of business. Do a search of our website and read what others have said.

You might find one used....

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Have you considered using the map pocket in your tank bag rather than a Ram mount?
I don't have occasion to use my tablet while riding very much, but I have used my tablet for a GPS a few times. While not as visible as what you are looking for, there's no reason to be concerned about losing it in mid air. You may want to give that a try before committing to using the ball mount.
My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy 7, but I think an 8" tablet would probably fit the map pocket in my tank bag.

Top Bottom