New Goldwing test ride

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
My local stealership will be offering demo rides tomorrow on the new 2018 goldwing. I'm gonna try and get a ride on both the models.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
One of my local dealers will be getting four in between now and sometime in March. My 'Wing buddy was talking to a woman who asked about his '05 who said her husband has a '12 but it getting a '18 DCT Tour. Her idea but 'Shut up and take our money' didn't get them a deposit on the bike.

The dealership won't take deposits but has a list and will call when they have what you want and you get a small window in which to respond. She's pretty excited about the bike.

My buddy doesn't think much of DCT but I'm going to get him to try one after riding the manual and see if it doesn't change his mind even if he doesn't get one.

Bike
2006 ST
I rode the DCT model yesterday. I think it’s the future of motorcycling. Took a bit to get use to not using and clutch or manual shifting. After riding this bike, I think I’d prefer permanent automatic shifting. Bike handles well.

Bike
03 st 1300
I was just reading about riding the new automatic Honda’s. I never thought about the concentration of shifting and clutching required. With the freed up time not having to shift, can be spent enjoying and making your trip safer.
I also tried to find out about servicing the new goldwing automatic. Our 2016 VW dsg dual clutch automatic required 40k service,
that was recommended be done at 25k. It makes me wonder about costs and reliability of that transmission. The fluid in the VW
tranny was 20 dollars a liter. Big decision to make, auto or manual?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was just reading about riding the new automatic Honda's. I never thought about the concentration of shifting and clutching required. With the freed up time not having to shift, can be spent enjoying and making your trip safer.
I also tried to find out about servicing the new goldwing automatic. Our 2016 VW dsg dual clutch automatic required 40k service,
that was recommended be done at 25k. It makes me wonder about costs and reliability of that transmission. The fluid in the VW
tranny was 20 dollars a liter. Big decision to make, auto or manual?
Honda has been building DCT motorcycles since 2010. Completely reliable with no issues. To compare them to a VW DSG is a disservice to Honda and undeserved for VW. Of course the GW DCT could be different but a betting man wouldn't take that one.

DCT requires no additional service procedures other than changing a $8 filter every other engine oil change. The hard parts are 95% of the same manual transmission and uses the same engine oil as the manual version.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
????
How long does it take you to shift????
It's not how long it takes to shift it is how much of your brain does it take to shift?

BTW, these electronic shift aids shift much quicker than a human can and never miss a gear.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
My NC 700 X DCT is a treat. Gotta say, tho, after more than a year I still reach occasionally for the clutch and/or shifter. Old habits are hard to break.

Mentioned above, only additional maintenance is the separate filter. No alternatives yet, has to be the Honda specific unit.

Functionally, I leave it in D vast majority of the time, use S when in heavy city type traffic, and use manual in the twisties. Usually just run 3rd and 4th, easy thumb/fore finger shifts. When in D mode, its nearly perfect as to shift points. Honda has their act together. Seem to recall the Gold Wing has more choices but probably overkill.

I'll take a test ride but the main reason for the NC vs another ST was weight. Seems the GW would go the other way despite the recent weight loss. OH, and $$$! I could buy 4 used NCs for the price of the big Wing. :D

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Just Saw 3 Wing models on display at the Dallas bike show last Friday. Looks and ergos for my ht. and riding position were right on. Very close to the ST1300.
Hope the great looking BLUE color is made available on the BASE model soon. Not in the market for the TOUR.
Ready for a Demo Ride at nearby dealer ASAP.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Looks good on you, or vice versa...

That's the colour I would get.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another good thing about the DCT is you will never stall the bike starting out in first (or higher gear if you don't down shift all the way). Also, it always down shifts into first at a stop.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ST-venture said:
Another good thing about the DCT is you will never stall the bike starting out in first (or higher gear if you don't down shift all the way). Also, it always down shifts into first at a stop.
My memory is a little foggy these days but it's possible that I maybe might've could've rolled to a stop in third gear. Possibly. Once maybe. IIRC.

I really want to demo a DCT.

pumper316 said:
Time to start digging the spare change under the cushions.......
WHAT?? No 1800 vs 1300 photo-shootout comparo?

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I test rode the DCT version and I'm in love with it. The right handlebar control has a switch to engage DCT A/M (Auto/Manual) and Up/Down switches from Neutral to Drive. I did hit a couple of signals during my test ride and the gear indicator showed that I was in 4th gear before I came to a complete stop. Once I came to a complete stop, gear position moved to 1.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Decelerating to a stop it sequentially downshifts 7-6-5-4-3-2-then 1. Depending on the mode selected Tour Sport Econ Rain the downshift points will vary, example if in Tour it might drop into first at 7 mph and in Sport it might select first at 10 mph.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
pumper316 said:
I test rode the DCT version and I'm in love with it. The right handlebar control has a switch to engage DCT A/M (Auto/Manual) and Up/Down switches from Neutral to Drive. I did hit a couple of signals during my test ride and the gear indicator showed that I was in 4th gear before I came to a complete stop. Once I came to a complete stop, gear position moved to 1.
DON'T TEASE ME! Between you and Dave I'm thinking just maybe I could swing making room for it. Maybe. And I'd probably have to get rid of the ST. Up until now I've never been an GL guy not since my GL1000 which I really loved.

So please tone it down a little. Or maybe I should just squint some when reading these experiences.

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
DON'T TEASE ME! Between you and Dave I'm thinking just maybe I could swing making room for it. Maybe. And I'd probably have to get rid of the ST. Up until now I've never been an GL guy not since my GL1000 which I really loved.

So please tone it down a little. Or maybe I should just squint some when reading these experiences.
As much as I like the bike, I'm going to wait till the 2nd year before buying it. I want to see how the market demand plays out with the pricing on this.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Has anybody checked on how much insurance will be on the new Wing? How does it compare to your current premiums.

Top Bottom