New Goldwing test ride

Has anybody checked on how much insurance will be on the new Wing? How does it compare to your current premiums.
Can you say "replacement cost"?

I pay cash for all my vehicles, so i can pick n choose insurance coverage. The key term here is "new vehicle", no matter if one finances or pays cash.

I guarantee it's less to insure my Gold Wing than to insure a 2018. However, I've not considered the 2018, so can't answer directly, though i could use the progressive what if calculator.

Bike
R1200rt
????
How long does it take you to shift????
most of the time it's a reflex rather than a thinking process. When driving your car do you really think about hitting the brakes, when I do my foot is already on the pedal.

Bike
CTX1300
STOC #
Rode it yesterday because I like the idea of DCT. After 60plus years of shifting I'm sick of it. I want a dct touring bike!! New Wing is great, but the lack of saddlebag/tour trunk capacity is a deal breaker for me. My CTX1300 has way better capacity as did my 2002 Gold wing. Oh well , just saved 30 grand.

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Rode it yesterday because I like the idea of DCT. After 60plus years of shifting I'm sick of it. I want a dct touring bike!! New Wing is great, but the lack of saddlebag/tour trunk capacity is a deal breaker for me. My CTX1300 has way better capacity as did my 2002 Gold wing. Oh well , just saved 30 grand.
Yep! The storage capacity is really disappointing. I was barely able to fit my Shoei FF helmet in the trunk. I wouldn't even dream about fitting a helmet in those tiny saddlebags.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
most of the time it's a reflex rather than a thinking process. When driving your car do you really think about hitting the brakes, when I do my foot is already on the pedal.
There is far more to it than stepping on the brakes in your car.

While shifting is indeed a subconscious action to a competent rider what we are attempting to focus on is the band width it takes when riding a challenging technical road. Our brains are doing hundreds of calculations per second gauging the vanishing point, road surface, entry speed, line, apex point, etc., what gear when and how, while taking in sensory data from inner ear, hands, knees, butt, feet as to what the bike is doing in response to braking, turning, accelerating forces. What gear to be in, when to choose that gear, how to upshift or downshift into and during the turn takes a lot of brain power that could be doing something else or doing something else better. DCT eases the workload allowing the rider to concentrate on line and speed selection. The result is a safer, higher performing rider. DCT also allows gear shifting in corners that does not upset the suspension which is something most riders do not do at all or do not do well.

A really good book on the brain and how it operates a motorcycle better is The Upper Half Of The Motorcycle by Bernt Spiegel. It's a book on improving your riding through understanding how we subconsciously become a single entity with the bike. Yes, we want it to be reflex and without upper brain involvement.

Bike
R1200rt
There is far more to it than stepping on the brakes in your car.

While shifting is indeed a subconscious action to a competent rider what we are attempting to focus on is the band width it takes when riding a challenging technical road. Our brains are doing hundreds of calculations per second gauging the vanishing point, road surface, entry speed, line, apex point, etc., what gear when and how, while taking in sensory data from inner ear, hands, knees, butt, feet as to what the bike is doing in response to braking, turning, accelerating forces. What gear to be in, when to choose that gear, how to upshift or downshift into and during the turn takes a lot of brain power that could be doing something else or doing something else better. DCT eases the workload allowing the rider to concentrate on line and speed selection. The result is a safer, higher performing rider. DCT also allows gear shifting in corners that does not upset the suspension which is something most riders do not do at all or do not do well.

A really good book on the brain and how it operates a motorcycle better is The Upper Half Of The Motorcycle by Bernt Spiegel. It's a book on improving your riding through understanding how we subconsciously become a single entity with the bike. Yes, we want it to be reflex and without upper brain involvement.
of course..... but when doing normal stuff I,m not thinking about it just doing it. No I'm not talking about technical riding, but we can (most of us ) walk and chew gum at the same time.

scootac

Will Ride for Food

While shifting is indeed a subconscious action to a competent rider what we are attempting to focus on is the band width it takes when riding a challenging technical road. Our brains are doing hundreds of calculations per second gauging the vanishing point, road surface, entry speed, line, apex point, etc., what gear when and how, while taking in sensory data from inner ear, hands, knees, butt, feet as to what the bike is doing in response to braking, turning, accelerating forces. What gear to be in, when to choose that gear, how to upshift or downshift into and during the turn takes a lot of brain power that could be doing something else or doing something else better......
After 40 years of riding.....I think I need to sell all my bikes.
I'm not smart enough to do all those calculations.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
After 40 years of riding.....I think I need to sell all my bikes.
I'm not smart enough to do all those calculations.
If you still like riding and prefer to do it the way you have always done it then keep on having fun. That's what it's all about :)

Has anybody checked on how much insurance will be on the new Wing? How does it compare to your current premiums.
I ran the what if calculator at progressive - I'd pay 1650.00 USD for the first year for full coverage, with no lien holder

EDIT: to qualify my answer - i pay about that much for all my bikes combined (keep in mind i have a GLK350, Jeep Wrangler, and 64 Buick on the policy which reduces the overall amount for all vehicles)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13

I ran the what if calculator at progressive - I'd pay 1650.00 USD for the first year for full coverage, with no lien holder

EDIT: to qualify my answer - i pay about that much for all my bikes combined (keep in mind i have a GLK350, Jeep Wrangler, and 64 Buick on the policy which reduces the overall amount for all vehicles)
If you're serious about looking into insurance and happen to be a member of AARP, make sure to take a look at their rates. I recently switched to them from a company that I'd been with for over 40 years and was very happy with because the AARP Ins co. (Foremost Insurance) was able to sell me the same policy for 1/2 the price.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Dduelin and I have NC700DCT bikes and he'd agree one DCT ride and you won't go back to manual if given the option.
DCT is the best of both worlds because one can go manual as I do all the time because of the WV hills I negotiate or full on auto if desired.
The paddles make it easier and more fun than manual. At stops the bikes drops to 1st it will never stall....a little heavier and much more complex however.
I 'walked' my DCT in and out of a creek crossing on several occasions where I would have been stuck on a manual bike.
With R/H throttle and left hand on the grab (pull) rail the DCT will go where a manual can't. I didn't realize this 'til I had to do it when WVDOH
had my road closed 5 days for maintenance w/2 creek crossings each way.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Not impressed. Was able to mess with one off the Honda stage at the IMS in Chicago. The side bags and top box opened nicely but you have to try to slam it shut a couple times. Nice try Honda. Too late to the game. I will keep my ST until I get RT that I really want!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Personally, I wouldn't judge it based upon how the bags worked at the show. Who knows what 100s of people were doing with them. The bags worked well at the one I looked at at the Dallas show.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dduelin and I have NC700DCT bikes and he'd agree one DCT ride and you won't go back to manual if given the option.
Well, I didn't find that to be true in my case. I picked up a VFR1200DCT for as friend and brought it to my house a few years ago. I rode on some distance on pretty 'interesting' roads including the upper portion of the Natchez Trace (very twisty). It was okay but just not my cup of tea, not something that lit any buttons for me or something that I would pay extra money to get. But then that's me and YEMV! :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom