Heated grips still working but worned out

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
20180211_084505_HDR.jpg20180211_084505_HDR.jpg

Heated grips working fine but worned out. previous owner rolled them with tennis grip any idea how can I fix this visual issue without replacing whole thing?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You could add grip covers like Grip Puppies or Grab-On Grip Covers with or without the tennis wrap depending on the condition of the original grips under wraps.

I'd be tempted to reapply with fresh wrap very neatly and then pull the grip covers over the wrap.

All of that affects the heat delivered to your hands so you want to consider how hot they get vs how much wrap you apply if any at all.

I bought these and they fit nicely over my BMW sport grips.

If you keep the wrap you'd want to wrap overlapping it it from the inside out to the end of the bar so the covers slide on easier. I think SuperSabre used 'ten-speed' bicycle bar tape to do something similar.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
That's handlebar tape for a bicycle. It should peel straight off.
It's easy to reapply if you like the feel of it and it's cheap and easy to find.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Easily taken off. Looks like the previous owner wanted larger grips. If you want to build up the size of the grips, use some 2" heat shrink tubing, then put new bicycle handlebar wrap over that. The heat shrink is not grippy enough, but will allow better heat transfer than foam over-covers. Grip Buddies are also a foam option that works well.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
I put Grip Puppies on mine and they lasted another 3 years before I decided to replace them.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I bought Grab On Grips to help make my ride home from CA more comfortable.
My son had replaced one grip with a red one, before finding that the left and right grips were different sizes.
The Grab On Grips covered them nicely, as a bonus.
The Q/A section on the Amazon.com site has a question regarding them working with heated grips, and 4/5 responses say yes. #5 hadn't tried them in cold weather yet.

Regards,
Steve :04biker:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yep, bicycle handlebar tape. I wrote a post on it somewhere around here. Gives great feel and adds thickness so my fingers don't get cramps from being wrapped around small grips. I put a layer of double sided tape on first to help.

Top Bottom