Burnt out ST1300 fan motors?

Bike
MotoGuzzi Griso 1100
Have I fried my fan motors - or are they repairable?

Doing a light , low budget resto on a surprisingly rusty ST13... I was very pleased with myself with repairing a fan motor that wasnt spinning freely (had a chipped piece of magnet floating around inside - easy fix). Tested it without fan attached on 12v from a battery and all seemed fine. Thought would test the other motor, also which span up fine.

Was feeling good about a nice fix, then for some reason thought a 2nd test with opposite polarity was required = 2 x dead motors (1 shows 1.7 ohms resistance, the other 2.1 and of course no movement when current applied).

Its now obvious I am no electrical genius, but this was particularly dumb, even by my standards... but my question to you - are the motors fried, or is there something I can repair.

Seems to be a fairly generic Honda part , Blackbird, VTR and CBR6 seem to use the same, so a trip to the bike breaker is entirely possible but I prefer to fix it

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cheapest place to pick up fans/motors would be ebay.

But there is a difference in connectors. I'm guessing 2002 to 2007 are the same and 2008 and later are the same. If nothing else, you could swap the connectors if needed.

Good luck!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I would not attempt to repair. Replace at least the motors. Probably tons of them on eBay.
You fans go out in Barcelona traffic or on one of those hot Spanish mountains, you are looking for trouble.

OP
OP
Bike
MotoGuzzi Griso 1100
Yep, eBay gave up a mint looking pair of complete ST13 fan , motor and frames for 60 bucks delivered to Spain from US... amazing

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi mrbutter,
I have a spare fan motor on my shelf , for a small fee ( +P&P) , if you interested ?????

regards

Tony

OP
OP
Bike
MotoGuzzi Griso 1100
Hi mrbutter,
I have a spare fan motor on my shelf , for a small fee ( +P&P) , if you interested ?????

regards

Tony
cheers Tony, have already ordered them, but if I have any issues will let you know. Now if you had a bargain radiator , then that would be interesting as mine is borderline at best! ;)

Top Bottom