Painting forks of 02 ST1100

Bike
2002 ST1100
I had to removing a NY state inspection from one of the fork tube and now the forks could you a fresh coat of paint. Has anyone done this and what paint and color I should use?

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I have used black epoxy appliance spray paint from Rustoleum that has held up good on my motorcycle. Just follow the directions.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
If I ever find the time, I am going to use Rustoleum matt finish....I won't disassemble....just mask well...I'll also shoot the calipers and wheel centers with gloss.
Probably try to get some paint on the center/side stands as well.

OP
OP
Dan T
Bike
2002 ST1100
So would handlebar Tassles but......... Black works.
I knew it was a black but didn't know if it was a flat black, matt black or a simi-gloss black. Come on, your not helping me here. :)

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Several ways to prep...Citristrip, sandpaper, bead blasting, sand blasting if you are really careful....don't want to pit the aluminum.
I paint fork lowers with wheel paint for aluminum wheels....primer, color, clear.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
The epoxy appliance paint is gloss. Rustoleum makes matte black spray paint but I don't know if it's an epoxy paint.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am going to make an assumption here (because I don't know and have never tested them) that the aluminum was anodized at the factory. If so I would not suggest abrasive means such as sand paper, sand blasting, etc., as this will strip the anodize as well. Less aggressive means such as chemical strip, plastic bead blast, walnut shells, etc. intended for stripping aluminum would be a safer choice just in case- unless someone already knows that they aren't anodized.

Several ways to prep...Citristrip, sandpaper, bead blasting, sand blasting if you are really careful....don't want to pit the aluminum.
I paint fork lowers with wheel paint for aluminum wheels....primer, color, clear.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looking at mine... I would guess semi-gloss. The casting has a rough texture to it and I would think matt may leave it looking more noticeable than semi and full gloss might require more maintenance than a semi, which can hide many sins...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I am going to make an assumption here (because I don't know and have never tested them) that the aluminum was anodized at the factory. If so I would not suggest abrasive means such as sand paper, sand blasting, etc., as this will strip the anodize as well. Less aggressive means such as chemical strip, plastic bead blast, walnut shells, etc. intended for stripping aluminum would be a safer choice just in case- unless someone already knows that they aren't anodized.
The fork lowers on my 1991 are painted, not anodized.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Me personally, I would clean the forks, then scuff them with a scotchbrite pad, and paint over the existing paint. I see no reason to strip it down to bare metal. Make sure you put your paint on in multiple thin coats, not one heavy coating.

OP
OP
Dan T
Bike
2002 ST1100
Thanks everyone. When it gets warmer here I will remove the wheel and any other items that will interfere with painting and paint the forks with semi-gloss black paint and I'll put two to three coats of clear on the freshly painted forks. It should make a big difference.

Top Bottom