Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting forks of 02 ST1100

Re: Painting forks of 02 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by Bush View Post
    Day-glo orange would make for a nice bump in forward visibility!
    Hi-Vis Green

Bike
    '99 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

The epoxy appliance paint is gloss. Rustoleum makes matte black spray paint but I don't know if it's an epoxy paint.
    Mike

When I ride alone,
    I prefer to ride by myself

I am going to make an assumption here (because I don't know and have never tested them) that the aluminum was anodized at the factory. If so I would not suggest abrasive means such as sand paper, sand blasting, etc., as this will strip the anodize as well. Less aggressive means such as chemical strip, plastic bead blast, walnut shells, etc. intended for stripping aluminum would be a safer choice just in case- unless someone already knows that they aren't anodized.

Several ways to prep...Citristrip, sandpaper, bead blasting, sand blasting if you are really careful....don't want to pit the aluminum.
    I paint fork lowers with wheel paint for aluminum wheels....primer, color, clear.
    Andrew

Bike
    2001 Honda ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Looking at mine... I would guess semi-gloss. The casting has a rough texture to it and I would think matt may leave it looking more noticeable than semi and full gloss might require more maintenance than a semi, which can hide many sins...
    I get in trouble the minute I think I know what I'm doing.

Bike
    91 ST1100/06 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Shadow View Post
    I am going to make an assumption here (because I don't know and have never tested them) that the aluminum was anodized at the factory. If so I would not suggest abrasive means such as sand paper, sand blasting, etc., as this will strip the anodize as well. Less aggressive means such as chemical strip, plastic bead blast, walnut shells, etc. intended for stripping aluminum would be a safer choice just in case- unless someone already knows that they aren't anodized.
    The fork lowers on my 1991 are painted, not anodized.

One process does not exclude the other. Being painted is not an indication that they were not also anodized at manufacture prior to paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbikefixr View Post
    The fork lowers on my 1991 are painted, not anodized.

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12