Anyone ever wrap an ST1100?

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
My '95 ST has passed 83,000 miles of which over 22,000 were in my care. Previous owner had it stored badly, and I'm guilty of having it in the Texas sun a lot, so the red paint is headed towards giving me a pink bike! I'm considering repainting, and more recently wondered about wrapping it instead. I have previously painted a vintage boat and truck with sprayers and feel confident enough to do it if necessary. I wonder if the wrapping wouldn't be a bunch quicker and possibly cheaper? Lastly, I wonder how many square feet of wrap I need.

Any tips or insights are appreciated!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
If it’s garaged and you’re careful with the vinyl, it can last a long time. I went with paint though. Love the difference and it’s like having a new bike! Bryan Dwight who painted mine can do some really nice work, but you’d have to mail a lot of parts to him to get it done.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for sharing that Grizzly, it looks good from over here! :)

I think I'll look into it further, as the cost is comparable or less, but it should be less work overall. Plus I can do it as I have free time, and not necessarily tear the whole bike down at once, like with a paint job.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I've looked at getting my 1300 wrapped. Price is something of an issue. I don't feel I could do a decent job on the really curved parts, so I'd be looking at professional install as well as the wrap itself. I can get a decent single color paint job for around 400-500 if I remove all the pieces. A wrap will run at least that much, and I have to bring the bike to them.

Cost wise it's looking about the same if not more for the wrap, and will it last as long? Yes, it's more of a "custom" paint job look, but I'm not sure it's the way to go yet.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I've looked at getting my 1300 wrapped. Price is something of an issue. I don't feel I could do a decent job on the really curved parts, so I'd be looking at professional install as well as the wrap itself. I can get a decent single color paint job for around 400-500 if I remove all the pieces. A wrap will run at least that much, and I have to bring the bike to them.

Cost wise it's looking about the same if not more for the wrap, and will it last as long? Yes, it's more of a "custom" paint job look, but I'm not sure it's the way to go yet.
Not trying to sell you on Bryan Dwight (BDscycles.com) but depending where you are in SC, he might be able to pick up the bike (as he did mine) do all the paint work, reassemble it and get it back to you. If a wrap will be that much, paint will likely turn out better.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I've got a test piece of 3M 1080 in Dragon Fire Red headed my way. I'm hoping to do the bags, maybe more with that for a test run. I've watched a few youtube videos and I'm now an armchair expert. ;P I'll post updates when I hit reality.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've got a test piece of 3M 1080 in Dragon Red headed my way. I'm hoping to do the bags, maybe more with that for a test run. I've watched a few youtube videos and I'm now an armchair expert. ;P I'll post updates when I hit reality.
My '01 ST11 is also a bit faded in spots and this looks like a really good thread to follow. If I was closer, I'd offer to help (or just watch ;) ).

Looking forward to your expert analysis, pics, tips and how-to's! ;)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks like on automobiles, the 'expected' life is 5-7 years depending on the care, whether it's parked outside, sun exposure, etc. For a bike that is garaged and not out in weather everyday, I would think the life would be extended.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
That's one of the reasons I went with 3M instead of lesser vinyls. I ride pretty much everyday, and unfortunately park outside in the sun at work -- this may have me looking at a cover or half cover to help it last longer. Oh, and don't ask about the seat... it was in bad shape when I got it, and my vinyl repair job didn't hold up. I now have new *marine* vinyl and am going to stitch another cover.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Like others I have had a vehicle wrapped. They look great and if cared for like others have mentioned 5 years is about the life. It is not cheap but for me it was much cheaper than paint. An ST is a complicated piece to do and there will be many seams and if done properly the seams should not impact the life of the wrap, but they will be seen if there is a pattern in the wrap. I am not sure if I would do this myself, wrapping is not an easy thing to do right on surfaces with a lot of curves and edges. Becuase I too have painted before I might lean toward that.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I've got a test piece of 3M 1080 in Dragon Fire Red headed my way. I'm hoping to do the bags, maybe more with that for a test run. I've watched a few youtube videos and I'm now an armchair expert. ;P I'll post updates when I hit reality.
What is your source, please? Sounds like a good solution for the scratches on my SSM pannier from the Lost Coast Loop. TIA

John

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
John, if you have a local place that does vinyl wraps, they may have some scraps that they could give you to experiment with. I did a mirror cover that way (sort of; it was tough to get it to conform to those curves). Like I said, it was just an experiment.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you take care of it and sits in a garage... they'll last a long time. I had 7 year vinyl that looked good for about 12 years. It wasn't bad enough to look poor until about 15. Again... that's optimum.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Not trying to sell you on Bryan Dwight (BDscycles.com) but depending where you are in SC, he might be able to pick up the bike (as he did mine) do all the paint work, reassemble it and get it back to you. If a wrap will be that much, paint will likely turn out better.
Don't mind taking it apart, it's getting it to the guy that's a bit of a PITA. I'm in Columbia, so getting it to Myrtle or Charlotte.... Charlotte is closer for me (2hr vs 3hr) I'm not looking to get anything fancy done, but I would like a "touch" of custom work. I'm thinking of having all the decals (honda logo, st1300, etc) airbrushed on instead of decals.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I wrapped all the black plastic on my 03 ST1300 and there was a learning curve and an extra pair of trusted hands helps. I would recommend using the 3M primer to help hold the edges down. I also used it on most of the surfaces as adhesives doesn't stick to ABS that well. There is also a knifeless tape that makes it easy to overlay different colors or terminate the wrap in some areas. Take your time and good luck.

https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Edge-Sealer-3950-p/3msealer3950.htm

https://www.metrorestyling.com/Knifeless-Tape-s/50635.htm

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
What is your source, please? Sounds like a good solution for the scratches on my SSM pannier from the Lost Coast Loop. TIA

John
This is the ebay vendor I used. http://stores.ebay.com/MetroRestyling?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I picked up a 2' x 5' piece. Looks like the single biggest piece I'll need would be 3' x 5'. I'll make notes of how far the 2x5 takes me and use that to gauge how much more I'll need.

I wrapped all the black plastic on my 03 ST1300 and there was a learning curve and an extra pair of trusted hands helps. I would recommend using the 3M primer to help hold the edges down. I also used it on most of the surfaces as adhesives doesn't stick to ABS that well. There is also a knifeless tape that makes it easy to overlay different colors or terminate the wrap in some areas. Take your time and good luck.

https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Edge-Sealer-3950-p/3msealer3950.htm

https://www.metrorestyling.com/Knifeless-Tape-s/50635.htm
Funnily enough that's the same folks I used for my vinyl Jeff. I did see the knifeless tape they sell and thought what a great idea. I am thinking I'll repaint my gray plastics.

Top Bottom