Anyone ever wrap an ST1100?

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
The test piece of vinyl came in - I laid it down briefly next to the tank for comparison - it's a bit darker red than the original color, but close. It was overcast, so you're seeing a strong reflection of the clouds on the vinyl. I'll try to wrap something this weekend and post an updated photo.
20180222_165848.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I started on the wrap today - a couple of small wrinkles, but am fairly happy. I figure the bags are as hard to wrap as any other piece because of the compound 90 degree bends.
20180225_141614.jpg

I also wrapped the mirror cover (in 2 pieces) and the gas tank flap. I still have enough to wrap the other bag and mirror. This is from a 2'x5' piece of vinyl, and will be ordering more today.

I wrapped all these pieces off the bike and needed a 2nd set of hands with the tank bag as it wanted to scoot all over the place. On the upper fairings and rear fairings, I'm going to try to leave them on the bike, and wrap in place.

20180225_175053.jpg

20180225_175042.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Work has been busy and the household too, so I haven't had much time to tend to the bike. I was off yesterday after 8 days, and gave the bike a much needed wash. I also wrapped the front fender - in 2 pieces. It was tougher than I anticipated because of the major curve front to back, and trying to smooth out the sides. No more pink tipped fender! I think I have 11 more panels to go... :/
20180313_204736.jpg

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Not trying to sell you on Bryan Dwight (BDscycles.com) but depending where you are in SC, he might be able to pick up the bike (as he did mine) do all the paint work, reassemble it and get it back to you. If a wrap will be that much, paint will likely turn out better.
Bryan has painted 2 of my bikes. The quality is way beyond a wrap. He's a good friend of mine so even tho' I may sound like a promotional ad, his work is incredible and speaks for itself. www.bdscycles.com

Don't mind taking it apart, it's getting it to the guy that's a bit of a PITA. I'm in Columbia, so getting it to Myrtle or Charlotte.... Charlotte is closer for me (2hr vs 3hr) I'm not looking to get anything fancy done, but I would like a "touch" of custom work. I'm thinking of having all the decals (honda logo, st1300, etc) airbrushed on instead of decals.
Go to the web page I posted above. He doesn't do vinyl decals. He paints and clear coats it. Depending on how much you want to spend you could end up with the best ST paint job on the planet.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, I might have to do that. I wasn't looking to do a wrap, but had considered doing it myself. At the moment though, it seems I have a coolant leak so I'll have to address that first. But, maybe it would be a good time to get the plastic off and painted and I can fix the leak and do the forks in the meantime... hmmm....

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Wahrsuul you won't regret it.

And I just saw your signature line. People are walking past my office looking at me and wondering what the hell I just laughed out loud about. LOL

Bike
1997 ST1100
I did a carbon simulated wrap on my front fender to go along with the modified color scheme on my 97. It's a salvaged bike. the PO laid it into a ditch that banged up the body work which is why the insurance co totaled it. Their loss, my gain. They did some mediocre repairs on the trunk, fender and mirrors and painted everything black. When I picked up the bike, I went with the color theme and used truck bed liner on the gray lower cowl, wings and side cover accents. The fender was in pretty bad shape having been repaired with bondo and a steel strip. E-bay provided a more sound fender that I cleaned up and wrapped. It was a bit of a challenge. I had to do it in two pieces but you can't see the seam. I just put it on late last summer so we'll see how durable it is. I would like to do the bags in red carbon wrap but I'm going to have to get a lot better at it. ST Fender Wrap.jpg

Last edited:
I wrapped my Vstrom in a color shift material that everyone loves. It came out great. I'm now wrapping my 98 st1100 in silver because the original black is breaking down and crazing in the Florida sun. A huge advantage is that the wrap will preserve that original paint. How many times have you removed a bumper sticker on a car and remembered what it used to look like. It's also easy to change. Rolls of 3M 1080 (I won't use anything else) are 5 feet wide and 7 feet of that is plenty. If it's your first, second, or third wrap job you might have to double it. I can pull complex compound shapes in one shot but it took a long time to learn to read the material. Good luck and have fun.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
If you look at my avatar, you’ll see that the PO did some kind of white wrap or plasti kote on the inspection cover. Both sides were done, as well as the gas cap cover.

Not a quality material or job, it looks like crap. Not to mention he picked at it, so there are lifted areas.

As CYYJ would attest, I’m not a guy to do a concours cleaning on my vehicles. For the most part, they get maybe one bath annually but never see wax or tire treatments or anything else that can be construed as coddling.

So at some point, I’ll pull the white bits off and if I’m feeling a little crazy, call my daughter in laws father, who owns an automotive paint shop nearby.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Bryan has painted 2 of my bikes. The quality is way beyond a wrap. He's a good friend of mine so even tho' I may sound like a promotional ad, his work is incredible and speaks for itself. www.bdscycles.com

Go to the web page I posted above. He doesn't do vinyl decals. He paints and clear coats it. Depending on how much you want to spend you could end up with the best ST paint job on the planet.
I've seen a lot of Bryan's work since I used to own a Kawi ZRX and he does lots of those. He does do some nice work.

Top Bottom