ST1300 Idle - anyone have a smooth one?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
My 2009 ST1300 is a relative youngster, just ~ 14,000 miles. It's idling is poor and has always been so while I have owned it. Up and down, occasional stall. I need my hand on the throttle when starting from cold, while it warms a bit. No probs elsewhere on the road.

I wonder about this. Is there something inherent about the V4 configuration that makes it a poor idler. I would like to think so. At least this would explain it.
Previous 1300 inlines (Yam and Suzi) have started hot or old and idled like electric motors.

Is it the V4 possibly? Does anyone have a smooth one?

Thanks, D

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I will chime in first, plugged or partial plugged 5 way tee and could use a TB Sync. Lots of discussions on this topic. That might be my first guess.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Assuming it is running well other than the rough idle the Throttle body sync (AKA Starter Valve Sync in the manual) would be my first try. Since you will be removing the Tank, and Air cleaner housing top and bottom to do the sync you should inspect the 5 way tee. The tee is known for getting plugged occasionally. Search on these subjects and you will find a vast collection of information.

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Reminds me of my BMW R1200RT that idled really ratty , It's problem was it's computer not reading anti-knock sensors and allowing engine to be way-advanced and was constantly predetonating , even at idle speed , eventually caused piston slap engine damage within 6 K miles from new.
My ST1300 , that replaced the lemon BMW , idles really smooth . like my GoldWing & like most Hondas ;
-- Get it sorted out before engine damage occurs !

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
As others have said, cleaning the 5-way T and balancing the starter valves (often called throttle bodies) will go a long way toward smoothing out the idle.
My 2005 with 33,000 miles was essentially transformed from a sometimes-even idle to a rock-steady, smooth as butter idle after changing plugs, cleaning the T and balancing the starter valves.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A 360 crank 90 degree V 4 cylinder engine has nearly perfect primary balance and this one has a set of counterbalance shafts to deal with secondary balance. It is electric motor smooth.

My 2005 with 174,734 miles has a balance-a-nickle on the gas cap smooth idle. Around 37-38,000 miles I had an intermittent FI light and corresponding rough or no-idle condition. The above described vacuum line cleaning restored the smooth idle. I did a starter valve synch at 106,000 just because and replaced the vacuum lines. The rough idle has never returned.IMG_2304.JPG

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My 2006 also has low miles, just over 15,000. It is rough only for a few seconds after startup, then settles into a smooth idle. FYI, it will idle high when cold, then drop down.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thank you for helpful replies. It is good to know the ST can be made to idle smoothly.

I have only last week re-assembled the air filter housing that I had fully removed while installing a new McCruise cruise control. I don't know of the 5 way T or throttle bodies adjustment so more research is required before tackling it. It may be a job for a more skilled man than myself though I would like the challenge.

Many thanks again, D

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
It may be a job for a more skilled man than myself though I would like the challenge.
If you can lift the tank and remove the airbox, you can complete the tasks. There are instructions on this on the forum very easy to follow and if in a bind, throw out a question and someone will answer very quickly. I will post the link to some instructions if I get time today, unless someone beats me to it...DavidR8?

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?100936-ST1300-Throttle-Body-Synchronization

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
It may be a job for a more skilled man than myself though I would like the challenge.

Felt the same. Mine had about 18k. Doing exactly what you described. I was lucky to have a friend close by. But after a long day with “Igofar†Spent the day working the intake was so fruitful in the effort. We made sure the 5way was clean and not cracked, then we adjusted the throttle body (which did more than smooth out the idle) all cylinders work more equally. Fresh filter. We put colder plugs in it too. My area gets damn hot during riding season. Cleared the faults, put some sea foam in the tank for good measure. Checked the fuel lines and buttoned it back up.
Results
First the idle smoothness was readily apparent - then the power band on the throttle was evidently more efficient - gas mileage went up. 8500 miles later still smiling

Digress. The point is make the effort even with a little help. The intimate knowledge you gain along with knowing everything was done vs dealer service and the riding experience improved makes for one happy rider!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st1300doug

My '06 has 80K miles. Purrs like a sewing machine. All the comments here are right-on-spot. You've got something going on there....... BTW: I run the correct ratio of Techron through my ST around every 10-12 tanks. Done so on every bike I've owned....none have had fuel-idle problems. Good luck on the fix.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Brilliant! Thanks for your encouragement. I will read-up and launch into it. My otherwise superb, supreme ST certainly deserves the attention to have the idle corrected.

Appreciated, D

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just completed a Sync on a 1300 for a guy and thought when I first fired it up, this sure idles rough. After the sync, a nice purr and crisp throttle. Take a look how far this was out as it had never been touched since new, 160000 miles ago.
IMG_0730.JPGIMG_3396.JPEG
Before and after. I cant believe how far out they were...

Sorry about the sideways photos.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I cant believe how far out they were...
That might be an acceptable sinus rhythm but geeze that out of sync. Luckily it's only at idle. Who spends much time there? :rofl1:

Seriously— nice sync! He must be ecSTatic!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Holy smokes they were out of whack!!!
(Nice Carbtune! )
Yes indeed, the carbtune is great! Now if I could only go door to door and make some cash doing syncs...better and easier than picking bottles on the roadside. But really I would gladly do this for anyone here on the boards for a coffee, or gratitude.

Top Bottom