My best friend ST

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I live in FL and I am out of car since last 2 weeks (going trough divorce and cars were on my wife name so she decided to keep them all) since I have been commuting with st everywhere. for now I just didn't want to make quick decision and buy another car I am still hoping to get back one of them . So I am on St everyday
have a office job My work requires suit pants, shirt and suit shoes
I don't like to ride without gear
My daily gear is
Helmet + Bluetooth
Revit ignition 2 jacket mesh leather mix (I also have waterproof liner)
Waterproof hein gericke pant
Motorcycle boots
Gloves

My commute to work 15 miles 1 way

So in the morning I am using my motorcycle pant as overpant and take of the motorcycle pant at the garage and changing my shoes at the office
I keep my all my gear at the bike thx to givi top box and side cases

I had couple challenges
Costco - issue resolved after installing givi top case
Hair cut - I found hair cut place near home but didn't want to put helmet on my head before shower so I had short distance without helmet. next time Im planning to get double wash and dry at the barbershop.
- if I need to go somewhere during lunch break I have to get all gear on me than.take them off again when I get back

- feel like St is very thirsty when u do short distance city driving I buy 93 Oct gas only

After 2 weeks I still enjoy riding everyday but started to feel like I need a car. When u do a lot of short distance trips just becomes too much work. Also Weather about low 70s in Florida now but I am not sure if I can do this when it is 90 degree outside.
best friends always help each other on tough days. I am very great full that I own ST Which is providing me all I need when I needed.

Attachments

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good post Arif. I'm sorry but hope things go as well as they can for your divorce. I too commute on my ST, wearing the same amount of gear, with some of the same challenges...

- I just wear all my gear in and change in my office (cube). I keep some work shoes at the office.
- If I go out for lunch alone, I'll usually just wear my jacket, not bothering to put on my overpants.
- A big top box is great... it holds my helmet when I go into a store and usually all the stuff I bought while I was in there.
- I keep my hair pretty short... no trouble with that for me! ;)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Bikes are a guys best friend.........in so many ways.......

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have shoes and an extra pair of boots here at work.

Thank goodness I don't have to wear a suit, so my blue jeans under my motorcycle pants when I'm commuting, but for short trips, the blue jeans do the job.

And yes, I've hit the ground at 65MPH and know what it feels like to have hamburger on your knees and elbows! :eek:4:

Dude, your bike is designed to run 86 octane. Most regular pumps are 87. You're wasting money!

This was a debate on one of the Goldwing forums I belong to. Premium fuel will actually contribute to more carbon deposits in your engine. I know, if it costs more it must be better! Not always true.

Get a good lawyer and get one of the cars back. And half of everything else.

Rayjoe

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Dude, your bike is designed to run 86 octane. Most regular pumps are 87. You're wasting money!
Is that based on model year or that it's a non-CA bike (is there such a thing)?

My 2010 owner's manual (CA bike) says ≥ 91 pump Octane. I've read here that some guys use Regular (87±). I've never used 'Premium' when 'Regular' was specified (as in my cars). But my owner's manual calls for Premium.

Sorry for the hijack and hope the road gets smoother.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I always wear a beanie under my helmet, something like this one on RevZilla. There are lots of different options. Check your local bike shop. It keeps the helmet liner clean and I can quickly wash and dry it when I wear my helmet home from a haircut, or when I've just spent a long 90 degree day in the saddle. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MajorTom said:
I always wear a beanie under my helmet, something like this one on RevZilla.
That's the same one I wear— always. But I don't ride to the barber shop ever. Just don't trust the liner will stop cut hair getting into the helmet.

But I still wear the liner because besides keeping the helmet cleaner it makes my helmet hair a little more tolerable.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
For sole urban commute I mostly dress up with jeans (there some with Kevlar inlays avail), light trekking-boots (good stand & ankle protection, like Lowa Renegate GTX mid) and a Dainese Air-Flux mesh jacket (featuring shoulder & elbow/forearm protectors), flip front helmet and good MC-gloves of course (hands are the first to contact the tarmac, even if its only a parking spot tip-over...).
I also rate a kidney-belt/back-protector combo essential, there some honeycomb designs around, excellent for summer/warm weather (and also functional under a full riding jacket).
Once helmet, gloves and jacket (+ back protector) are off, you'll get a pretty civilian appearance in jeans, a polo and wearing some "sport-shoes" (you'd even get away with (denim)shirt & tie there).
While in motion some mild rain doesn't even bother on the ST, for worst case (forgotten to check the WX in the morning :wink:) light over-pants and jacket will serve...

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
ST 1300 calls for 91 octane. That is only a recommendation I think. I have used 89 and even 87 when higher grades were not available with no ill effects. You might consider one of those Aerostitch one piece suits that have the armor built in, that way you can wear regular work clothes underneath and still be protected. Takes just a few seconds to zip on and off. Pricey though, and not sure how they would get along with Florida heat and humidity. Isn't Shuey from Florida? He wears one. At any rate I have been happily married for 44 years, but have relatives and friends whose marriages didn't last and it's always a mess for awhile, then things straighten out. Hang in there. If you need a car pick up a nice used Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic for the days you need to be in a cage. Last forever and get great fuel mileage.

Is that based on model year or that it's a non-CA bike (is there such a thing)?

My 2010 owner's manual (CA bike) says ≥ 91 pump Octane. I've read here that some guys use Regular (87±). I've never used 'Premium' when 'Regular' was specified (as in my cars). But my owner's manual calls for Premium.
My bad, I looked at the owners manual for my 98 ST1100. If your manual specifies 91, then go with it.

The only bike I've ever noticed a difference in running premium, was a two-stroke dirt bike. I run regular in everything else. Never had any problems or pinging.

Rayjoe

Bike
2010 ST1300
I alternate buying 89 and 93 Octane, and usually fill up well before the upper tank is empty - 3 to 4 gallons down and occasionally 5. Only time I run the gas way down is on longer trips - just my habits. I have a one piece 'Stitch and I would not recommend it for wearing over a suit - the gyrations getting in and out might damage your suit coat. Best of luck on your divorce. To paraphrase what has already been said, 'time heals all wounds'.

Top Bottom