SPOT Gen3 vs Garmin inReach

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Does anyone have any experience with a Garmin inReach? It looks like it has more capabilities than the SPOT Gen3, but I have had more experience with SPOT devices.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
No experience with inreach, but just dumped my spot2 for bubbler for tracking and an EPERB for an out of cell svc emergency. Just got tired of Spot upping their subscription and with the cost or a real EPERB now less than $100 more than a 1 year subscription for Spot. For me it was a not a question. Just something to think about.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have both.

The SPOT will save you in a pinch and is very useful and cheaper than the InReach. The InReach has the ability to directly communicate small text messages via satellite live and this feature is really what sets them apart. I use My InReach Explorer all the time to send messages from remote areas where cell phone service is not available. The SPOT can send preprogrammed check-in messages but you cannot communicates possibly important details. Too me the InReach is more valuable but both can be invaluable in an emergency.

For me the cost of either of these is insignificant compared to my life or the lives of others in an emergency situation.

Dan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Dan - Thanks for your input!! I think that I am going to go with the Garmin inReach Explorer+. The ability to send messages from an area where cell service is not available is key.

Tom

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I had a Spot. Got rid of it and went to an InReach.
Reasons:
- Spot was spotty (No pun intended) with its pings. It would miss several which made it virtually worthless as a PLB.
- no 2-way communication - push SOS then what? did the message go? are they coming? Hello??!!

InReach solved both issues plus it can be deactivated for those times when you are not using it which helps with the cost.

eg of missed pins with Spot

Screenshot (11).jpg

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I like the InReach. I would like to see Apple or Samsung come out with a ruggedized smartphone with built-in InReach tech.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I think the inReach is compatible with an iPhone. I feel comfortable that the inReach will synch with my iPhone.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Regarding the missed pins, do you have the % Fill set to 100% in SpotWalla? It's under Adjustments...

Capture.JPG
Yes. I posted that as an extreme example of missing pings. I have several others instances where it missed single or even multiple pings.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I have had a two spot PLB and use them in the airplane, bike etc. Luckily I have never had to use SOS, but tracking and sending canned messages is nice. I like the features of the Garmin, and the device price is ok, but the subscription price is brutal IMO. SPOT is $149/yr. Garmin is $34.95/month? Too rich for the amount I use it. I hear SPOT is increasing the cost as well, so I will wait to see. Not that I dont put a value on life, but since I dont use it very much, that is excessive.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Garmin is $34.95/month? Too rich for the amount I use it.
In cased you missed it there is another thread going about this- Garmin InReach GPS?.
I don't have one so I don't know all of the fine print but it is my understanding from that thread that you can activate/deactivate the service whenever you like. It costs $35.00 a month so if you only want it for a few months a year it could work out quite well.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I see that the DeLorme InReach is cheaper to buy than the garmin and has higher user rating reviews on Amazon. Couldn't find the subscription cost at Amazon though.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You can view the plan comparison directly here. Just scroll down the page. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Inreach Subscription Plans.jpg

I doubt seriously that you would ever use the texting capabilities, except in an emergency or if you're way out in the boonies...and on a different bike than an ST. For most of us with a sport-touring bike, we are sticking close to pavement and will come across cell phone coverage eventually. Where I found it could be good is in simply crossing over our passes in Washington. Snoqualmie pass has good cell phone coverage all along I-90, but Stevens Pass is another story. So for my wife's peace of mind for even long local trips, and then also for out of state trips, she can always find where my body is laying off the side of the road.

I was really considering SPOT at first. It's the one you always here about. But then I did some reading on forums about it, and the reviews were pretty bad. For those who had used it, the texting is only one way...and many found when they got back home that the text message never made it. What good is it, if you can't count on it? So I went with the Delorme inReach SE and have been very happy with it. FWIW, Garmin bought them out...and raised the price on the models. If you can find a DeLorme model, buy it.

Chris

Top Bottom