ST1100 Speedometer Gear Failure

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
FYI, for future ST1100 owners that this may happen to...

The plastic speedometer gear on my 2001 ST1100 ABSII broke. One of the two tabs was broken off. The gear just pulls/slides out of the housing. A few pics below...

IMG_4357.JPG IMG_4359.JPG

I have a spare wrecked 2001 ST1100 non-ABS, so I pulled the speedometer gear assembly off of it. The plastic gear p/ns are different between the ABS and non-ABS. The ABS gear has 24 teeth whereas the non-ABS has 22 teeth. The housings are identical, not sure about the internal metal pinion gear though. Since I had it in hand, I disassembled, cleaned and lubed the non-ABS assly and installed it on my ABS bike. Works perfectly... speedo reads exactly the same as before... about 1 MPH low at 60 MPH, according to my GPS.

Lubrication consisted of cleaning all parts and using some general grease to lube the ID and teeth of the plastic gear, a little heavy on the teeth. I didn't see anything in the Honda shop manual about maintenance of this part but I plan to clean and lube every tire change or two... only takes a few minutes.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Proper alignment of the stainless pickup ring while installing the wheel is essential; always observe them when having work done in an unknown workshop.
Frequent lube, at least inspect once a year is obligatory, done by me when I've already a finger in the pot for replenishing the marine grease-pack behind the wheel-bearing seals.
The lube will also work itself up the speedo cable, preventing it from snapping (which they'll do if left dry and prone to corrosion), but too much grease in the gear housing can as well jam, thus damage the gears; so apply generously, but don't fill it up to the rim either.

... transmitted from a CAT S60 thing ...

Top Bottom