My Camera Gear

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Nice overview [emoji106]
Ever tried time-laps in motion with bike mounted cam, and what's an ideal setting there?

... transmitted from a CAT S60 thing ...

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Great review. How do you deal with the issue that helmet mounted cameras are illegal ?? There's a huge debate about the fact that it's a manufacturing spec and not an after market thing. However cops generally don't know this so they pull people with cameras on their helmets.

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Jim, it would be great if you could show us the mounting points on your ST too. I tried an under the left wing-mirror mount but I'm not too happy with it. Would love to see what you've done and have figured out. :)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I tried an under the left wing-mirror mount but I'm not too happy with it.
Probably too much vibration, drag, etc...
I intend to go underneath the headlight (will have to observe front wheel/fender clearance when diving under full braking/hitting an indentation), on top of the crash-bar covers, possible suction cup bracket on the pannier lids (with tether ;-)) and a clamp-on bracket for places like the carrier stay...

As for legal issues: over here the do-gooders went berserk over any kind of on-board camera/CCTV, etc... (privacy rights and such...)
Motorcyclists however got away over "mainly filming scenic routes"... :doh1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have a look at the below thread- the poster came up with a very simple and effective solution that seems to work well.
New camera mount location.

Jim, it would be great if you could show us the mounting points on your ST too. I tried an under the left wing-mirror mount but I'm not too happy with it. Would love to see what you've done and have figured out. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
CruisingDog said:
However cops generally don't know this so they pull people with cameras on their helmets.
I've only heard of two incidents. Obviously there are more but I haven't heard anything of this happening as a widespread general practice.

The only debate I've seen is here in one thread. Maybe one day there'll be case law to settle the argument. I'm not inclined to put a camera on my helmet. (I find the movement really annoying.) According to some my Sena is 'illegal' for the same reason as a camera.

If a helmet cam were in my future I'd treat it the same as my Sena. Ride until I get stopped. Then see if I win or lose in court.

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I've seen a couple of videos in Australia with motorcyclists being pulled over for helmet cams. I do know there are places with laws that do not allow for "modification" of your helmet and that can be interpreted to even not allowing one to add a "IN CASE OF ACCIDENT - DO NOT REMOVE HELMET" sticker. These are also places where the pudding bowl helmet may be legal.
I did find my first camera annoying for wind resistance but have become very used to the K2s as they have a lower profile. You will still notice it a little. I have become very aware of the camera and try to move my head in as smooth and slow a way as possible. I will do a video in the spring on my hard points and I plan to add a rear facing one. I do need some more Ram Ball mounts. Hard points can give you a more stable shot and if there is a bit of bike in the frame you can really get a sense of speed and turns. We all have a tendency to keep our head as straight up as possible in turns, so the helmet cam can be deceiving as to how far you really are leaned over.
I'm looking forward to adding drone footage but I know that there are getting to be a lot of no fly zones. Parks Canada people watch YouTube too lol and I have heard of someone getting fined for posting video of his flying in Gros Morne National Park.
Glad this is getting a little discussion... so wanting winter to be over here!

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Nice overview [emoji106]
Ever tried time-laps in motion with bike mounted cam, and what's an ideal setting there?

I haven't tried shooting a time lapse from the bike... will do that this summer. The K2s will shot 1 frame per second, or 2, 5, 10, 30 seconds. I've mostly used the 2 second setting. I should experiment some more with that.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I haven't tried shooting a time lapse from the bike... will do that this summer. The K2s will shot 1 frame per second, or 2, 5, 10, 30 seconds. I've mostly used the 2 second setting. I should experiment some more with that.
I too will have to experiment; initial idea would be short time increments for movement, whilst in nature/weather scenes or night sky observations 10, 30 or even 60 seconds could work nicely.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
We all have a tendency to keep our head as straight up as possible in turns, so the helmet cam can be deceiving as to how far you really are leaned over.
Well we need to keep our head as straight up as possible. I thought I saw some footage from a bike cam mounted on a gimbal. That was nice. For demonstrating lean a hard mounted camera is fine but I find it tedious in a travel video. You expect it in a road race vid but I like to concentrate on the scenery and not have to be reminded it was shot from a bike. So a little lean goes a long way for me.

Top Bottom