Helmets Helmets that work well with eye glasses..... any favorites?? or advice??

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I am looking for a helmet that I can comfortably wear eye glasses with. NO I DO NOT wear contacts or care to.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I've worn glasses forever ... there is no such thing. Glasses, heads, ears, and helmets are all different, so you'll have to figure it out on your own. :shrug2:

I find that in order for the glasses to NOT be uncomfortable, for me two things are required:
1) the glasses themselves have to be shaped well to your head, being very thin where the 'temple' piece goes over/behind the ear
2) the helmet must not apply too much pressure around the ears. Too tight and you get achy pressure points where the ear cartilage is pushed against the glasses, too loose and you may not have good snug helmet fit for best results in a crash.

I have to choose my glasses carefully knowing I'll wear them under a helmet AND I have to choose my helmet carefully. I spend lots of time trying on helmets while wearing the glasses--I'll wear the one that fits the best around the store for a while to see if it causes pressure points on my glasses.

I've always used full-face helmets... glasses have to be inserted under my skullcap after my helmet is on my head. Flip up helmets make that part easier, however the 'fit' points above still will affect which one fits you.

Good luck.

:)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You didn't specify full face or other, so if you like an open helmet, the Arai CT-Z works fine with my glasses and is the best chin protection coverage, open face helmet that you will find.

Bike
2010 ST1300
BakerBoy hit the nail on the head. You will have to try YOUR glasses with a variety of helmets. Just because mine work with my hat doesn't mean the experience translates to you. And since many of us use different frames for sun and clear glasses, check both if this applies to you.

I wear a HJC IS max 2. Sun glasses and glasses. It is a modular helmet with a inside pull down sun shade.
My helmet of choice also. Good features and price.
Has a break in the padding for glasses, but still rearranges the ears when removing glasses.
Yes check with all glasses.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
I always find the helmets that are most comfortable and fit right on my head first and worry about the glasses second. I'm pretty picky about the fit of my lids as I find most give me pressure points if they are correctly snug.

I've worn titanium, plastic and flex-on (who knows what they are made of) glasses and have found that on some of my helmets I've only been comfortable with the titanium and flex-on glasses because of either how slim and close to my head they were (titanium) or how flexible they were (flex-on.)

That said, I have a new helmet (Shoei RF-SR) and its by far the most comfortable helmet with glasses that I've ever worn. The padding where the glasses goes is both softer and not as thick as the other parts of the helmet. The only problem with it is that the "channel" for the glasses arms tends to keep the glasses in a specific orientation, and if that does not match where it needs to go for you head, the glasses may be held off your nose. Not a problem for me, but something that I noticed with one of my pairs of glasses.

I think FortNine had a video n what helmets were good with glasses as well, so you may try that for additional options.

Bike
VStrom 650
If you want full face Shoei Qwest's and Gtair's work well with glasses.
As an aside I have just purchased optically corrected safety glasses for riding. These are available on Amazon in the UK under the name Volt X. Advantage is they are obviously safety glasses so no broken glass to worry about and they were probably 5% of the cost of glasses from the opticians. Don't know about over there but in the UK they hear motorcycle glasses and reach straight for the expensive options. Volt X also do bifocal sun readers and they look like your average sports specs. Haven't used them much yet but they seem OK. The GT air has a drop down sun visor and with the Volt X it seems to work well.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I wear a Shoei Neotec with Quiet Ride muffs installed. I fond that, like others, I prefer to fit the crash hat, then worry about glasses. I wear prescription lenses for distance, so, unfortunately, I do wear them while riding. I find that thin wire frames, or thinner plastic ( acetate) frames usually work best. I get all my prescription glasses from Zenni Optical on the web. ( zennioptical.com), and find their service and quality to be on a par with the best of brick and mortar stores. The advantage to Zenni, of course, is price-I don't mind if a pair of glasses I got there does not work for my helmet, I just order up another pair to try. My last two pair of glasses, one an acetate pair, and one an acetate pair with polarized dark lenses, came to $43.00, plus 4.95 shipping. That's for single vision, of course bifocals and progressives are more.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I use to use a full face helmet but the hassle of taking off the glasses and putting on the helmet then threading in the glasses got to be too much..... So I tried a 3/4 helmet and I can mount the helmet and remove it with out touching the glasses.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Bought a Klim modular carbon fiber. I always take the glasses off before I put helmet on/off. Even with the ear quite muffs able to slide the glasses in and not affect vision or fit. But that's my noggin. Happy with the versatility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Helmets do not perform equally. Check out this site to see how helmets perform in testing, in particular the chin locking mechanism of a modular helmet. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ There are a number of search parameters you can use to focus in on a brand or a performance rating.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My Shoei Multitec works just fine with my glasses, i.e. after I put the helmet on, the glasses go on with no problems.

I'd be surprised if there were very many new helmets out there that didn't work with glasses.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I do it the other way round and take my helmet into the opticians when I am trying frames !

The Shoei XR1100 is about the only helmet that I can get to fit my head and face. The visor on all helmets is quite close to my nose but this has more room than most. The glasses fit well after the helmet is on, and the helmet has recesses in the padding to allow for the autocom speakers - which don't interfere with the glasses either. The only problem I have with glasses is finding somewhere safe to put them as I take them off to put my helmet on.

I need glasses that are as wide as possible and have a slight curve to the frame. This stops the air from getting behind them when I turn to do a shoulder check. This wouldn't be a problem if I rode with the visor down all of the time, but I don't normally. In rain I close it but have to keep the base open just enough to provide enough ventilation to keep the glasses and visor mist free.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've been using the Cycle Gear Bilt Modular which has the Bluetooth built-in for the the last 5 years and it works great with glasses.

Top Bottom