Bottom yoke clamp bolts loose

Bike
ST1300 A2
Anyone had this before? I was just doing my monthly checks and spotted this!
Sure it wasn't like that last time I looked, but then I only tend to visually inspect rather than check with a spanner.

I'll keep an eye on it, but is this a common issue or anything? I did reset the height of the forks when I bought the bike, but I'm 99.9% sure I torqued both upper and lower yokes correctly. But maybe not..

Do you tend to use a threadlock here? The bolts didn't seem to have any kind of treatment on them.

Cheers, Andy.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hmm. That's a good catch, Andrew. Well spotted.
The manual doesn't refer to any thread locking compound - it just says torque to 26Nm.

One thought is that on those double bolted pinch clamps - like for the forks and for the wheel axle at the other end, If you tighten the first to 26Nm, and that bolt takes all of the load. When you tighten the second, it takes some of the load off the first bolt, which is then nowhere near as tight as it was. For this reason, I tend to 'see-saw' the bolts when tightening. Set the wrench a tad lower, get them both torqued to that value, and then wind the wrench up to full torque value. In a similar manner to tightening the bolts on a large plate - like the cylinder head or oil sump cover. I have no idea if this is the proper technique, but it makes sense to me - and if you have ever gone back to check the first bolt, you will see how slack it has become.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
How longs it been since U did the work?? Prob. missed a bolt. Been done before. Nice catch.
On my 2 STs, Ive never had those pinch bolts come loose. No need for Loctite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew_Lumb
Bike
ST1300 A2
I moved the forks in November last year, and didn't spot anything amiss when I checked the bike over at Xmas. I've done probably 250 miles on it since adjustment.

John, your comment about tightening one bolt, then the other, and the first coming loose makes sense. I will double check them tomorrow before riding again.

Won't bother with loctite right now then, thanks :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom