Replace gear-wheel for windshield unit

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Hi all

I was searching a replacement gear-wheel for my windshield unit but I can't found. It seams not possible to order. A full windshield unit cost approx. 500 Euros/Dollars and is very expensive (for only one worn part of it).
So, I'm an Engineer and I designed a new one and it works pretty fine. It's a 3D printed part (steel material).

For this season I will look on my prototype in use on this testing phase. When it works fine so far, I will present you the solution for ordering.
The costs of a part is approximatly 75$ without shippment.

What do you think about it?

Scheibenritzel neu V4 19.02.2018.jpg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Looks like a drawing lol. Looks good I guess, never seen the inside of mine and hope not to. But $75 sure beats $500.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That would be excellent..let us know once you've been able to test it to make sure it will hold up and not wipe out the cables too! :D

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Yes, the picture is a 3D-drawing but It's not my first real trial!
The upper part on picture is a copy of the original part. It was wear down quick. The tooth of gear are to short. lower part was the first with really gear tooth. I don't dismantle the part before, I had only informations from a friend.
TestRitzel.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So, I'm an Engineer and I designed a new one and it works pretty fine. It's a 3D printed part (steel material).

A replacement gear would be great. I don't know what goes first— the gear or the cables. Apparently the cables can sometimes be successfully rotated for new grip. No such luck for a bad gear.

Someone else had made gear copies once before and they seemed to work well enough. Don't know if they damaged the cables. Best of luck to you.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think you will sell a bunch of them to owners of ST's - and this is the way to reach us. I'd be interested when you get your gear finished. Is this printed on a 3-D printer in steel? What kind of steel? Is it hardened?

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Hi guys

Please be patience. first I have to try if it works fine for a while. I don't like to say it works very fine and after a while the replacement part wear rapidly.
I don't know exactly what the material is. It's steel and hard (magnetic) but it looks like brass when I turn the bearing seat.
Hope you understand...

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I like the idea and I'm interested in how it works out. My gear was fine but my cables were getting chewed up. after looking at it and moving things around I ended up using a shim to move the cables into the gear. That was a few years ago, so far so good.

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Yes that is an option when gear is ok. Turn cable 90° and us an additional shim.
But with a worn gear... :-(

Bike
ST1300 '03
An individual at carlermotorcycleparts@gmail.com was selling gears for $120 in 2015. Don't imagine there is much in the way of profit on these parts. I do not know the seller, have no personal experience with them, or know anyone who has used them.
Herb

I'm about to pull mine apart and may need these gears. Any updates?

Also has anyone contacted motion pro to see if they can duplicate the cables?

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
a short update after few months of using:
the 3d printed gear is worn. I used it a lot on the highway with 160km/h (100miles/hour). Additional I have a V-Stream windshield which it's bigger than the original. I think the additional air pressure from high speed was to much for the gear.
I ordered two new gears. Receive date will be at end of June. Then I will dismantle all parts and check also my cables again.
Hope those are well.
After this I will check the gear again BUT WITHOUT USING WITH HIGH SPEED .

***I don't like to say the gear works fine and after a while you will response that's s**t after few months.***

Please be patience...
...one more time

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Since I started to test the gear, I drove a lot of miles/kilometers and it works fine without any problems.
I would say, it’s a good part.
(Don’t forget what I wrote about the speed limit of use!)

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since I started to test the gear, I drove a lot of miles/kilometers and it works fine without any problems.
I would say, it’s a good part.
(Don’t forget what I wrote about the speed limit of use!)
Very good, I'm sure many here are ready and willing to buy and use one once you are able to sell them!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Even with the factory metal gear some of us use caution - raising or lowering the screen only at low speeds. Keeping the screen's running gear clean and lubed is also important. But it would be nice to have a replacement if needed.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Even with the factory metal gear some of us use caution - raising or lowering the screen only at low speeds. Keeping the screen's running gear clean and lubed is also important. But it would be nice to have a replacement if needed.

Also, having several wrecked units on hand, that I can replace parts where I need to, comes in very handy! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom