Quick Release Electrical Connector?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That it is where I installed a BMW style socket- actually John Deere because it was a lot cheaper. It was intended for plugging in my battery charger. It works well for this because it is close to the battery and therefore a short and easy wire run. I intended to install another plug higher up elsewhere for heated clothing but I never did because I found this one works just fine. It seems like an awkward location but it works quite well.

P2210001.jpg

Haven't a good place to mount a port for my WnS. Maybe on the side plastic bit that was added to the '07 or '08 and later.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
A last thought - Google “panel mount 12V coax connector” for another option for a nice clean, small-footprint install. I’m probably going to install one eventually to replace my current BMW/Powerlet outlet plug and adapter for my W&S jacket and glove liners.

0DE78448-A721-4DFA-B3D0-06F515AB32A5.jpeg

You can buy the bare coax sockets and plugs and do your own wiring/loom.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That it is where I installed a BMW style socket-
I was thinking of mounting a coax plug on the face of the same panel but your choice is more subtle!

John OoSTerhui said:
“panel mount 12V coax connector”
I've been eyeing that very plug John. WnS has it as does Amazon under the First Gear brand (WnS kit branded First Gear I believe). It is clean. That's what I was going to mount on the rear fender for my Battery Tender. I've got the WnS SAE > Coax adapter on the Tender. But I like Andrews's location better.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mikedo said:
Multi pack, decent price
I did see those and thought the same but as you said they didn't tick enough boxes.

I was also looking for some sheathing to cover wires mainly for ease of routing and looks. Only found one place so far and it was a little pricey for what you got. But it's pretty much a one-time purchase.

Don't know if I'll be going forward with this but it's constantly percolating near the front of my noggin.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
I did see those and thought the same but as you said they didn't tick enough boxes.

I was also looking for some sheathing to cover wires mainly for ease of routing and looks. Only found one place so far and it was a little pricey for what you got. But it's pretty much a one-time purchase.

Don't know if I'll be going forward with this but it's constantly percolating near the front of my noggin.
I generally use 3' sections of shrink tubbing from Frys to sheath multiple wires. Different sizes and colors there as well. Probably available elsewhere as well.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Trapperdog said:
I generally use 3’ sections of shrink tubbing from Frys to sheath multiple wires. Different sizes and colors there as well. Probably available elsewhere as well.
Thanks! Mikedo also suggested shrink tubing. That hadn't occurred to me because one heated it doesn't bend well. But I don't necessarily need to heat any or all of it. And it's much cheaper that the sheathing I've seen.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I used vacuum hose for my PIAA 910 aux lights’ exposed wire leads between the tupperware and their housing. Looks great. YMMV

John

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Not sure how well it shows on their website but the Bestem ones that I linked to in post # 8 come already sheathed on both sides of the connector right up to where the connections would be made. When I ordered it it also came with the correctly sized grommet needed for that size wiring harness and the crimp connectors are already installed.

I was also looking for some sheathing to cover wires mainly for ease of routing and looks.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I'm thinking about adding some LED to the saddle bags. :eek:4:
Cutting/drilling into them does give me pause.

A wider spread of rear lighting has obvious benefits. More importantly I like the idea/looks.
I had the same idea back in '09 because I really liked the look and much, much more night time visibility. The strip LED's were from Walmart and are still going strong. I used 2 pin connectors behind each pannier to be able to remove the bag easily and 2 more 2 pin connectors under the pillion seat to be able to remove the topbox. They are not tied into the brakes because I have a Whelen under my license plate but I do have them tied into my turn signals. Works like a charm.

Skip

Attachments

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I had the same idea back in '09 because I really liked the look and much, much more night time visibility. The strip LED's were from Walmart and are still going strong. I used 2 pin connectors behind each pannier to be able to remove the bag easily and 2 more 2 pin connectors under the pillion seat to be able to remove the topbox. They are not tied into the brakes because I have a Whelen under my license plate but I do have them tied into my turn signals. Works like a charm.

Skip
I've seen this set up on Skip's bike, it's easy and works well. No need to have a perfectly sealed connector... with the off set design of these sae connectors, the bike would have to be completely submerged in water to cause any kind of electrical short. Exposure to the elements causing eventual galvanic corrosion can be prevented with a film of diaelectric grease.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Andrew Shadow said:
Not sure how well it shows on their website but the Bestem ones that I linked to in post # 8 come already sheathed on both sides of the connector right up to where the connections would be made.
I saw that back in post 8. The sheathing is to tidy up some stuff already installed and other stuff to be installed that has just the loose wiring.

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Did everything work out?
Would you do something different these days?
If you like the idea, I should say that adding LED lights to a bike's saddle bags can be a fantastic way to enhance visibility and safety during nighttime rides. When it comes to implementing this modification, consider using a heavy copper PCB (I bought mine here https://www.andwinpcb.com/heavy-copper-pcb/). Such panels offer superior durability and excellent heat dissipation, making them suitable for outdoor and high-power applications like LED lighting.
Also, it is important to ensure proper wiring and waterproofing measures for reliable performance.
Hope it helps.
Ride on, and stay visible!

Last edited:
When I bought my 2004 I stopped by a sign shop and had some 3M Scotch lite put on the back side clam shell. I was told that it shows about half to three quarter mile back and was really bright

Top Bottom