New ST1800 in the Stable

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
My stable has grown by one. A shiny hew ST1800 followed me home today. Some might call it a Goldwing, GL1800BD to be specific. Non tour (I call it the sport version), DCT, Stallion Brown. I took a very brief run around the block, but roads are crap around here today. I can report that if you crack the throttle open when in "Sport" mode, you had better be prepared for what is going to happen. This stallion would have liked to buck me off. I'll be less surprised next time. In my brief ride I was impressed with handling and smooth ride.

I'll post more as I enjoy learning all the special things about her.

Attachments

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
... how is power/ acceleration compared to the ST1300?
I really only have a few miles in the saddle with this new one. Hard to say just yet, but my first impression as compared to my ST1300 is that it's got a lot more muscle. A lot of that could have to do with a significantly larger engine, or the 7 speed DCT, or the new bike euphoria. I'm trying not to compare too much with the ST, that I still have right next to the 'Wing, just like you should never compare a good dog to another previous one.

Time will tell ...

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
My love dealer owner test rode one in Texas a couple weeks ago. His comments were he never wanted a manual shift again; according to him the DCT tranny was way better than any human shifting through the gears. Also mentioned that in Sport mode it felt like he was riding a ZX 1400!
Enjoy your ride, it's a beautiful bike. Looking forward to comments from real world experience!

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
... I wondered why they stopped production of the ST1300. I can see why now.
I'll post some good side by side pics of the 'Wing with my ST1300 as soon as I get a chance. Maybe I'll add in a friend's CTX1300 for comparison too. When I call it a ST1800, I am not just being cute. I feel this is intended to be the successor of our beloved STs. The style is so similar it was one of the first things that drew me to look at it. In the small amount of ride time I've had, I think the "feel" of the ride will be very similar to the ST. With a healthy dose of added comfort thrown in for good measure. And the added power ... just freakin awesome.

I'm a gadget hound. So the new infotainment system is a big appeal to me. I have a lot to learn about it, but love how it's working so far. Others might want a simpler dash, and that's OK. For me, I'm pleased so far. Time will tell how well all the features work in real use.

I'll keep posting my observations as long as others want to hear.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Great colour! Keep the ride reports coming.
Congrats on the new ride. May she give you many miles of comfortable bliss!

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
How much did they charge for the driving lights?
We didn't itemize out the accessories I got installed, just dealed on the total. BUT by list price the "FOG LIGHTS" and the required attachment kit is about $500. I know, Mother Honda is super proud of their accessories. I payed a crap ton of coin for this bike, so I wanted her set up just how I wanted it right out of the door. I'll ponder any more possible farkles later after living with her for a while.

There is an argument thread over at one of the 'Wing forums over the brightness of the fog lights. I'm staying out of it, but you have to remember that these are FOG lights, not driving lights. There are specific differences between the two.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Cybervet, I love that color. I haven't seen that color in person, but it looks great in the pics.

Put my deposit down on a red DCT Tour, yesterday. Probably a month's wait.

The airbag model has a red/black paint that is beautiful, but not worth the $3000 difference just to get that color.

John

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Congrats. Beautiful bike. The back rest and what appears to be some sort of luggage rack are factory options?

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I wondered why they stopped production of the ST1300. I can see why now.
I agree. Even if Honda hadn't moved the Gold Wing towards ST1300 territory, I think there was little they could do to "improve" the ST1300 without moving it towards Gold Wing territory and thus hurting sales of their flag ship bike.

I do wonder if the new Gold Wing was already in the planning stages when they discontinued the ST1300. That would have been about 5 years ago.

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
... The back rest and what appears to be some sort of luggage rack are factory options?
Those were added accessories I had put on. I did not want the tour model, I prefer the blacked out engine and pipes. But need something to keep my daughter or gear from sliding off the back. Besides being functional for gear stowage, I think the luggage rack completes the look of the rump.

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
... I do wonder if the new Gold Wing was already in the planning stages when they discontinued the ST1300. That would have been about 5 years ago.
To the handful of friends that have asked me if I'm worried getting a new redesign model, I point out that it really isn't new. They've been riding and testing this bike for 4 years at least. I've pondered your point exactly because of this. I think they do intend it to be a merging of the two. Or at least are hoping for a merging of the respective owner bases of the two.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

GoldWing Sport

Beauty
eh? I really like the look of that 'Wing. With the backrest and the rack my first impression was that of an ST1300. Since the first time I called the new 'Wing an ST1800 I felt it was a natural progression of the 1300 even though not a dead-on replacement. But that a competent rider not bent on pushing the riding envelope to maximum could move this bike and not pine for a 1300. Obviously every rider may not act or feel the same.

Not saying everybody should replace the ST with a new 'Wing. Just that much of the hate and discontent is misplaced. I appreciate the attitude of focusing on what the 'Wing is and not what it isn't. The later should be done before making a purchase.

I really really really want to demo one. And I'll ride my ST along with my 'Wing buddy when he demoes it. Hope you get some better weather soon. Having that beauty in inclement weather is like having money burning a hole in your pocket with an itch to spend. (Although you probably don't have the latter problem now.)

Congratulations and YES— please keep us posted with your thoughts and experiences on your new ride!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll add that the GWS (GoldWing Sport) reminds me of the CTX and (obviously the F6B) and that when both the latter were introduced they were shown only with the shorty bagger windshield.

I felt that was a disservice to the bikes as it instantly seemed to polarize a lot of riders promoting an image many didn't like or want to be associated with. Just the addition of the taller screen changes the whole look of the bike.

And the 'gunfighter' saddle. That bike is definitely badass.

Top Bottom