Inclining the SMC

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the origin of the instructions to incline the SMC when bleeding the brakes? I have a PDF copy of the 2003 Honda Workshop Manual, but cannot find any reference to inclining the SMC. Many thanks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the origin of the instructions to incline the SMC when bleeding the brakes? I have a PDF copy of the 2003 Honda Workshop Manual, but cannot find any reference to inclining the SMC. Many thanks.
page 17-11 - you remove caliper and tilt it and in doing so, also tilt the smc and there's a dotted line along the smc showing the degrees.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
That is the same as in my UK manual for 2002/3.

It is so that any air can float up to the outlet port and from there up the line to the PCV bleed valve (which is behind the fairing in front of your right knee when in the riding position)

What the manual doesn't tell you to do is to pump the SMC piston whilst bleeding at the Proportional Control Valve (PCV) and/or the rear outer bleed valve. This is to make sure that any air trapped between the two seals gets the chance to be expelled down the line. It also makes sure that old fluid at the left hand end of the SMC (ie behind the inlet port) gets purged and refreshed. This assumes that you are using a vacuum pump. If not, then agitate the SMC and the Brake pedal alternately - a few pumps each. But vacuum pumps are desirable to maintain the steady flow needed to get rid of all of the air in the ST1300 system (while taping joints and flexing hoses).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fawlty
Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
Thanks guys. I have found it now. Must get some new specs! I wanted to print it off to show the mechanic tomorrow.

Top Bottom