Rut Ro!!!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a feeling that there will be some Goldwings parts showing up on ebay soon! :eek:4:

Bike
VStrom 650
Oh dear, do I sense a recall. I quite like telescopic front forks what about you?
But then again, you can't expect them to last forever.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I seen that on the Goldwing website. Some are saying that the Goldwing rear ended something. More disturbing is how the wishbone A arm just broke off instead of bending like a regular fork equipped motorcycle.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I seen that on the Goldwing website. Some are saying that the Goldwing rear ended something. More disturbing is how the wishbone A arm just broke off instead of bending like a regular fork equipped motorcycle.
Think of them like a tear away football jersey :rofl1:

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
May be Honda will admit to a factory defect and give the owner a brand new replacement Goldwing.
Kenny

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Maybe Honda designed it that way . . . like the crumple zones on cars. They absorb energy through crushing, before the energy is transmitted to the cabin. Breaking that front end, clean off apparently, would absorb a lot more energy than just pushing it back. Says a lot for the frame strength too, as the rest of the bike looks untouched. JMO.

Bike
2000 ST1100
May be Honda will admit to a factory defect and give the owner a brand new replacement Goldwing.
Kenny
Honda would not want to admit anything. If they did the rider or the riders family would "own" Honda.

Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
Kenny
Factory or design? Either will be blasphemy to the spreadsheet crowd at mother Honda. Although engineer is part of my title, I'm not really one but, still I wondered about that mechanisms capability to sustain the same, abrupt impact of a rear-ending.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Looking at the pic of the wheel again, it has sustained at least two major impacts on the tire/rim, concurrent with having ridden into the back of something. It would be interesting to hear the whole story, if anyone finds it.

Bike
2000 ST1100
You just have to think Honda did many crash simulations both by computer programs and running prototypes into stationary objects. So I just wonder if their data showed the whole front suspension shearing off into two pieces. That probably wasn't a catastrophic hit because the rest of the bike looks perfect sans the side of the engine. I think I'll take a fork front end thank you.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Forks will bend because they are not as rigid as that Telelever. Then again, depending on how hard you rear end another vehicle anything is possible.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
From the looks of the front wheel it obviously hit something really hard. In the case of hard frontal impact, would you rather bend forks then launch over the bars, or have the front wheel sheer off? Have you seen what happens to an F1 or Indy car in hard crash? Their wheels are designed to sheer off.

Maybe this IS a design feature.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Looking at the pic of the wheel again, it has sustained at least two major impacts on the tire/rim, concurrent with having ridden into the back of something. It would be interesting to hear the whole story, if anyone finds it.
I'd guess that impact one was to the car in front of the 'wing, and impact two was the wheel being forced backward into the bikes engine. Sure hope the rider(s) came out of this ok.

Bike
VStrom 650
Any of you GW nuts (nice nuts) know if this is the airbag model? Doesn't seem to have deployed if so?
Seems like Europe plates, but different? Maybe Scandinavian or Turkish?
Also on one pic there appears to be a chap/chapess behind the Armco barrier wearing bike kit, maybe emptying their leathers?
Upt'North.

OP
OP
forgitaboutut
Bike
GL1800 2015
Any of you GW nuts (nice nuts) know if this is the airbag model? Doesn't seem to have deployed if so?
Seems like Europe plates, but different? Maybe Scandinavian or Turkish?
Also on one pic there appears to be a chap/chapess behind the Armco barrier wearing bike kit, maybe emptying their leathers?
Upt'North.
I THINK only the red/black is airbag...not 100%....but that could only be US also...

Top Bottom