H4 Headlight bulb replacement instructions for ST1100

Bike
'01 ST1100
Getting back to task.....

I changed out the starboard headlight bulb today....not a bad job at all, thanks to the help posted here and elsewhere. I used an H4 bulb with an aftermarket adapter ring. I removed the small, black access panel just under the headlight lens and did some of the work by reaching down from in front of the handlebars and some by reaching up into the opening afforded by removing said access panel.

About the main thing I did different was that I cut all all three of the H4 bulb's "ears," vice just the bottom two. Doing so allowed me to more easily flatten the areas of the bulb's metal base associated with said "ears" (I did the flattening with a Vice-Grips, thanks John O!).

Also, I was able to capture a few decent images of the small piece that the retainer wire latches to. Here is a pic taken when the retainer wire is unlatched, followed by one taken when said retainer wire was latched:

IHTH someone!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The only problem with cutting off all three tangs is that you no longer have an orientation point to fix the bulbs to, which is important, as the filaments are positioned properly for the lens by having that point of orientation.

Bike
'01 ST1100
The only problem with cutting off all three tangs is that you no longer have an orientation point to fix the bulbs to, which is important, as the filaments are positioned properly for the lens by having that point of orientation.
Hi Bush,

Not sure if I agree....the adapter ring can still fit onto the bulb base in only one orientation (whether all the tangs are cut off or not).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hmmmm . . . you must have a different style of adapter rings than the ones I bought 20 years ago from CST. The metal rings I have use the top tang on the bulb to orient the bulb in the housing, as that tang is standard to both the Honda proprietary bulb and an H4. Then the lower part of the ring, where the tangs were cut off the bulb, won't allow the bulb to twist inward into the bulb socket, once the springs are replaced.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... For me here the EC-spec H4 headlight of the ST1100 works just brilliantly.
Yes indeed it does! I have one on my 1100 and it is well worth the money. The light pattern is top shelf and changing the head lamps (real H4) is a breeze. I tried to fake my way around it and convince myself things were good but once I tried the real deal I saw how wrong I had been. Unless you do a a lot of night riding, there is no need for auxiliary lights. Auxiliary lights for day time use, to help drivers see you, is a different subject.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I did the H4 upgrade today. The other day I realized my high beams went dead. At first I though it was something other than the bulbs because both low beams worked, but both high beams didn't. I checked the high beam switch and cleaned it with contact cleaner. I also checked the fuses, pulled them and put some dielectric grease on. Both were super clean with no corrosion whatsoever. Anyway, I ordered the shims and got some H4 bulbs and it works great! I almost used the Silverstar bulbs until I realized how short their lifespan is compared to the basic (140 hours vs 1110), not to mention they're almost twice as expensive.

How often can you upgrade your bike and save money at the same time? How cool is that?!?

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Both my low beams were out and in refurbing my new-to-me bike, I did the shims too - I'm using Sylvania Xtravision (next stop up from regular halogen bulbs) - best headlights I've ever had on a motorcycle! Even if they don't last as long as the "regular" bulbs, for just $14/pair from Amazon, it's not a big deal to swap 'em out and/or keep a spare or two on the bike.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I've converted both of mine to LED, Love the difference in brightness, pattern, and temperature.

I used adaptor rings and bought an H$ conversion kit. One done on the bike, and one while I had the plastic off......I have to say that one was easier than the other (if you ignore getting the fairing off and on, which was done for other reasons), but neither was fantastically difficult.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I've converted both of mine to LED, Love the difference in brightness, pattern, and temperature.

I used adaptor rings and bought an H$ conversion kit.
Interesting. I had no idea that there was an LED hi/low headlight bulb that worked with the ST1100 OEM headlight module's reflector and fresnel lens. Without exactly mimicking the locations of the two incandescent bulbs glowing filaments the reflector and lens was designed for, I'd expect wild diffusion and multiple artifacts. How do they work exactly...? Did you have to replace the OEM lens with a clear substitute?

I know of folks replacing lenses and installing automobile HID projector headlight modules, but an LED headlight bulb in an ST1100 is new to me. What is the brand and model please?

Also, info on the kit you mentioned would be appreciated. TIA

Edit: BTW, I have a shielded HID bulb (low beam) in my right headlight socket. Its glowing capsule mimics the OEM incandescent filament very well.

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Below is a link to the product I used. "Kensun? New Technology All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit (from HID or Halogen) - H4 (HB2) (9003) Dual-Beam - 40W 4000LM x2 "
Purchased from Amazon for $99.99 +tax.
"The LED chips are Cree made in the USA".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8HPJNY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I had converted my GMC ENvoy to LED, and saw a big improvement, so when I got my 01 1100, and rode at night, it was a no-brainer.

Using this kit with a couple of adapter plates, fitting is pretty much the same as switching to standard H4's. I used a Dremel to grind of the unwanted tabs.
I had to re-align the beams vertically, but obviously this was no issue on an ST.

The beam is wider at the area directly in front of the bike, then narrows to beam that gives a longer range. I've noticed I'm definitely picking up the reflective surfaces on road signs a lot earlier with these.
It also makes the bike much easier to spot (from the mirrors, when riding in front, but does wash out the running lights a bit).

So when I got my 91, I ordered another kit for it on the day of purchase!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Below is a link to the product I used. "Kensun? New Technology All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit (from HID or Halogen) - H4 (HB2) (9003) Dual-Beam - 40W 4000LM x2 "
Thanks, Jim! Very interesting. Nice to know we have another lighting option. Walking through the order options sez they don't work with the ST which I assume refers to the tabs but for which we have the workaround.

I would really like to see this install's performance, live and in person.

Thanks again,

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Video, I can do.

But live may take a bit longer, as FL and IA aren't exactly neighbors, it's too long for the wife to ride, and she'd probably get pissed if I went without her!
But I'm sure you'll get to see them sometime. My wife isn't confident enough to do FLSTOC this year, but it's on the cards for next year :).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I look forward to that day, Jim.

For those of us running the Euro headlight module, these LED bulbs should just be a simple plug-n-play. Bet I could buy just one bulb.... hmmmm.

John

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I have what to me is an obvious question. If it is so hard to do this (tight, lost pieces, etc.) why not remove the plastic and/or assembly? I have not done either yet but I got my new LED H4s from Cindy and am ready to install them. With my big hands and neuropathy (lack of feeling) I am hesitant on going into a small place that you need mirrors, etc

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have what to me is an obvious question. If it is so hard to do this (tight, lost pieces, etc.) why not remove the plastic and/or assembly? I have not done either yet but I got my new LED H4s from Cindy and am ready to install them. With my big hands and neuropathy (lack of feeling) I am hesitant on going into a small place that you need mirrors, etc
Do what works for you and if you need to remove the plastic to install the new bulbs then do it. I hope they work great for you.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Likely already been said, but it's easy to remove windshield, 'garnish', and 'screen' to get lots of room.

Top Bottom