Cruise Control Surges

I just got through putting an audiovox cruies system on. it works well except it seems to surge regularly. If I set it at 55 it seems to drop a little and then com back and so on. It is continuous, not just when I first set it. I have 24 lbs of vacuum so I don't think vacuum is the problem. I have a reseve canister.. Any suggestions what I should try??? Any help would be appreciated. I have helped put it on other bikes and never had this problem.

Dennis

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Make sure the DIP switches for Pulses per Mile (PPM) is set to 4,000 and Sensitivity is set for Low. Not sure about it, but could see how these two set incorrectly might cause surging.

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I may be way off on this one as I'm going on really old memory of some comments I think I heard.

When Txrebel was doing the install on my CC, there was some talk about getting the little ball chain linkage hooked up with some, but not too much, slack. Might this be the problem? Greg, where are you?

Fred :03biker:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Just tossing out some ideas...

Are you sure that you connected all of your vacuum hoses?

Did you use the check valve? Do you have it connected correctly?

Good luck.

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
Too much slack may be the issue...
Another thing to check is the routing of the throttle cable from the CCS100 to the throttle linkage. Make sure the cable is routed with a 'gentle' a bend as possible. If it is bent too tightly it could make for more binding in the cable than it can overcome smoothly.

OP
OP
Well I know the vacuum is working because I have 24 lbs going to the servo, and the check valve is working because you can shut the bike off and it will hold the there for in indefinate period of time. I have very gentle bends in the cable, and not too much slack, but I will try adjusting it a little tighter.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Well I know the vacuum is working because I have 24 lbs going to the servo, and the check valve is working because you can shut the bike off and it will hold the there for in indefinate period of time. I have very gentle bends in the cable, and not too much slack, but I will try adjusting it a little tighter.

How did yo attach at the throttle pulley? A little to much or too little leverage might cause a problem(?).

On ReSTored, I have NO leverage (CCS100 cable attached to the cross-over rod that joins the two banks of carbs, 1:1). Seems to work but I think SOME leverage would be better.

Anyone?

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
On my install this weekend, I set the dip switches to the aggressive setting. Going from recollection, which could be mistaken, I think it was 1 ON, 2-6 OFF and 7ON.

When I activate the cruise control, my throttle yanks back and I accelerate almost 5 mph before settling down to my target speed.

Does your throttle turn when you surge? What dip switch settings did you use?

Mandel

OP
OP
I have my switches set for light vehicle, high horsepower. 1 on 2,3 off 4 on 5,6 off and 7 on. I don't know if the throttle turned or not. I am not getting any jerk type surges just steady ups and downs. I haven't had time to adjust my linkage as some have suggested so I am not sure if that is it or not.

Dennis

Bike
ST
STOC #
From what you've said so far I guess that you have a vacuum reservoir. Is it big enough? I built one that maybe a little too small and I get surges on long uphills.

OP
OP
I made out of PCV 1.5 by 6 inches long. From what I have read it takes about 10 lbs and I have 22. It sets immediately whan I push the set button. I haven't had time to adjust my linkage but think I will try that first. But I do appeciate all the help everyone is giving me. I am sure between all of us we'll get it figured out.

Dennis

Bike
ST1300
Sorry to revive what might be a very old thread but this might help someone with Audiovox CCS-100 trouble shooting as it helped me. I just encountered these exact same surging symptoms after installing a new servo unit. Those that suggested there is too much slack in the cable are correct!!! The original audiovox installation manual says no more than 3mm of slack should be in the ball-chain connection. Once I properly adjusted the slack, my surging was corrected. FWIW, I have a homemade vacuum container from 3" PVC and my dip switches are 1,4,7 = ON, rest are off.

Jay

Top Bottom