OEM Bridgestone mileages?

How many miles did you get on your OEM Bridgestones?

• under 5K

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 5-6

Votes: 21 6.7%
  • 6-7

Votes: 26 8.3%
  • 7-8

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • 8-9

Votes: 45 14.4%
  • 9-10

Votes: 60 19.2%
  • more than 10K

Votes: 115 36.9%

• Total voters
Bike
STunshine
STOC #
I'm at the wear bars at 7100 miles on the rear. Lots of miles left on the front but the brown santa just dropped off the new 021's and they get changed on Monday.
I don't know how you guys are getting the mileage you claim on the 020's but you must not be doing the speeds I run at or I'm really messed up on my take offs and landings.
I hope the 021's do better or I'm looking for a different brand of tire.

Best and have a great weekend,:07biker:

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I got a bit of 13K miles on my front Bridgestone BT020 and it still had a bit of wear left to get to the wear bar in late June. I changed it when I did because I had to replace the rear tire when it and my rim were destroyed by a road object going through them. Since I was on a long trip and the local dealer where my bike was towed (free thanks to HRCA) only had Dunlop D220's in stock I replaced both to keep the same brand.

I've been somewhat unlucky with rear tires, having replaced two so far with about 6K each on them. They both still had lots of tread left and I mean lots.

I typically cruise at the posted speed limit plus maybe 5-10 mph (or so). I am a fairly conservative rider compared to many. I don't see how fast I can take curves, don't do burn-outs and jack-rabbit starts, etc. In other words, I take it pretty easy on my bike and tires. :)

I got all that hot rod stuff out of my way when I was a kid. :D

coty_jim

Wesley Terry
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Changed original front at 15,240 miles with very crazy wear pattern. The rear is going strong at 16,655 miles and looks like 20K might be possible(based on wear bar depth compared to the new one sitting in the garage). I ride conservatively and about 5 over the limit.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I am at stunned to hear the mileage figures being quoted in this thread. I picked up my 07 ST1300 in April and currently have 5500 miles on the bike on the BT020's. I have religiously maintained 42psi pressure in these tires and have accumulated miles consisting of both trip and canyon riding probably 75% of which have been 2-up with my wife (neither one of us are big people).

I am down to the wear bars on the rear and the tire is done. The front still has some decent tread left. It is fair to say that we ride this bike like a sport bike. In spite of loving to go fast and knowing the effect that this has on tire wear, it is beyond my ability to understand how some riders are getting 3 times the mileage from these BT's as I got from mine. Guess it is yet another of those unexplainable mysteries of the universe...

Brad

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
11,300 miles and counting. It looks like I have a couple of thousand miles of tread left.

James

STOC #
This is crazy. Are we talking miles are kilo's. No freaking way will I every get more than 7k miles out of a BS 020. After 3 sets, 6800miles max. I guess I could put it on the center stand and let her run a few hours a week.

My tires wear down the middle first cuz of all the straight roads I have to ride. And my riding style is obviously not rubber conserving. What am I doing wrong besides trying to have fun. No I'm not doing burnouts.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have 12K and change on mine now. They are just beginning to hit the wear bars.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Just replaced the front on mine 16,646 and it was still not in the wear bars on the right side of the tire but it was on the left, crowned roads. The rear was replaced also but it was a run out tire I have been averaging just over 12k on the rear ones.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm just about to hit 25,000 miles on the front, original BT020 Battelax. The rear has had some problems with holes so I have had 3 different tires on there. Almost all super-slab commuting miles.

I still have the original rear in my garage, plus I now have a brand new set of BT021's on hand. I'm looking for a spare ABS rear wheel so I can have a complete mounted set ready to go.

gonzo

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Just got a tick over 10 thou on my last set and the rear was a racing stripe down the middle and the front was starting to push and lose grip. Went from wear bars to racing stripe in about 200 miles! I liked the "stones" though and went for another set of the "F" series 020's Cheers Marty

I GOT 9000 OUT OF MY REAR TIRE IT SQUIRED OFF IN THE CENTER .THE STRIEGHT ROADS AND FLORIDA HEAT DONT HELP REPLACED FRONT AT THE SAME TIME STILL LOOKED GOOD BUT WANTED TO TRY DIFFRENT BRAND.HAVE DUNLOPS NOW 5000MILES SO FAR.:03biker:

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
^ do a search on the 021's, there are a few threads on them. I really liked them for the stickiness. the front was done after 8200 miles though, rear still had some left. I didn't like them because the front tire gave me a vibration in the handle bars...that's all I can remember right now...

got 9400 out of the 020's, rear was just into the wear bars, front had a about 1.5/32 left to the bar. changed both out just incase I hit some snow over the next few weeks, before I put her away for the winter.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
You guys are like the Twilight Zone people or something with those mileages.:eek:

I got just less than 5,000mi. on the ST and 3,400mi. on the Bandit out of the 020s (forced into it, bought the bike used and it came with new 020s, ST came new with them). Most all back road curves and short straights.

I hate them enough to never try the 021s, especially after looking at the wear on a Bud's set after not an over long-ish time.

I've got Pirelli Diablo STradas on the Bandit now and find their grip and handling to be decidedly superior to the 020s even in sliding conditions. Haven't had them in the rain yet, but the 020s were no great shakes in rain.

I think I remember seeing an independent testing lab rated their grip last amongst the well known sport touring tires, and that would square with my experience with them. Odd feeling tire too. Ran a friends bike with worn 021s on, YUCK.

020's, it's like I find I've got a bike that has a cold virus and runny nose, when I get a bike with them on. They are something I hope gets worn out and removed sooner rather than later.

Hey, but that's just me.

Actually it's odd, Bridgestone can do REAL well in MotoGP.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I did a 48+ on a new set of 020s and they were toast by the end of the ride - ~12000 miles and I expected that - lots of interstate miles. Rear was pretty well flat spotted, front didn't look too bad and I could have gotten some more miles out of it, but I changed it out anyway.

I think tire wear is dictated by how you drive, temps and how much you depend upon engine braking to slow you down. If you think about it, engine braking does about the same thing as hard acceleration except in reverse and its equally as hard on tires. After I kinda figured this out, I stopped engine braking and used the brakes alone and saw a decent increase in tire life - 15-16K.

My 48+ ride is NOT an indicator of normal tire life because it was mostly I-state driving and unless that's all you do, that's all you're gonna get...

Love the Battleax 020 - they've been great tires for me - and looking forward to trying the 021s.
It think Mike is spot on. Also twisties are real hard on the tires. Some of you run the dragon. What is that something like 300 turns in 11 miles??? or something like that. I probably don't do that all summer. My fronts would all have gotten at least 18-20K on them, but I changed them out with the backs. Anyway the fronts all start to scallop after about 2-3K anyway and you can feel the difference dramatically from a new balanced set of tires. Hard takeoffs are tough on tires as well. Brake pads are cheaper than tires and way easier to replace. If you get off the throttle and use less or no engine braking you will see your milages jump.

Bought a ZRX1200R in 04 that came from the factory with 020Fs. Rear lasted around 6000 miles, front I don't remember. Switched over to Stradas and the rears lasted about 7500 miles. Part of that extra mileage might have been due to being over new bike happy throttle syndrome - maybe. On the ZRX the front 020 would feel like it was sliding a bit in turns. Never felt confident in the front. Did not have a bit of that unease with the Strada which also turned in faster (kinda pointy profile).

On the ST the stock 020 rear was just into the wear bars at 7700 miles when I swapped it out for an ME880 (shows a bit of wear at 4800 miles). Picked the ME880 for mileage since I was far from home for work and did not know how long I'd still be on the road.

The front 020 is just into the wear bars at 12,500 miles and is riding a bit rough due to cupping. The fun thing about the front 020 is that it feels like it is sliding a tiny bit just like the 020 front on the ZRX. A little slide is not really what bothers me. The feeling that the little slide is not going to turn into a little more slide but going to turn into losing the front end without further warning bothers me quite a bit. The front 020 had this feel to it over its entire life. I'm gong to put on a Z6 front and see how that works. The Z6s are really similar to the Stradas in construction and profile. I'll put on Stradas for my next set if the front becomes available.

STOC #
Riding an 06 ST1300 and just turned 10,800 in one year on the original OEM Bridgestones...looking to replace with the same.

I only have 49 miles on mine. I don't want to start too much riding until I install ALL my MCL farkles - OH YEAH and NOW Larry has a 12V outlet for the risers, that I am going to order next week. I wonder if I will ever see 8k miles on the bike??

Top Bottom