TIRE PLUGS STRING vs MUSHROOM???

STOC #
I have heard that the string type tire plugs are better than the mushroom type but I havent seen any kits to buy. What are other people carrying and where did you get them??
thanks.

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
I carry both. String type are the ones that can be found in any auto parts store. Make sure you get the ones for radial tires if you plan on running the tire any length of time after plugging. Ive seen the mushroom type, and I assume the non radial type strings, are succeptible to the belts in the tire "cutting" them.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I carry both too. Only problems I've had is the plug getting cut by the tire's belts one time, and wound up patch/plugging the tire. Usually I try the plug first, if it doesnt take, I use the string type next.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I use the gummy worm type, I get them at Wal-mart.

I like the type from wal-mart that does not come with cement.
I was told that if you buy the type with cement you *must* use cement; but, the cement can dry in the unopened tube. Which means you must buy new cement now and then. I know that the cement would be worthless when I need it... so I go with the no-cement type.

I recommend the 'pistol' grip type... DAMHIK but; the straight ones can hurt your hand because you only have the end of the handle to push on when you're inserting the worm.

Mark

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Whichever you choose, I wouldn't leave them in any longer than it takes to purchase a replacement tire. Unlike a car, you don't have three other wheels to compensate should the repair suddenly fail.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I've practiced repairing tires I was about to replace with Stop&Go "mushroom" kits, and the cheapo string/cement kits, but I only got the string kits to work. Mark is correct, once opened you'd better buy new strings & cement <$5.00@Walmart>before the next season.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The two times I've used Stop & Go mushroom plugs were on other people's bikes (other people who were glad I carry such things), and both times it worked great. One of those guys was our very own Kempo San, who put a bunch more miles on that plugged rear tire.

On a related issue, I wouldn't recommend reliance on CO2 cannisters unless you want to carry a truckload of them. Get a compressor.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
On the way home from Hotglue's BBQ I holed my rear tire and used the gummy worm to plug it. Worked great and made it home with no problems or leakage. I have never tried CO2 cartridges, like Bones says you need a truck load. The air compressor I have I got at Wally World for $10, it fits in the left pocket with my pressure gage and the 12v connector I use. The first time it was out of the pocket was to show Mark what it looked like and the second time it was out was when I used it yesterday. The heat in the pocket does not appear to have effected it.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Thanks guys...
I was thinking of getting the combo from bestrest..
THE CYCLEPUMP, tire gauge and StopNGO kit .. but it is the cheaper stopngo kit? for those using Stopngo that works..... which one ?

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I don't know what the string says, but the mushroom says it's only temporary... My rear tire is plugged with the string type without the cement and it works well. Only thing is, at speeds over 100 mph, I can feel it going around... bump, bump, bump, bump.....

Probably the best solution, if you are going to run a plugged tire, is to plug it AND patch it! JMO.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have the gummy strings and a Cycle Pump on my bike at all times.
I carry the gummy worms and the 12V Campbell Hausefield compressor from Wally World. My current rear tire has 2 plugs in it and I'm starting a 7,000 mile trip on Thursday with that tire. I've used gummy worms as needed for years and won't leave home without'em.

Just purchased a package of 5, with a tube of glue, at Checker yesterday. It is awaiting use in my tool box, right saddle bag, under the sleeping bag.

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
Thanks guys...
I was thinking of getting the combo from bestrest..
THE CYCLEPUMP, tire gauge and StopNGO kit .. but it is the cheaper stopngo kit? for those using Stopngo that works..... which one ?
I have the original larger stop n go kit, and like it. I believe the only difference is the way the plunger that pushes the plug it actuated. In mine, it is pushed by a rod that is actuated like a caulk gun with a squeeze handle. The newer small kits I believe use a threaded rod that gets turned to push the plug. This makes it smaller and easier to pack. Ive never used one of the new ones.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I don't know what the string says, but the mushroom says it's only temporary... My rear tire is plugged with the string type without the cement and it works well. Only thing is, at speeds over 100 mph, I can feel it going around... bump, bump, bump, bump.....

Probably the best solution, if you are going to run a plugged tire, is to plug it AND patch it! JMO.
Use a razor knife and trim off the excess...

Mark

Top Bottom