PAIR removal

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Do a search on pair removal or smog over at http://www.my-mc.com. I think there was a recent discussion, at any rate, the search should bring up what you need. Planning on doing mine this summer sometime myself.

I'm not sure of what you need to do the ST, but when I did my 1200 Bandit I just fabricated my own out of some stainless plate. It really cleaned up the engine, and made doing the valves a whole lot easier.

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
Thanks for all the info. Ok here is a dumb question. Can I just disconnect the PAIR from the engine and leave it till I can farther brake apart the system? Or will that cause some problems?

Cheers,
Adam

OK maybe I'm the only who doesn't know what this is. So what is it and what is the benefit of removing it???
PAIR - Pulse Secondary Air Supply (page 3-17 of the Service Manual)

It introduces filtered air into the exhaust port to help support burning of the unburnt exhaust gases. Probably works better with the catalytic converters on the ST.
On my old 1200 Bandit I suspect it did nothing more than to dilute the exhaust with fresh air to help fool the emissions test. I removed it to clean up the top of the motor, absolutely no difference in performance other than losing about 10 lbs of plumbing.

Hope this helps. :biker:

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
I've recently removed the PAIR system on the 919 and added block off plates and it completely stopped any backfiring I was experiencing on deceleration.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Bike
Scarlett
STOC #
Thanks for all the info. Ok here is a dumb question. Can I just disconnect the PAIR from the engine and leave it till I can farther brake apart the system? Or will that cause some problems?

Cheers,
Adam
Hey Adam,
Here is a link to PAIR removal procedures that I stumbled across while searching for ST1100 info.

http://koczarski.com/Motorcycles/ST1100/PAIRremoval/PAIR.htm

The link at the bottom of that page brings you to Intuitive Racing's website and the blockoff plates from 93-95 GSXR's will work. I ordered mine from them but I havent performed the PAIR removal yet.

number9

Jason
STOC #
Here's a tip for ya - if you remove the PAIR, be sure and order new carb isolator boots (go between the block and carbs) they will be much softer and make getting the carbs back on much easier - also smear a thin swipe of vasaline on them to help the carbs slide in.

Also, replace the carb boot phillip head screws allen head cap screws and paint them a bright color - the allen head will allow you to tighten them with a long T-handle allen wrench without applying forward pressure like you would have to with a screwdriver - they can spin out of reach and then ya gotta take the carbs back off again :mad: The florecent paint makes them easy to see back in there when the carbs are back on.

I removed the PAIR on mine while I was in there replacing all the coolant hoses / O-rings, t-stat and radiator cap - no worries for a long time.

Attachments

number9,

Thanks for all your help and off line info. The pic's sure come in handy!
Trying to get a list of my parts now to do this next month.

S Lee

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
If it helps any, I had to do a coolant leak repair and removed the PAIR while I was in there. I wrote the experience up for my-mc. http://www.my-mc.com/messages/1/75504.html

There is a full parts list for the job as well as a full description of what I did. On my parts list, please bear in mind that I bought everything I might POSSIBLY need for both jobs just to make sure I didn't have to delay for parts once I was in there.

Joe,

That's a good write up! I saved a copy on my computer for reference.
The parts list is really nice! I will try to take some detail photo's when I tear into it...

S Lee

98' ST1100
02' Blackbird

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Glad it was of use. I was nervous about the job, myself, but I had the help of a great guy and it turned out to be no problem at all.

Cool Joe,

I bought mine from the dealer as a demo, It actually belong to the owner.
It had 1100 miles on it when I purchased it. Miles today on it reads 28,998.
After the ride home from work, add another 20 plus to it.

Never had any problems till recently when the fuel valve decide to quit on me on the way home! Had to get a trailer to get her home. But Thanks to the great folks of this site I got her fixed! I will also be preforming some extra preventive maintenance.

Thanks to your write up and some help from number9 I will be preforming this task soon. Hope all goes well.

S Lee

98' ST1100
02' XX Blackbird
00' Rotorway 162F

Top Bottom