Article [13] ST1300 - RECALL: Ground Connector/Wire Harness (Bike Year: 2003-2004)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I took a pic so everyone could see the details.

Edit 12/20/2013: This includes the 2004 now so I added a screen print from the NHSTA website. Also Bob aka acedantinne added the details for fixing the issue.

Has this been done to my bike?
If it has been done there should be a punch mark 10mm below the 1st VIN number on your frame.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
LOL.. it just has some contact info.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Got mine yesterday too.

Another dreaded trip to the dealer who will inevitably screw up something else when I let them fix this.

Curt

Bike
SV1000S
It must be the time of year to drum up business. I got the ST recall,.. and one for my PT Cruiser as well. And I thought buying new stuff would get me outta all this service crap.
Oh well... A good time of year for it anyway....

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I tore into my ST and found the wiring and connector in fine condition. Took pictures and took them into the dealer so he could order the parts kit.

I pesonally think the Honda engineers should be ashamed of themselves for creating such a fuel tank engineering nightmare. I have never been too keen of the tank prop methond of holding up the upper tank. Removing the upper tank is flat out rediculous. The ST1100 fuel tank design was far superior all under the seat. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Ray

Ray - any chance of posting the pics ? I have just had the recall but cant get mine looked at for a month (by the stealer), so I'd like to have a look myself in the mean time. Pics would be great if you can so I know what to look for. Thanks. Andy. :03biker:

Louie Louie

Mellow said:
I took a pic so everyone could see the details.
Joe, do you have any more contact info in terms of phone #'s.?
Thanks

In picture below, I added a bit of masking tape because there was a bit of chaffing w/ the screw.

Did I get screwed by Honda?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
nisbeam said:
Ray - any chance of posting the pics ? I have just had the recall but cant get mine looked at for a month (by the stealer), so I'd like to have a look myself in the mean time. Pics would be great if you can so I know what to look for. Thanks. Andy. :03biker:

Andy, depends on the re-call. If it is to do with the wiring loom and the earth under petrol tank. It is not a big problem, my dealer did it for me in ten minutes. If it is the one I am thinking of, you are unable to do it yourself, they just cut into the loom and then add another connector that goes to earth on thd frame.

Mick

STOC #
This is my findings from having a blown fuse on the (horn / break light) circuit. Earlier I wrote "A ground wire under the fuel tank was rubbing and arced against the tank". This was a problem, but not "the" problem. I've updated the pics since then and the true problem was found. Similar to Louis picture but a different bolt. I would suggest to anyone this area be inspected on your ST's for potential chaffing.

http://sc1riders.homestead.com/Grdwirerepair.html

It was a bear to find.

Last edited:
blumax said:
I also got one for my 2004 ST.

Jaime
I have a 2004 ST also, but I haven't received a recall notice at all. Is this for all of them or just a few??? I checked ownerlink.com and it's not showing any recalls. What's going on??

Bike
ST1300 Blue
ST-Rocketman said:
This is my findings from having a blown fuse on the (horn / break light) circuit. Earlier I wrote "A ground wire under the fuel tank was rubbing and arced against the tank". This was a problem, but not "the" problem. I've updated the pics since then and the true problem was found. Similar to Louis picture but a different bolt. I would suggest to anyone this area be inspected on your ST's for potential chaffing.

It was a bear to find.
Hi, I just got an 04 with 529 miles and I notice the head light fuse keeps blowing. I will check the harness for a possible short. Thanks for your input in this matter.

Bike
ST1300 Blue
Found cause of blowing headlight fuse

I checked the wire harness and found the problem to be not under the seat but at the front were the harness routes to the hi/low beam switch. I did not have a camera, but i hope you will know. The harness comes out from the frame to handelbar. on the frame their is a metal bracket that holds the hydrolic break lines, that bracket has a sharp edge that was cutting the harness and as a result the headlight wire shorted out blowing the fuse. I had to repair the nick wire ( blue ) added more insulation and a plastic sleve over the hole harness to prevent this from happening in the future. Keep in mind this bike only has 529 miles. I hope this will be helpfull.
Thanks, Freddy62

Louie Louie

"The Problem"

ST-Rocketman said:

It was a bear to find.
Exactly the problem I had. Thanks !!

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
ST-Rocketman said:

It was a bear to find.
Wow!! Great catch and thanks for the heads up. I'll check my '03 for this condition.

John

Had the horn and brakelight problem when I bought the bike.
Dealer had it for a week and said that they replaced the horn switch and kept looking since that didn't fix it and found a short in the wiring as it left the handlbars and went down into the bike along a body wiring retainer...
now I'm wondering if they actually found the problem or not.
Will have to open her up again and check.

Re: Pic of Recall - Grnd Dist Cnctr/Wire Harness

I think an additional "double safety" item to add to this repair is to replace the bolt with an Allen head bolt of the proper length. An Allen head bolt will not have any sharp edges and therefore less likely to act like a knife on the wiring harness.

Can't be too safe.

ST1300-Ground Cap Recall (Bike Years: 2003-2004)

Hi a friend of mine is ridding 03 stx , recently while doing valve synchronization we discover that his ground cap is being melted, We made a check with our local Honda agent to purchase the ground cap repair kit. They told us that they cannot sell us caus its a control item. So i am posting this on behalf of him to see any kind people out there that can help him on this topic. Thanks.:bow1:

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Re: Ground cap repair kit

The ground cap was the subject of a recall in the U.S. a few years ago. The fact that your Honda agent knows the part exists and that it's a restricted item says that Honda probably recalled them in Asia as well. He's probably eligible to have Honda repair it at their expense.

--Mark

Top Bottom