Buell test ride

Buell has been advertising test rides and for your trouble, you get a FREE Buell messenger bag.
I rode the XB12S.
Impressions:
This model has the more relaxed seating position and was more comfortable than I expected.
It was fun to get on a light weight bike again
The engine was "smooth", but only between 3 and 5k
Engine stalled at idle 2x's
Severe engine vibration during breaking was out of control

What impressed me most was getting back on the ST.
How did Honda hide all that extra weight?
How did Honda get a 750# bike to break better than a 400# bike?

The best part was walking out of the HD dealer with something for free - That could be a once in a life time opportunity!

Oh I love the ST!

STOC #
I didnt even consider the RT because of the buzz. I had a loaner bike with that motor for 3 days and I couldnt wait to get my GT back smooooooooooooooth. hehe

OP
OP
fastflyer20
Well yes it was.
It is always fun to ride something different. When you hop back on the ST, all those little annoyances we discuss seem to disappear.

Bike
KTM EXC450
I test rode a Buell Cyclone a few years ago. I was really impressed. At idle, the vibration was brutal, but as soon as you pulled away it smoothed right out. Good air management for a 1/4 fairing. Amazing brakes - better than anything before or since(even the ST). If it would have had panniers, I probablly would have bought it.
Pretty good praise from a guy who hates Harley's.

Glad you had fun. Nice review.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I put many thousand miles on the XB series while riding for Harley. It's a fun back-road burner but I didn't like it on the highway. Also, longevity would be questionable. We broke virtually every one they sent us all the way thru the test program. Guess they finally fixed the belt problem by listening to what Gates had been telling them all along.

Eric Buell has done (is doing) everything possible to make the ol' Sportster motor into a SPORT motor. But...

My opinion,

RP3

Bike
2001 ST 1100
STOC #
Didn't Lamborghini start out as a tractor company??? --just sayin'

I currently have a major bug to try and possibly/probably buy a Ulysses.
Who else has had this bug?
What did you do about it?

Top Bottom